3D Plant Design Software

ReMark

I'm interested in knowing if anyone here has any experience with one of the following pieces of software. The company I work for is seriously considering constructing a brand new facility at a second site and doing it totally in 3D. Thanks, in advance, for any input be it good, bad or neutral.

AutoDesk - PLANT 3D

AVEVA - Plant 12.1

CEA - Plant 4D - Pipe

Intergraph - SmartPlant 3D

PROCAD - 3DSmart

Note: We are also looking at the possibility of purchasing a new CAD computer too. I've been given a budget of $5,000. If you'd like to make some suggestions on various parts of the system (CPU, amount of RAM, graphics card) I'm interested in your opinions as well. Thanks again.

Edited by ReMark

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Dadgad

• SLW210

• f700es

Top Posters In This Topic

Falling on deaf ears? Strange, I just saw this for the first time, and I've been online and site, all day. Hard to believe with all the smart folks that post here, nobody has come up with a single bit of input, or suggestions in a reasonable amount of time. Oh wait, are we squirreled away in a vertical product forum here? Perhaps another forum would get you some input ReMark. Not to say that it is in the wrong place, maybe you need some more traffic is all.

Sorry, I can't help you. I may be clueless, but there is much to be said for consistency.

Edited by Dadgad

Well I have never used any of them but I'd say try the AutoDesk version for the 30 day demo period and see how that works for him. It will be running in ACad so he will at least be familiar with the interface. If that works then get the Plant design suite.

f700es: Want to take a run at the computer specs? I'm thinking a Xeon CPU rather than an i7. I'm also looking at the nVidia Quadro 4000 (2GB) and either 16 or 32GB of RAM. I may even opt for two hard drives. The first would be a 120GB SSD (for the OS and the programs) and the second would be a 10,000 rpm 300GB WD VelociRaptor (for my data files).

The design will encompass the entire site (20-40 acres), all process buildings, offices, labs, tank farms, warehouses, utility (elec, cooling water, chilled water, nitrogen, steam, etc.), all piping, tanks, pumps and other equipment. And that's just the start.

f700es: Want to take a run at the computer specs? I'm thinking a Xeon CPU rather than an i7. I'm also looking at the nVidia Quadro 4000 (2GB) and either 16 or 32GB of RAM. I may even opt for two hard drives. The first would be a 120GB SSD (for the OS and the programs) and the second would be a 10,000 rpm 300GB WD VelociRaptor (for my data files).

The design will encompass the entire site (20-40 acres), all process buildings, offices, labs, tank farms, warehouses, utility (elec, cooling water, chilled water, nitrogen, steam, etc.), all piping, tanks, pumps and other equipment. And that's just the start.

Upgrade! Sounds like fun.

Better busy than bored!

p.p.s. Have you considered a Mac?

Yes, I considered mac-n-cheese. Why? Are you inviting me to lunch?

I need a computer with some muscle so a Mac is not even on the list.

Yes, I considered mac-n-cheese. Why? Are you inviting me to lunch?

I need a computer with some muscle so a Mac is not even on the list.

Given your numerous posts on the topic, I had a sneaking suspicion such was the case. It was said in jest, no offense meant, and I love macaroni and cheese, especially when the crust gets nice and crunchy. Next time you're in paradise, it would be my pleasure to take you out for lunch. I know a place that does it pretty well.

f700es certainly makes a very valid point about a free trial.

onward and upward

No offense was taken so we're good to go. :)

I had planned a trip to Tahiti back in late 2008 when all hell broke loose. Had to cancel. Needed the money to stay afloat the next 20 months.

Yes, the free trial does make a lot of sense and I don't necessarily have to wait until the new computer arrives.

Lunch? Sounds good. How's your schedule look for next Wednesday? I'll have to travel through time though. Once I'm on island I can't go back. Can I sleep in a hammock in your back yard? LOL

As for hardware, well Mac is out of the question as the AutoDesk plant suite does not run on OSX so that is out. I am a little disappointed with my Xeon at work but that was under Vista-32. It was sent off to be re-imaged with Win 7 64-bit so I might be better informed when it gets back. For the money it is hard to beat the new 2nd gen core i7 based systems. Sure the mac can run Windows but...

Just to compare..

Mac Pro Tower: $2,499.00

2.8 ghz quad core Xeon

3gb ram

1 tb hdd

18x DVDrw

ATI HD5770 1 gb

Dell XPS 8300: $1,400.00

3.4 ghz core i7-2600

16gb ram

1.5 tb raid 0

ATI HD 6770 1 gb

Blu-ray combo drive

That is a hefty up-charge for that pretty case ;)

No offense was taken so we're good to go. :)

I had planned a trip to Tahiti back in late 2008 when all hell broke loose. Had to cancel. Needed the money to stay afloat the next 20 months.

Yes, the free trial does make a lot of sense and I don't necessarily have to wait until the new computer arrives.

Lunch? Sounds good. How's your schedule look for next Wednesday? I'll have to travel through time though. Once I'm on island I can't go back. Can I sleep in a hammock in your back yard? LOL

I'm sitting outside working at 10:30 pm, and as we have had a lot of rain in the last week the frogs are going ballistic with courting calls in the river behind our house. Wednesday it is then. No problem with the hammock, unless one of those big papayas decides you're about due for a rude awakening and breakfast.

Well the Mac is definitely a "no go".

As for Dell....well let's just say that a coworker's Dell XPS performs so poorly he has threatened to throw it out the window. I'm looking at a custom built computer. Currently considering Xi Computers and a company called ThinkMate.

I had considered an Intel i7 2nd gen 2700(?) overclocked to 4.5GHz (glycol cooled of course). I suspect if we do this then at some point the big boys are going to want to see a rendering (which I have never done) and that is why I even thought of going with 32GB. Hey, they tell me they are willing to pick up the tab. I might as well go all out right? Might be my last chance. LOL

The Dell was just to compare how over priced the Mac towers are. I predict that soon Apple will only produce laptops and mobile devices. You heard it here 1st folks. They will drop desktop towers 1st and then scale back to 1 model each of the iMac and mini. You can't been seen in a coffee shop with an iMac or mini ;)

Well the Mac is definitely a "no go".

As for Dell....well let's just say that a coworker's Dell XPS performs so poorly he has threatened to throw it out the window. I'm looking at a custom built computer. Currently considering Xi Computers and a company called ThinkMate.

I had considered an Intel i7 2nd gen 2700(?) overclocked to 4.5GHz (glycol cooled of course). I suspect if we do this then at some point the big boys are going to want to see a rendering (which I have never done) and that is why I even thought of going with 32GB. Hey, they tell me they are willing to pick up the tab. I might as well go all out right? Might be my last chance. LOL

I have the Dell XPS 15Z, got it a few months back as a slightly more portable platform than the 21 1/2 " HP. I really haven't worked on it very much yet, seems pretty good so far. Hard to compare though, as the HP is 32 bit with Vista and the Dell is 64 bit with Windows 7.

The amount of bread that this project represents means that you probably have carte blanche, don't hold back. Get a platform befitting their great expectations, and the superlative job that you know you will do. No time like the pleasant!

Given what I expect the company will have to spend over time to do this project whatever the hardware/software costs turn out to be, by comparison, they'll amount to one drop of water in an entire ocean.

Given what I expect the company will have to spend over time to do this project whatever the hardware/software costs turn out to be, by comparison, they'll amount to one drop of water in an entire ocean.

Not even close, more like one molecule, statistically inconsequential. Get the best tool you can, you deserve it.

Sorry I had a response almost completed yesterday, but work beckoned and I had to delete.

I have been researching for the last few months, the company VP wants me to 3d the entire facility here.

I have not trialed any yet but here goes.

I narrowed the list to AutoCAD Plant 3D, Bentley AutoPLANT and Intergraph SmartPlant 3D. The Suites from Autodesk seems to be the most bang for the buck IMHO, though I believe Bentley AutoPLANT is the most used.

For the computer, just go to the Xi site and configure till you max your $5000 budget. I think

I'm thinking a Xeon CPU rather than an i7. I'm also looking at the nVidia Quadro 4000 (2GB) and either 16 or 32GB of RAM. I may even opt for two hard drives. The first would be a 120GB SSD (for the OS and the programs) and the second would be a 10,000 rpm 300GB WD VelociRaptor (for my data files).

Is a good start, but I think the i7 is still within your budget.

I'm still not sure which is really better, the Xeon or the i7. I have an i7 in the computer I'm using now. I talked myself out of a Xeon when I ordered it! LOL

I read that there might be a piping limitation using Plant 3D once one gets up to 100 pipe runs. Not sure how that figure was arrived at or if it included flanges, valves, etc.