AutoCAD Slows down

Ells

I notice that if I have several drawings open my AutoCAD slows down quite abit. This also happens if I have AutoCAD open and I open several drawings one at a time. I looked for the paging file but I cannot find it to adjust the max size. Is this where I should be looking and if so how do I get there? If I shut down AutoCAD and restart it the program works faster for the first few drawings. My machine has been upgraded to 6 gig of ram and the OS is Windows 7 pro.

Are your OS and AutoCAD program both 64-bit?

What else is running in the background?

Are xrefs used? What about point filters?

Could it be you have a bloated scalelist in one or more of the opened drawings?

Is your version of AutoCAD current with all updates?

You should probably change your computer details.

In addition to the 64 bit question... What is your video RAM? From my experience, System RAM AND Video RAM can both lead to slow down if either/both are too small...BTW...6 GB RAM running Win7 may need to be increased (IMHO).

I think 6 is plenty, i run windows 7 64 Premium at home on 4 gigs with both Inventor (1000+ part assemblies) with AutoCAD simeltaneously without any issues.

Oh, and another thing...what virus protection program is running in the background? Some of the "popular" virus protection services are system resource hogs.

I notice that if I have several drawings open my AutoCAD slows down quite abit. This also happens if I have AutoCAD open and I open several drawings one at a time. I looked for the paging file but I cannot find it to adjust the max size. Is this where I should be looking and if so how do I get there? If I shut down AutoCAD and restart it the program works faster for the first few drawings. My machine has been upgraded to 6 gig of ram and the OS is Windows 7 pro.

What Graphics card?

Have you tried monitoring your processes?

Control Panel>System>Advanced System Settings>Advanced (Tab)>Settings>Advanced (Tab)>Virtual Memory>Change (Button)

Google "How to Speed Up Windows 7" and do as much as you feel necessary.

See THIS and kill InfoCenter in AutoCAD.

In addition to the 64 bit question... What is your video RAM? From my experience, System RAM AND Video RAM can both lead to slow down if either/both are too small...BTW...6 GB RAM running Win7 may need to be increased (IMHO).

Why is that? I do OK with 2GB and a 1G graphics card and I will have several large files open at once.

SLW,

I am just a RAM junky! It's SO inexpensive and easy to increase that I can't resist! My experience with MS products and several virus scan products suggests that RAM is one of those "bigger is better" things. MS, ACAD and VS can be some big resource hogs. With ACAD, graphics card and associated RAM can also have an impact, but a 'great' video card is not cheap.

SLW,

I am just a RAM junky! It's SO inexpensive and easy to increase that I can't resist! My experience with MS products and several virus scan products suggests that RAM is one of those "bigger is better" things. MS, ACAD and VS can be some big resource hogs. With ACAD, graphics card and associated RAM can also have an impact, but a 'great' video card is not cheap.

No doubt more RAM is better, but at 6GB I doubt if more RAM is the solution to THIS problem.

The speed of the RAM and speed of the hard drive is just as important, if not more important.

That been said, maybe the wrong RAM has been installed for the upgrade or not installed properly.

Inexpensive? Tell that to a bean counter.

No doubt more RAM is better, but at 6GB I doubt if more RAM is the solution to THIS problem.

The speed of the RAM and speed of the hard drive is just as important, if not more important.

That been said, maybe the wrong RAM has been installed for the upgrade or not installed properly.

Inexpensive? Tell that to a bean counter.

Ain't that the truth? I've seen them react to a $20 purchase like you'd asked for a bone marrow transplant.

I have a question.

If Win7 has a base requirement of 2GB and AutoCAD 2011 has a base requirement of 2GB how is it that you don't have any problems? All your drawings less than 100KB? LOL

Don't know either. My office PC (yet another bean-counter problem) is around 5 years old. It's got 3GB RAM and WinXP 32bit. With Vanilla 2011 I can open between 3 and 10 DWG files at once (depending on their complexity) before there are SIGNIFICANT slow downs! And I mean the type where you go for a coffee break every time you start a command.

The Task Manager shows ACad using at least 400MB, going up to 1.9GB sometimes and if you turn on the VM Size column you can see just how much RAM it's actually using. As a sample I've got a site layout with contours (around 10MB dwg file) open at the moment. The acad.exe process uses 620MB. Opening a previous revision of the same DWG acad's now using 925MB. And with all windows's processes & the AV running I'm using around 1.5GB of RAM already. And if I've also got other stuff open, like now with FireFox & Thunderbird, that uses a further 200MB each. And then just for giggles I opened a Revit model of around 120MB RVT file ... the Revit 2009 Arch process is using 765MB and my total RAM consumption is 2763MB ... and I'm now only starting to see slowdowns as I'm swapping between programs.

I know that on my personal PC (as per my Computer Details) ACad and Revit tends to use around twice as much for the same DWG file on the Win7 64bit. Though I've been unable to get any slowdowns on that except if I'm running several VM's at once.

Do you use adaptive degradation? Probably not going to make a huge difference, but it might help keep your speed more consistent. And what is your incremental save percentage set to?

try adaptive degradation.JPG

I have a question.

If Win7 has a base requirement of 2GB and AutoCAD 2011 has a base requirement of 2GB how is it that you don't have any problems? All your drawings less than 100KB? LOL

Large TIFF files are slow, but even 3D files and large survey files 4MB and larger are handled pretty good since the new Graphics Card and especially since killing SpyCenter. Is it blazing fast? No But the fact remains even at 2GB my process rarely maxes out.

I put in for 2 more GB but it was turned down since the new Graphics card and killing of SpyCenter I have been crash free. I guess it is my fault, cause I stay so far ahead of schedule.

More to the question at hand is ONLY 6GB of RAM is not the OPs problem. Like stated, he mentioned UPGRADED, so if this is an older machine with slower RAM or non compatable RAM, that could be the problem as well.

The OP has not responded with any specs, so I will wait for more info.

I have a question.

Lol, Actually most of the files im working with are under 100Kb, most of the time im reproducing basic machine parts from mastercam files into Inventor Parts/Drawings.

When they say base requirements, that does not mean they alway use that mcuh RAM, for example, I only have a small ACAD file open now (256kB) and my ACAD is only using 39 or so MB of RAM. Most of the time when OS's run they almost never use the full 2GB (part of the reason for the 3gig-switch on 32-bit systems). In reality when doing basic CAD work you don't need all that memory.

It all depends on what other programs are running concurrently as well. I have AutoCAD (four drawings; one is 3D), MS Excel, MS Access, an anti-virus program, my Internet connection, and WinAmp at the moment. Just purring right along. Telecommuting today so I'm on my home computer which has 8GB of RAM.