Military Aircraft

combatvet69

Hi guys. New to this site. A little background..I am a surveyor working for a company over in Iraq and I have been tasked with coming up with a plan for an emergency heli-pad. On this pad I have to show an accurate representation of a couple of aircraft (helicopters). I have found 1 block but I am having trouble locating another one. The one that I am looking for is the Boeing CH 47 Chinook. I am only looking for a plan view of this aircraft. Thank you in advanced for your input, help and guidance.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dana W

• ReMark

• SLW210

• combatvet69

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am Looking for an accurate representation of a Chinook in 2D plan view. I have looked at all of the sites that you suggested.

Thank you

My next recommendation would be to go to TurboSquid and find the helicopter in 3D. This is going to cost you though. Pricing varies. Once you have the 3D version you can extract all the 2D views you need.

Another option would be to find a plan view image, bring it into AutoCAD, and trace over it.

Hi guys. New to this site. A little background..I am a surveyor working for a company over in Iraq and I have been tasked with coming up with a plan for an emergency heli-pad. On this pad I have to show an accurate representation of a couple of aircraft (helicopters). I have found 1 block but I am having trouble locating another one. The one that I am looking for is the Boeing CH 47 Chinook. I am only looking for a plan view of this aircraft. Thank you in advanced for your input, help and guidance.

Things have come a long way. Back in my day, they'd just blow off the top of a hill or use a Dasiy Cutter in the jungle,:bomb: , there's yer helipad.

Here's a FREE download of the Chinook http://aircraftdrawingsdownload.com/boeing_vertol_ch_47_chinook_drawings.php

You need to know what to google for.

We who digs airplanes have been calling them 3 view drawings since they were made of stone.;) Almost every (Unclassified) plane ever built is available in a 3 view drawing, some even in CAD.

EDIT: If ya use my construction method, wear your safety glasses.:shock::lol:

SLW210: Very interesting site. Have you ever purchased vector drawings from it?

No, I have not purchased any. I may though, some good stuff on there. I just right-click and "save image as" insert into AutoCAD and trace.

Things have come a long way. Back in my day, they'd just blow off the top of a hill or use a Dasiy Cutter in the jungle,:bomb: , there's yer helipad.

Here's a FREE download of the Chinook http://aircraftdrawingsdownload.com/boeing_vertol_ch_47_chinook_drawings.php

You need to know what to google for.

We who digs airplanes have been calling them 3 view drawings since they were made of stone.;) Almost every (Unclassified) plane ever built is available in a 3 view drawing, some even in CAD.

EDIT: If ya use my construction method, wear your safety glasses.:shock::lol:

Thanks for that link Dana W.

When I was in the Marines all we needed was room for the rotors.

Had an air traffic controller at a small Army airport land us in a gravel parking lot once, it wasn't pretty.

Edited by SLW210

Helicopters. Cooooool. Rode in one twice over the island of St. Lucia (north/south route). All glass bubble front so you could even see what was directly below you. Would love to learn to fly one. Maybe I'll start with the smaller radio-controlled variety first. Probably the best decision for everyone in the neighborhood. LOL

Helicopters. Cooooool. Rode in one twice over the island of St. Lucia (north/south route). All glass bubble front so you could even see what was directly below you. Would love to learn to fly one. Maybe I'll start with the smaller radio-controlled variety first. Probably the best decision for everyone in the neighborhood. LOL

The couple of times I rode a chopper they made me jump out of it when it was 4 feet off the ground. My memory of the view was the twin M60 machine guns mounted by the door. Army Air mobil training. The guy next to me hung a toe on the skid and faceplanted in the mud. He was the spaz type that did that just trying to march anyhow.:lol:

Of course you are kidding about flying RC, but.... Oh my, don't start with a chopper. It is almost required to learn a fixed wing RC model first. If you haven't flown an RC plane yet, you will need to get used to the absence of sensory feedback and the disconcerting feeling of not remembering which way you push the stick when the danged thing is coming toward you, or upside down, kinda like backing up a trailer. A fixed wing RC plane is like riding a unicycle. An RC chopper is like balancing a unicycle on a basketball on a moving balance beam. A real chopper feels the same except without the balance beam, they're easier to fly than the scale ones.

No, I have not purchased any. I may though, some good stuff on there. I just right-click and "save image as" insert into AutoCAD and trace.

Thanks for that link Dana W.

When I was in the Marines all we needed was room for the rotors.

Had an air traffic controller at a small Army airport land us in a gravel parking lot once, it wasn't pretty.

Oh lordy, gravel? My question for the ATC is "HEY, is this your first day or something?"

I was Army in 68-69. "B" Company, Second Battalion, 31st Infantry Regiment, 7th Division, Camp Casey, Korea.

Managed to miss 'Nam because of the Pueblo, I am pretty sure. Something tells me the govt new the Pueblo was going to happen because they sent nearly my whole training class to Korea a couple of weeks prior to it being captured without the normal 30 days leave first. In fact, we landed at Kimpo on January 13th, but I think it was a tuesday in 1968. RNK captured the boat 10 days later.

While in Korea some of us not smart enough to get out of it ;)were trained how to get in and out of a Huey on a simulated combat LZ. Gravel was the least of our problems.:shock: Taking off was cool. The pilots would just jamb the collective and throttle to max, the tail would go up to about 45 deg, and the Huey would just thunder off with its tail in the air. We'd be looking straight out at the ground until the thing got a couple hundred feet up and settled into level flight. FUN!! Those things are flying coffee cans.

Hey, you people. Back on topic.:lol:

EDIT: January 13, 1968 was a Saturday.

Edited by Dana W
Remembered.

I once dropped the ramp on a 6' - 8' deep hole and ran all the OCS candidates out the back. At least they didn't have to worry about the tail rotor, they were well under it no matter which way they turned. :rofl:

I once dropped the ramp on a 6' - 8' deep hole and ran all the OCS candidates out the back. At least they didn't have to worry about the tail rotor, they were well under it no matter which way they turned. :rofl:

Yay!!. Now that was a good mental image. Ramp? Was this a Chinook? Were you back door man, I guess the correct term is Load Master,or were you the pilot? Either way take a slap on the back from me. Beautiful deed.

Yay!!. Now that was a good mental image. Ramp? Was this a Chinook? Were you back door man, I guess the correct term is Load Master,or were you the pilot? Either way take a slap on the back from me. Beautiful deed.

CH-53 Crewchief.

CH-53 Crewchief.

Way Cool.:notworthy: Now that's a helicopter. I want one.:twisted: It needs more armament though. I have ideas.;)

Did it look this mean? This one's a Pave Low.

mh-53j.jpg

I was down the road from you. I crewed on the VH 3 also.

Neat. Those are kinda dressy lookin in that shiney paint, aren't they. The VH3 is used to cart the pres around too.

Those guys that do that duty are a different breed, I would probably not do it for love or money. I'm sure they love it though. I hear they are going to use V-22's soon for Marine One duty. I suppose that'll mean whole new crews. You don't learn to fly one of those Osprey things in a week from what I 've been told.

I wonder...

If the Marines were willing to forego cargo capacity, they might get a GAU-8 to fit in that huge cargo bay. Only thing is, the helicopter might go backwards when it was fired, but that would certainly cool off a hot LZ or a Somali pirate boat I bet.

BBBBBRRRRRAAAAAAAAAK - "Well, whatever those guys were up to, they're all done."