How to import a dxf Mapsource file into a Map 3D dwg

99zizzer

I have a Map 3D dwg that was a pencil survey drawing. There is no coordinate set up on it. I have a Garmin GPS that I was able to get "waypoints" saved into a dxf file using Mapsource. Now how do I set up my dwg with the correct coordinate system then import the dxf file? I know very little about surveying, please keep in mind.

I would also like to just be able to enter a "waypoint" into the file manually if there are only a couple of "waypoints" that I have found.

Everything I have found makes this process look so complicated :cry:... and I know it shouldn't be. AutoCAD was made to make things simplistic... maybe not :).

I have a Map 3D dwg that was a pencil survey drawing. .......... AutoCAD was made to make things simplistic... maybe not :).

Yes it's simple IF you have data that's correct and in the right format, and you know HOW to use it.

First this should be moved to the MAP forum.

Second you can just open the dxf file in Map3D but you will not be happy with the results. The waypoints will be big old circles that are blocks and overlap each other.

What do you mean by a pencil survey? Did someone just start drawing a survey in CAD with no know points or coordinate system assigned to it?

What I have is a survey drawing that was put into AutoCAD (what version, I do not know) many years ago. The drawing is rotated to where the north direction is rotated 54degrees. It has below it "ALL BEARINGS BASED ON TRUE NORTH DERIVED FROM A SOLAR OBSERVATION TAKEN AT THE NE COR OF SEC.20". I assume my first step it to set this up on the correct coordinate system, but are unsure of what that is and/or how to do so. One note states R=351.3' Chd. Brg. = N71degree38'E L=117.1'.

My first step would be to locate the North East corner of section 20 and get it's coordinate (X,Y) into the coordinate system used by your GPS unit. About the best you can do is move, scale, and rotate the remaining. If the survey was done years ago I might just start over with the known point and redraw it from the bearsing listed then try to close it. How large of an area is the survey covering and what is it of? What are you wanting to do with the info you have?

What I have is a survey drawing that was put into AutoCAD (what version, I do not know) many years ago. The drawing is rotated to where the north direction is rotated 54degrees. It has below it "ALL BEARINGS BASED ON TRUE NORTH DERIVED FROM A SOLAR OBSERVATION TAKEN AT THE NE COR OF SEC.20". I assume my first step it to set this up on the correct coordinate system, but are unsure of what that is and/or how to do so. One note states R=351.3' Chd. Brg. = N71degree38'E L=117.1'.

More than likely your working with a drawing (the original pencil drawing that is) that is based on a local (or assumed) coordinate system and not a state plane coordinate system. The reason I say this is because they more than likely used a known point (the NE Corner of Section 20) and used solar observations from that point to determine the bearing of the line used as a Basis of Bearing in the survey.

They also probably used a theodolite (old school surveying instrument) and not a Total Station (or one of the more current instruments to do surveying like a kinetic or static GPS) to collect data for that survey map which is why they used solar observations which is the way they determined a basis for bearing line on old surveys.

So your best bet is to use the transformation (survey term used for move, rotate and scale) method Murphmap suggested by finding out what the Northern (Y value) and Easting (X value) and move your drawing entities from a known point (in this case the Northeast Corner of Section 20) to the new point that you will obtain which will have a real world coordinate value based on a known coordinate system (i.e. typically a state plane coordinate system) more than likely using the NAD 83 survey. (North American Datum survey recorded in 1983 .)

The area is the industrial plant facilities (9 main buildings plus other smaller buildings) that I work at. It covers about a mile by 3/8 mile section of property. We need this for many different reasons, from visitor maps to location of electrical shut-offs or man hole locations.

Thanks to you all for your help with this.

What I would do is forget about the dxf file and save your GPS points to GPX in MapSource then convert that to either SHP or KML. You can import the shp format into MAP3D then try to align your survey to match. With the KML file I would open that in Google Earth then use the Google Earth extentsion from the Autodesk laps to bring it into Map3D. Then with AutoCAD trace out the property lines with plines and add the text lables you need for the shut offs, info points etc. Google GPX to shp or KML there's some free apps out there and the GE tools is here.

Ok... probably a really stupid question, but I can't find the toolbar nor the "ImportGEImage" button on Google Earth. Do I have something turned off?

Ok... probably a really stupid question, but I can't find the toolbar nor the "ImportGEImage" button on Google Earth. Do I have something turned off?

You need to load the cui for it, type in CUILOAD and browse to the GoogleEarth.cuix file which may be in Program Files\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\Google Earth.bundle by the readme document.

I can't find a GoogleEarth cui file anywhere on my c drive which is where the program is found. I'll keep digging and see if I just didn't download something. Thanks

Did you download the Google Earth Extension? HERE

Thanks for sharing this SLW210. (I feel like I'm talking to an automaton when I say that. ;) )

A caveat for this one would be that you will need an eLearning subscription in order to download this extension.

Well, I feel like an idiot!!! I got the cui file downloaded. It's the BIG Green button that says Download, stupid.

Sorry for all this... 10 years since I've used any kind of AutoCAD.

Is there a way to capture the image with the waypoints already on it? After I did the ImportGEImage command, it pops up to capture the image, but don't see where to open my waypoints and capture them also.

Well, I feel like an idiot!!! I got the cui file downloaded. It's the BIG Green button that says Download, stupid.

Sorry for all this... 10 years since I've used any kind of AutoCAD.

Is there a way to capture the image with the waypoints already on it? After I did the ImportGEImage command, it pops up to capture the image, but don't see where to open my waypoints and capture them also.

Oppps, it does't bring in the kmz file does it. : ( Ok you can use the KML provider for FDO for that. Well shoot, I don't see one for 2012. OK how about converting the GPX file to shp format and use the mapimport command. Here's a simple converted to get the shp fomat. http://www.expertgps.com/gpx-shp.asp