3d cross section?

Seth385

Hello,

I have problem with creating sections. Basicaly I have 3d points that are connected with lines. I want to create section (profile) between those points on every 40-50 m. Can someone tell me what is the most simple way to do this. I tryed to google it. I have red forum but no luck. I'm not very familiar with 3d modeling. Here is sample of dam that I work on. I use auto cad civil 3d 2010. I would appreciate if someone could help me. Thank you very much.

16012012.dwg

There is no such animal as a 3D cross section. What you have is 3D data that needs to be used in Civil 3D to create the cross sections (or profiles) your looking for.

First off you need to create a surface with the data within that drawing file. Just used the lines and bring them in as breaklines (no need to use the points). The points that are on the southwest part of the data will be useless in respect to the surface unless you create the alignment along those points.

Second you will need to create an alignment along the dam. From there you can create profiles and sections that you need.

I added a quick alignment to the drawing to give you an example.

What version of Civil 3D are you using? Your profile says AutoCad 2007.

16012012.dwg

Sorry for my wrong interepretation of terms, that is what I ment.

I am using autocad 2007 and I have just started to use civil 3d 2010/2011. I work as a land surveyor in a small firm.

I saw your alignment. That is just what I need. So at the breakpoints (or 40-50m) of alignment I have to make perpendicular profile using 3d points. I don't know how to do it.

Actually there is such a thing as a 3D section. They are just not used in the civil discipline. Sorry, that didn't sound as snippy in my head as it did when I re-read it. You Tube has a lot of tutorials for Civil 3D. Start

For each profile you have to have an alignment.

Check out the attached file. I created a quick surface and a profile with all Civil 3D default styles. Learn about styles because that is where you will be able to produce how everything appears. To check out the styles you can do it through the Toolspace settings tab or you can select the surface, profile or profile view and the alignment, then right click and look for Edit X style. X being the profile, alignment, etc.

For sections use the Section pull down menu and create sample lines. Check out the help file for Cross Sections to get you started. This should get you on track for learning how Civil 3D functions and how to produce the end results.

Just for an example. The alignment, surface and profile view took less than 15 minutes to create. The crux is learning how to create your own styles and how they function. I have had surfaces take much longer to create but this is a very simple set of data and a small area too.

I hope this helps you get your feet on the ground.

16012012.dwg

Edited by ScribbleJ