Scaling a sketch to different X & Y ratios

sigmatero

Can SW scale a *sketch* differently in X & Y like can be done with blocks in AutoCAD, etc.

I can work around by converting a closed sketch to a surface and then scaling but it's a PITA.

Sort of funny- the last company I was with dropped SW in favor of NX because of all the workarounds we use to have to do to make it functional. Use to call it SolidQuirks because of all the nuances you had to learn to do anything outside of a cookie-cutter tutorial type feature.

as far as i know you can only scale with a percentage, not a separate number in X and Y. You can do this with Tool>Sketch Tools>Scale. You can also convert your sketches to Blocks and scale them when inserted. Solidworks is parameter based unlike autocad so its not setup to ignore dimensions. If the sketch is under-defined you can drag at will.

Do you have an example you are trying scale? Is this something you draw frequently? You can use driveworks or configurations to simplify the process.

NX is way more complicate than SW ever was:) Not to mention the jump in price. There are lots of resources out there for Solidworks(such as these forums and many VARS that help with problems) so any questions just ask.

It's very common to have to scale the X & Y axis independently, especially for aerodynamics. Why they don't allow this is beyond me.

Well SW isnt designed to be an AERO software, but neither is acad:) Im not in the aero industry but it seems odd to me that you would scale anything rather than defining your shapes. You can control shapes easily with the methods i mentioned above as well as using equations to drive the shapes, design tables using excel and so on. Even though it doesnt have the method you currently use or used in the past doesnt mean there isnt another way.