Moments of Inertia, Deflection and Aluminium Openings

nicolas

Hi,

I am new to Autodesk Mechanical but I believe it is one of my best options right now to calculate minimum and maximum dimensions of Aluminium Openings based on moments of inertia of the middle sections where the leaves meet.

Has anybody been doing those calculations in Excel and Autocad?

I have already calculated the moments of inertia (area) and the section modulus.

What's the next step?

The materials is Aluminium 6060 or if DIN: ALMGSIO,5 with E=70,000 MPa

Regards,

Nicolas.

I don't know much about windows (or what 'leaves' in that context are), although have a look into slenderness ratios and whether the section is 'effective' or not. This is with regards to structural sections although could probably be applied to your window frame by treating it as a box section.

Once you know the process you need to use, pretty much anything is possible in Excel.

I think you mean whether the section is effective with respect to height i.e Columns. Hereby PDF from an online catalogue where inertia calculations are performed and applied to show dimensional limits. However it is in french. You will see a formula on the second page.

Iyy = ( 5*P*L1*H4) / (384*E*(H/150))

The whole calculations is determined from the Iyy of the meeting stiles and Height of the Openings.

GALAXI32THB 4-7.pdf