Precise Panning Within Multiple Viewports

nicolas

Hi,

I know that we can have precision movement within viewport using -pan. However that panning is limited to the active viewport, 1 at a time by double clicking in the viewport. Is there a way to apply -pan to a number of viewports, say I want to move all the model space irrespective of scale 300 mm to the west or 100 mm to the north in more than 1 viewport.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Nicolas.

Perhaps you could just move everything in your modelspace instead?

I am having a difficult time trying to imagine an instance where one would need or want to do this.

Perhaps someone has 'moved' modelspace already?[/quote

An astute PERception that Dana, that would be a good hypothetical example, and easier to resolve.

It is for Cataloging Openings Sections and the principle is that we don't scale profiles. Hence the use of layouts where we do the scaling there without affecting the blocks.

The blocks are placed at specified locations in model space. Then a viewport is created with mv command withing a catalogue page layout where the middle of that space matching the center of the profile - the specified locations in model space.

The specified locations are 150 mm c/c vertically and 300 mm. c/c horizontally. The first viewport created, I create a second one below and I need to use -p within that viewport and 150 upward to see the profile below. Hence down and down, I have a column of viewports. Now I copy say those 5 viewports to have a new column of viewport and I need to enter each one and pan 300 mm left. If I can select all of them and pan them 300 mm left that would be one go.

To make a long story short, I am enclosing a detail CAD Explanation.

Regards,

Nicolas.

Cataloging Experiment 01.dwg

Now the reasoning makes perfect sense. I believe ReMark is correct though, that you can only have one viewport active at a time. Since you know the specific distances you need to pan, this probably can be accomplished with a bit of lisp code. I can't write it myself, but it seems easy enough (if I knew the syntax). I am just speaking from the point of view of a crusty old computer programmer.

As far as synchronized, precise panning with two viewports, to my knowledge, you can only have one viewport active at a time. If I understand what you want correctly it's to keep things lined up between viewports. You would have to wait until you've done all your adjusting but then I would use MVSETUP and do either a horizontal or vertical alignment. This will precisely reposition objects to a fixed place or to be in alignment with objects in adjacent viewports.

It is for Cataloging Openings Sections and the principle is that we don't scale profiles. Hence the use of layouts where we do the scaling there without affecting the blocks.

The blocks are placed at specified locations in model space. Then a viewport is created with mv command withing a catalogue page layout where the middle of that space matching the center of the profile - the specified locations in model space.

The specified locations are 150 mm c/c vertically and 300 mm. c/c horizontally. The first viewport created, I create a second one below and I need to use -p within that viewport and 150 upward to see the profile below. Hence down and down, I have a column of viewports. Now I copy say those 5 viewports to have a new column of viewport and I need to enter each one and pan 300 mm left. If I can select all of them and pan them 300 mm left that would be one go.

To make a long story short, I am enclosing a detail CAD Explanation.

Regards,

Nicolas.

[ATTACH]32429[/ATTACH]

Instead of panning in modelspace think of adjusting the viewports in PS. To do this, after you have the first 5 vertically adjusted how you want, copy those to another location. Now you will stretch the viewport over the top of itself, so using the stretch command, cross over the left edge of all 5, now drag to the right the distance needed to expose the next 5 in model space, then adjust the left side again to show only what is wanted. Once you know the distances needed you can use that to do this again, or make a viewport above showing all of your modelspace so you can osnap to the edges as needed.

Instead of panning in modelspace think of adjusting the viewports in PS. To do this, after you have the first 5 vertically adjusted how you want, copy those to another location. Now you will stretch the viewport over the top of itself, so using the stretch command, cross over the left edge of all 5, now drag to the right the distance needed to expose the next 5 in model space, then adjust the left side again to show only what is wanted. Once you know the distances needed you can use that to do this again, or make a viewport above showing all of your modelspace so you can osnap to the edges as needed.

That's a good solution rkent, I frequently create an auxiliary viewport next to my sheet too, it can be very helpful. ;)

When responding to questions, it is easy to be distracted or blinded by the language of a post, from discerning the real goal and best route to take.

Hi,

A last thing that I will like to ask is aligning a center point of a viewport to a center point of an object or a point in model space. I actually use dimensions along with -pan to do it but the matching is only visual, they are not aligned at all, based on dimension precision.

Is there a better principle to follow?

Regards,

Nicolas

You could use the RECTANGLE or COPY command to copy the border of your block perimeter box in modelspace.

Then go to your paperspace and double click in the viewport to enter modelspace.

Now using the CHANGESPACE command you can move that polyline which you have just created into your paperspace.

Now you can create a viewport with the FROM OBJECT (shown on the viewport toolbar, or from the commandline in the _vports command) option, which will turn the perfectly aligned polyline into a viewport. Remember to put your viewport on the appropriate layer, which should be set to not print.

viewport toolbar.JPG

Edited by Dadgad

You can use zoom while in the viewport, pick the lower left and upper right corners (if you have corners), now apply the final viewport scale, Zoom, 1/2XP for example, or pick from the viewport scale list, etc..

You can use zoom, Center option, pick the middle of the objects, then apply the viewport scale.

If you have an object that you can use then Zoom, Object, .........

Hi,

I have tried the chspace successfully. I had a scale problem at first for example instead of having a scale of 1:2 or 0.5, I was getting 0.499944???????? something. I turned off the scroll bars in option and now the scale is accurate and precisely set to 1:2.

As for zooming to the corners of the box in modelspace, it is is going to help given there are designed correspondence between the containing box in the two spaces. I copy the layout containing box to model space and scale it 2. Using zoom and lower left when activating the vport - upper right corners works perfectly with the two centers perfectly aligned.

With zoom center, I don't understand the application request for a height.

I also found that I can simple create a viewport greater than the layout container box, move the viewport with base being the intersection or center of the profile to the center of the layout container box and resize and both centerpoints perfectly aligned.

Thanks friends for all the help.

The proposed solutions have greatly enlightened my day.

Regards,

Nicolas

Like Rkent I keep going back to the auto layout sheets take a pline then just work out spacing for each centre of sheet along pline and use the zoom c method to centre the layout viewport then lock.

I posted a multi grid auto layout create a couple of weeks ago now where is it.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?65411-Match-Line-Refer-Dwg.-No./page2&highlight=layout