Dimensions not showing in paper space

Michelle E

Not if your block default color is 255. (Maybe?)

I guess you are right there Dana, I don't think that has ever been a problem for me. But my dimensions are not parts of blocks, and in that case the text color will be keyed off the background color.

• 7 months later...

I have had this same issue. If you are still having problems look on the bar on your bottom left there is a triangular symbol with a circle on the top right side of it. if the circle is not filled in then click the icon and your annotations will appear.

• 1 year later...
Thank you for all your help. Like I said I haven't worked with annotation at all (until now). It was you bringing up ANNOTATIVEDWG that made me start going through the ANNO based commands. It may be simple but it was that ANNOALLVISIBLE was set to 0 in paper space. (But it worked the first time around - not sure how it changed. Thankfully now I know what to look for.) Thank you.

You just saved my hide with that one!!! I'm reteaching myself autocad for the first time since high school 16 years ago for a project for an interior designer friend of mine - I did his web site and all of his graphic design and now I'm helping him with a CAD project for a new client of his here in NYC (due tomorrow, of course!). Amazing how much came back to me, but I'd never have figured this out if it wasn't for your post. Thanks!

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

If you really want to learn something, use SYSVDLG, it is a compendium of available System Variables,

and describes the different ways commands can be configured. When you have some spare time and are so inclined, lots

to learn there.

• 7 years later...

hello i would like to ask some help. How do I make the dimensions visible in pdf form? It is visible in layout but once I saved it into pdf, the dimensions are gone. 

5 hours ago, Justine said:

hello i would like to ask some help. How do I make the dimensions visible in pdf form? It is visible in layout but once I saved it into pdf, the dimensions are gone. 

Can you share a link to the drawing? Hard to tell without seeing it.

If you plot a hardcopy do the dimensions show?

Never draw on layers 0 or Defpoints and leave them On, Thawed, and set to plot.

What layer are the dimensions on? Is that layer set to plot?

Are you using DWG to PDF, Adobe, or something else to create the PDF?

Welcome to the forum!

When you plot, there's a handy button called Preview in the lower left corner. Use that, and you'll see what the page should look like once it prints. If something's missing, it's probably on a nonplotting layer, as tombu suggests. It's also possible that the color assigned to the item's layer (or to the item itself) is not visible, either because it's too light or it's the same as the background. Plotting is one of the most arcane activities in drafting, it's natural to feel frustrated.

Are you using annotative dimensions?  If so, the dimensions and the viewport have to have the same annotative scale. If they don't then the dimensions will not show in the viewport even if ANNOALLVISIBLE is = 1.