extend an solid object?

miroslav_s

Hello,

I was wondering how to extend a solid object. You can see at the picture that I attached what I mean and also I will try to explain. I draw a fence 1.5 m high. At one specific part of the yard I want the fence to be 2.0 m high. So I moved upper part (horisontal) of the fence to the height of 2.0 m. Now I want the 2 vertical poles to "extend" to that height. Now I can delete those poles and use extend command from the bottom and then use silce command. I was just wondering if their is a command that I can use to grab the pole as it is now and pull it up to the new height if that is possible without erasing it.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Best regards to you all,

Miro

picture.jpg

Edited by miroslav_s
correction

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• miroslav_s

• Dadgad

• khama

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are a few different ways to do this. You should open the solid editing toolbar and explore the icons indicated on the attachment.

You will be selecting a face of the 3D solid object and designating a new location for it.

try these for solids.JPG

Move Faces or Offset Faces.

Should you have trouble making either work you can just create "filler" pieces then union them to the existing vertical poles.

Hey guys, sorry, I did not want to start new thread so am just gonna ask you here instead (hope that´s O.K.). I noticed that now when I use "orbite" to 3D rotate around the objects on my drawing the objects are not shown in "realistic view" while rotating even if "realistic view" is chosen. This is as long as I hold down my "left click" on my mouse. As soon as I let go of the mouse the objects are shown in realistic view. While I am rotating the objects are shown instead in "2D Wireframe". Is it something I pressed by foult or?

NEW EDIT: I just tried a couple of things: first I opened another (new) drawing and tried same command and there it worked great. I had no problem with rotating around and able to see the objects in "realistic view" while rotating. So the problem is with the first drawing somehow. I can uppload the drawing here for someone to look at it and see what is wrong if someone would like? The size of the file is around 4.8 Mb. I even made a short video (only few seconds) showing what I am talking about. Filesize is around 4 Mb and I didn´t attached it cause I don´t know if it is allowed.

Thanks,

Miro

Edited by miroslav_s

When you rotate a realistic visual style 3D object it will display as described, nothing you are doing wrong, just how it is. If you select the object which you want to rotate before you start the ORBIT command, then anything else in modelspace will be frozen or hidden while you orbit, enabling you to see it without interference from other elements in your modelspace.

The quickest way to start the orbit command is to hold down your shift key and your mouse wheel at the same time.

The gizmo is a good tool for sure, I haven't taken the time to get used to it, but for those who are not accustomed to using other commands, a great multi-function tool. Old habits.

I just tested this using AutoCAD 2012 and when I rotate an object that is displayed in a Realistic visual style it remains in that style and does not change to a 2Dwireframe. Something is not quite right with your system there miroslav_s.

I just tested this using AutoCAD 2012 and when I rotate an object that is displayed in a Realistic visual style it remains in that style and does not change to a 2Dwireframe. Something is not quite right with your system there miroslav_s.

Mine does the same thing as his, changes to 2D wireframe until I stop orbiting it, then it immediately displays realistic visual style, took that to be the norm.

Whoops! At least it did when I tested it earlier today, just did it again and it displays in realistic visual style as it orbits, no problem. The plot thickens!

Helloagain,

Let me justthank you first of all for being so fast to answer and try to help. You aregreat. Now back to my problem. I just tested to rotate again and YES theproblem remains as before (don´t need to write down again). What I REMEMBAR isthat in the beginning this was not happening. I even tried another drawing andthe orbite is fine there. Objects remain in realistic view all the time duringthe rotation. So the possibility of me having a bad graphic card is not true.The only thing that is causing this problem is the drawing itself. Something iswrong with the drawing. I just checked again the size of it and it is around4,8 Mb. I think I messed up something in the drawing. Is it possible for me tosend it to one of you so that you can open the drawing and try it out? If not,I understand. Once again,thank you for being here and helping. I found agreat site for help and tutorials.

Bestregards,

Miro

And just what are you running for a graphics card?

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600XT.

I've been looking to upgrade to something a little more high-test, probably not QUADDRO as they are insanely expensive. Want to learn Inventor and not have to worry about my graphics capability. I've downloaded the list of certified cards from the Autodesk site, have to check in the computer center in town, and see which, if any of them are available locally.

Hey guys, sorry, I did not want to start new thread so am just gonna ask you here instead (hope that´s O.K.). I noticed that now when I use "orbite" to 3D rotate around the objects on my drawing the objects are not shown in "realistic view" while rotating even if "realistic view" is chosen. This is as long as I hold down my "left click" on my mouse. As soon as I let go of the mouse the objects are shown in realistic view. While I am rotating the objects are shown instead in "2D Wireframe". Is it something I pressed by foult or?

NEW EDIT: I just tried a couple of things: first I opened another (new) drawing and tried same command and there it worked great. I had no problem with rotating around and able to see the objects in "realistic view" while rotating. So the problem is with the first drawing somehow. I can uppload the drawing here for someone to look at it and see what is wrong if someone would like? The size of the file is around 4.8 Mb. I even made a short video (only few seconds) showing what I am talking about. Filesize is around 4 Mb and I didn´t attached it cause I don´t know if it is allowed.

Thanks,

Miro

Do you have hardware acceleration turned on?

Dadgad: In other words you don't have a graphics card you have an onboard graphics chip?

Miro: Have you purged the drawing? Have you run an Audit on the drawing?

...So the possibility of me having a bad graphic card is not true..... size of it and it is around4,8 Mb.

Which indicates the problem is in fact the graphics card. Not that it is bad - the problem is that it not powerful enough to large, complex shading.

Shading is accomplished by creating thousands of triangles of different colors from light to dark for highlights and shadow areas (even a solid color is actually shades of colors as you move the part). As you move the part these highlights and shadows must change to look realistic. If your graphics card cannot keep up with changing the colors the graphics go into adaptive degradation so that you can still see the part as you rotate it, but not with the shading.

PART 1:

Well I guess then itis my weak graphic card. I don´t know…I did try Purge and Audit. There areoptions in Purge, like for example, some layers cannot be purged. I mean, youonly got to pick the layers to purge that is offered to you. I did run evenAudit, the Autocad found 1 fault and corrected it. But unfortunately theproblem remains. Well,well, nothing more I can do. It is got to be the cardthen. This is the computers the drawinghas been tested on:

COMP 1 (my comp): Alienware M11x

Intelcorei7 U640 1,20 GHz

RAM8 GB

64-bitswindows 7

Graphiccard NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M

COMP 2 (friends comp): HP pavilion dv7

Intelcore i7 Q7201,6 GHz

RAM 4 GB

64-bits windows 7

Graphic card ATIMobility Radeon HD 5650

Can you please tell meif the graphic cards are OK? What I mean I is if they can handle Autocad 2012good?

PART 2:

Well todayI noticed another strange thing with my drawing. When I was trying to moveobject A (picture 0) to the right to the position B all parts of object A didnot follow along. Some parts of the object A were thrown everywhere (see picture1 showing where some parts went). Why is that? I even tried with the copycommand to copy the object A and then place it somewhere else just to see butthe same thing happened. Now I tried move/copy command on anther objects andsome are copying/moving just fine and anther not. The problem is what?

This is thesame drawing that I have problem rotating with the realistic view. Also what Inoticed is that Autocad seems to hang itself for a few seconds from time totime when I am working with this particular drawing. It is not the computersince I tried working with this drawing on another comp as well and autocad isacting stange with this drawing as well. I don´t know if I mentioned this but Iimported some object to my drawing from internet. It is a door object that Iimported to my drawing. Is this causing the problem? When I look at the layerproperties there are many layer that came along with this object.

Thanks foreverything

Bestregards,

Miro

picture 1.jpg

picture 0.jpg

Edited by miroslav_s

Miro: I have temporarily activated the option that allows forum members to send me an email. You can email me a copy of the drawing and I'll take a look at it when I get a chance.

This feature will be disabled in 10 minutes from the time of this post. Limited time offer so hurry up. Go. Now.

I can´t find the option on this site where to find your email and sent the drawing to you. I am looking and looking

Please contact me at miroslav_s@hotmail.com and I will send you my drawing for you to look at when you have free time of course