new here. Quick question.

jdgrant

Looking to be able to import a mechanic's ratchet into a model. I figure there is one in a content library somewhere, but not sure where to look. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you . This is for a socket drawing. Also not sure of how to draw rough grip on outside of socket. Sort of like hatching, but literally there. Any ideas?

Thank you . This is for a socket drawing. Also not sure of how to draw rough grip on outside of socket. Sort of like hatching, but literally there. Any ideas?

That would be called knurling. It would have to be added to the model either through actually modeling it or by using an image with a bump mapping effect added to the texture. The latter would be more efficient and easier to do.

thank you. could not for the life of me come up with the name that i was looking for. (knurling) will now learn a new process. I really enjoy finding out new things in autocad. Have a great difficulty when I do not use things daily though. Thank you Mr. Mather, for the link. Anyone know of best cad training available? Looking to use this as a later-in-life career (I am 47yrs). I really enjoyed time spent with mechanical engineering firm a couple of years ago. Now looking for some sort of direction to go.

If your new to 3D modeling I would suggest checking out the tutorials on this site. You can find a link at the top of the page towards the left side. Also you would do well to get very very VERY familiar with the materials editor. Type in MATBROWSEROPEN to see it. This is where the magic of making a model come to "life" happens. That and other tricks of the trade but this is where it begins.

I modeled knurling in 3D for the handle of a pin vise I did for a 3D CAD class I took at a local community college. It takes a decent computer to push all the knurling around.

BTW...Welcome to the CADTutor forum.

I modeled knurling in 3D for the handle of a pin vise I did for a 3D CAD class I took at a local community college. It takes a decent computer to push all the knurling around.

BTW...Welcome to the CADTutor forum.

That is why I suggested using a material instead. Creating knurling would create a lot of faces.

Yes indeed. Welcome to CAD Tutor. Please forgive my rudeness. I had not noticed. :oops:

I did one as a solid then copy/rotated it to form bands of knurling. It took quite a while to do. Fortunately I placed the knurling on its on layer and then froze it until needed.

I did one as a solid then copy/rotated it to form bands of knurling. It took quite a while to do. Fortunately I placed the knurling on its on layer and then froze it until needed.

Jeeez what a task that had to be! :ouch: This must have been before 3D array.

Thanks everyone for welcoming me. I am sure I am on the right track now. I think I will enjoy this place, you all seem great to converse with

• 1 month later...
If your new to 3D modeling I would suggest checking out the tutorials on this site. You can find a link at the top of the page towards the left side. Also you would do well to get very very VERY familiar with the materials editor. Type in MATBROWSEROPEN to see it. This is where the magic of making a model come to "life" happens. That and other tricks of the trade but this is where it begins.

I know it has been awhile since we posted this but I am just now getting back to the project. I could not open anything with your command "MATBROWSEROPEN" but when I typed in materials it brought me to a materials editor, however no matter what changes I made, it does not show up on the model. Any more help would be appreciated

That is the same thing actually. Both MATBROWSEROPEN and MATERIALS opens the same dialog for me. Learning how to create your own materials will be one of the biggest challenges there is in modeling. Check out the default materials to get an idea of how they are made. Also check out this site for a decent tutorial. ( Click Me ) That is if you want to get the most realistic look possible. Having a good render engine helps a lot as well which AutoCad falls short of.

Incidentally I found a default knurling material when I was checking them out. Look in the Metal - Steel part of the catalog.