Solidworks Assignment - Missing Instructions. Need help

PixelBender

Hi there,

I've been stumped on this problem for the last couple days. It seem that what the book does is leave a little for you to figure out on your own. Well it seems this is something that wasnt covered, and I cant seem to figure out how to do it.

Attached is an image from the book Learning And Applying Solidworks 2011-2012 by L Scott Hansen Ph.D. Chapter 2 Assignment 8 Using Solidworks Premium 2011

needimport013.png

Ch.2-As.8.SLDPRT

Ch.2-As.8.SLDPRT

The chapter covers the following;

* Create a simple sketch using the Sketch commands

* Dimension a sketch using the smart dimension command

* revolve a sketch using the revolved boss/base command

* Create a hole using the extrude cut command

* Create a series of holes using the circular pattern command

I dont know if I did this wrong or if it wasn't explained properly.

I created a sketch on the Right Plane.

Followed the dimensions and cant figure out what the "40.00" is from. Its obviously a dimension, but how did they get that? Its tied to the curved line, which I assume is 40deg? Is that right? :oops:

As always, any help is very much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

I would assume the 40 refers to the radius of the curve.

I would make a sketch along the length of the cylinder and revolve that around the revolve axis.

A little confused on where I should make the sketch. I have it open right now but cant seem to get the right radius as 40in seems a big large. I made the sketch around the axis like you said, but what I get looks more like a pipe or a cylinder. No curve :/

I don't have SolidWorks but this is what the sketch with the revolve axis looks like in AutoCAD.

Looking at it now, I guess the inner line should be a curve as well...

As to how you actually do the sketch, I can't help since again, I don't have Solid Works - but if you still have trouble I am sure some SW-nut will wake up soon :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32490[/ATTACH]

capturegb.png

I had it revolving around the axis, but making the arch meet the two points on the bottom line is what I dont get. What can I use to draw that line? ... OH snaps! I think I figured it out. Its not accurate that's for sure but what I did was using the line tool, I drew a line from the center point of the revolve access line. 40in long. Then I made a circle with its center point at the furthest tip of the line, and while sizing, moved the cursor to the end point and trimmed the excess lines. It's close but not accurate as I'm not sure where the center point of the circle should have been.

I'll keep at it. Thanks for your help :)

I'm gonna try making a 40in line from the revolve axis center point then make a circle from the end point of my line to the end point of the short lines on the left and right. Seems very amateur. Thanks for your help.

I'm gonna try making a 40in line from the revolve axis center point then make a circle from the end point of my line to the end point of the short lines on the left and right. Seems very amateur. Thanks for your help.

Sometimes the easiest way is the best way :)

Keep at it, and good luck!

In AutoCAD I can draw an Arc with Start-End-Radius - perhaps there is an Arc-command in Solid Works too that you can use?

Thanks! Didnt think of that. I'll check it out. I was thinking maybe I had the workflow wrong. Start on the right plane, make a circle with a 40in radius and switch planes to position the revolve axis and remaining lines.

I have to turn in for the night. I'll check back in the morning. Thanks for help :)

Hi there,

I've been stumped on this problem for the last couple days. It seem that what the book does is leave a little for you to figure out on your own. Well it seems this is something that wasnt covered, and I cant seem to figure out how to do it.

Attached is an image from the book Learning And Applying Solidworks 2011-2012 by L Scott Hansen Ph.D. Chapter 2 Assignment 8 Using Solidworks Premium 2011

needimport013.png

[ATTACH]32489[/ATTACH]

Ch.2-As.8.SLDPRT

The chapter covers the following;

* Create a simple sketch using the Sketch commands

* Dimension a sketch using the smart dimension command

* revolve a sketch using the revolved boss/base command

* Create a hole using the extrude cut command

* Create a series of holes using the circular pattern command

I dont know if I did this wrong or if it wasn't explained properly.

I created a sketch on the Right Plane.

Followed the dimensions and cant figure out what the "40.00" is from. Its obviously a dimension, but how did they get that? Its tied to the curved line, which I assume is 40deg? Is that right? :oops:

As always, any help is very much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

There are several ways to go about this and a few relations you need to add to make things easy and clean. There is an arc tool but you could also draw a circle and trim it. With the information given you have everything you need there.

Start everything on the same plane(i used the Front plane but it doesnt matter which one).

Draw your horizontal revolve axis through the origin. I like to Right-Click>Select Midpoint and then CTRL-select the origin and make them coincident. Simplifies things.

Next draw your 3 straight lines. The horizontal 10inch line and the two vertical .25inch lines. I added some relations to this as well to locate it. I made my revolve axis line 10inches long and applied some 'vertical' relations between its endpoints and the endpoints of my ID for the revolve. (look at my image, the relation icons and the little numbers next to them telling you where they go to.

Last thing is to draw a 3 point arc using the arc tool. This will have you pick the start point, then the end point, then some mid point defining the radius. Your start point will be at the end of one of your .25inch lines. The end point will be on the other .25inch line. The radius mid point doesn't matter because you need to apply a 40in dimension, so just click somewhere to approximate it.

let me know if any of that wasnt clear and ill try to go into more detail.

edit. i uploaded the image http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj39/shift1313/SWarc2.jpg but you might not be able to see the small numbers there either. hopefully the directions were clear enough.

SWarc2.jpg

shift1313,

Thanks for your help. It all makes sense. I'll take a stab at it later tonight when I'm home. What relations are you adding? I noticed you used reference geometry for the revolve axis, am I correct? Thanks for the origin point tip. The CTRL-Shift. I'm a total noob, and it show asking this, but maybe you could help explain coincidence and relations? I've happened upon your site when I was first looking for tutorials. If you happen to have a video explaining this, I'm all ears. Thanks again for your help.

-J

• 2 weeks later...