Difference in font LUCIDA (Windows Vista & Windows 7)

Rutger

My colleague and myself have a problem with the font Lucida in the header of a plan we designed.

He's running Windows Vista and I am running Windows 7.

I designed the header, but now he has to make some additional plans with that same header but if he opens the file with that header, strangely enough the font Lucida he uses is not exactly the same as the one I've used although the properties show they're all the same. Another colleague with Windows 7 has no problem with it. As you can see in the attachments I've added, the '1' is not exactly the same as well as the '-' so texts don't fit the boxes they're in anymore.

We also can't really alter the font, seeing as Lucida is the font our client uses and requires for this project.

We've tried overwriting my colleague's font by my LUCIDA-font in the location C:\Windows\Fonts but this didn't resolve the problem either.

Any ideas?

Windows Vista.jpg

Windows 7.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Tiger

• Rutger

• eldon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AutoCAD's fonts are not the windows fonts. For Win7 the folder in question is: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2011\Fonts

Windows Vista might have the same style of search paths, or it might be under a user-folder, I don't know.

The difference between the two fonts is the one on the left has serifs while the one on the right is sans (without) serifs. Looks like the Lucida Sans Unicode version 5.00 font to me.

To my knowledge "Lucida" is a TrueType font which means it is a Windows font and not an AutoCAD font.

The Vista font is called Lucida Console version 5.00. Vista also shipped with Lucida Sans Unicode version 5.00 as well.

Good news. I just discovered that Windows 7 shipped with both versions of Lucida as well.

Edited by ReMark
spelling

LucindaFont.jpg

Created from within AutoCAD.

The fonts (they are TrueType by the way not SHX) are both from the same family (Lucinda) but they are different in appearance (re: serif vs. sans serif) and the kerning (spacing between letters) is different as well.

I'm using Windows 7.

Fonts are very strange. I seem to have Lucida on my machine, but it does show that even within a family of fonts, the character spacing does differ.

LucidaFonts.jpg

My mistake then.

After you replaced the Font on your collegues computer, did you close AutoCAD and re-start it?

There is also the possibility that another Font is specified in the Text Style (Style LUCIDA can reference the font LUCIDA SANS for example)

We've now copied all fonts beginning with Lucida from my computer to his. We'll try a restart (Windows and Autocad) asap and will let you know!

Rutger: Take a look at the above posts. You do not have to copy any fonts over. You both just need to be using the same version of the Lucinda font.

We've definitely established that the font I used to create the header is LSANS.TTF

But we're almost certain it's a problem with compatibility between Windows Vista and 7, because I've put the file LSANS.TTF on our internal network and when I open it there it shows it is version 1.67. When my colleague opens the same file on his Vista pc it shows it's version 1.20? With an alternative '1' and '-' So I guess Vista is not compatible with that newer version of the font? See below

LSANS 7.jpg

So to double check I made a little word file using that same font and mailed it to him, but when he opens it, the fonts again are not the same anymore.

I guess the only solution is for my colleague to upgrade to windows 7, unless someone has another solution?

Regards

Rutger

LSANS Vista.jpg

Are you just dragging and dropping the font or are you installing the font? There is a difference. Fonts must be installed.

In my opinion you both should be using Lucida Sans Unicode which, if you had bothered to look at the Microsoft link I previously supplied, shipped with Windows Vista and Windows 7 too.

very strange problem... and since it seems to be a windows problem, have you searched for a windows-forum/knowledge bank that might be able to help you?

Then again, Win7 is better than Win Vista in other ways, so upgrading (even though it is a PITA at the best of times) sounds like a good option to me.

I think it might be, dare I repeat myself for the third time, that the font was not installed?

"...I've put the file LSANS.TTF on our internal network..."

Notice he did not install the font, he just put (copied) the font.

I have never installed a font, and I move fonts back and forth every time a new computer or a new version of AutoCAD shows up. Then again, that is not Windows font-folder so what do I know.

Hope the OP does try installing the font before upgrading the computer then.

LucidaFonts.PNG

From the Windows 7 fonts folder.

Yes, I too move/copy fonts from the AutoCAD fonts folder as well but they all happen to be SHX fonts not TTF.