acad.exe - No Disk error

Mirabel

I apologize if this has been asked, but I couldn't find it with search. In fact, I couldn't find it anywhere. Even Google gave me sad little by way of return.

I'm running AutoCAD 2011. Everything was going well yesterday. No problems with computer or program. I shut down as per normal. This morning when I went to open ACAD, I quickly got this error box:

acad. exe - No Disk

The message in the box said:

There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive

\Device\Harddisk4\DR4

It gives me the option to cancel, try again or continue, and none of those work. In fact, the only way to get out of this process was to go to Task Manager, end ACAD, then close out the error box. Our IT guy and I spent all morning trying to figure out this problem to no good end. Has anyone else had this happen?

M

Yes! Thanks so much, SLW210! Can't wait to share this with our usually "unstumpable" IT guy.

The first few things on there weren't successful, and I was doubting anything there was going to work, but that last "Steps for Normal startup" part did the trick.

I appreciate your help.

Mira

Here's the unfortunate thing. I get to work this morning, and the same problem is back. Apparently this fix is a one of, and every time I shut down my system, I have to go through the same series of events again to open my CAD. :cry:

From forum member nestly and posted in the AutoCAD Discussion Group:

Try re-associating DWG files with the ACAD.exe located in the Program Files directory of your C: drive.

Someone could have opened a file that was on a drive other than a network drive or the hard drive. Example: CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, flash drive (USB) or even a backup drive.

Someone could have opened a file that was on a drive other than a network drive or the hard drive. Example: CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, flash drive (USB) or even a backup drive.

Correct.

The problem stems from searching for recent file history. Try clearing that out also and set 0 in Options>Open and Save>File Open & Application Menu>Number of recently-used files.