Removing an xref clip along with objects outside of boundary

nikolai

I have some drawings with multiple xref clips that I need removed. I use the xclipframe command and set the value to "1" which makes the boundary line visible. Then I generate a polyline from that boundary. Is there any way to delete all objects, associated with that xclip, outside of the xclip boundary? I can explode and then trim using "generated polyline" and it will delete everything inside of the polyline, but I want to delete objects outside of the polyline. I assume, if this is an available option, that it will delete all "outside" objects for the whole drawing. I only want to delete the objects, that prior to the explode, were hidden and attached to that xclip.... not objects that were already independent.

Essentially, what I would like to do is type a command that deletes all cropped or hidden information outside of xref clips... since I have multiple occurences per drawing.

I know that some of you will think this need is absurd, but that's irrelevant. I will benefit from this substantially... and yes I know, if I don't do anything, the final product will be identical to what I'm trying to achieve. If anyone here can help me with this problem, I will be eternally greatful. Thanks

Hi,

I am also facing a similar situation and will appreciate if anybody could shed some light on this topic.

Regards

Prabhu

I can explode and then trim using "generated polyline" and it will delete everything inside of the polyline, but I want to delete objects outside of the polyline.

When I posted this message I wrote that I was able to simply delete everything within my polyline. I would like to correct that statement. I had just discovered the wipeout tool and thought it was actually "wiping out" that area, but unfortunately it only blocks out the area with a mask. I still haven't found a solution.

Hi Guys,

Is there nobody who has a solution to this problem. It is so easy with Microstation. You can easily make any xref part of the drawing just by taking a boundary. Please help guys. I have loads of files to be merged and clipped.

Regards

Prabhu

• 1 year later...
I have some drawings with multiple xref clips that I need removed. I use the xclipframe command and set the value to "1" which makes the boundary line visible. Then I generate a polyline from that boundary. Is there any way to delete all objects, associated with that xclip, outside of the xclip boundary? I can explode and then trim using "generated polyline" and it will delete everything inside of the polyline, but I want to delete objects outside of the polyline. I assume, if this is an available option, that it will delete all "outside" objects for the whole drawing. I only want to delete the objects, that prior to the explode, were hidden and attached to that xclip.... not objects that were already independent.

Essentially, what I would like to do is type a command that deletes all cropped or hidden information outside of xref clips... since I have multiple occurences per drawing.

I know that some of you will think this need is absurd, but that's irrelevant. I will benefit from this substantially... and yes I know, if I don't do anything, the final product will be identical to what I'm trying to achieve. If anyone here can help me with this problem, I will be eternally greatful. Thanks

I WENT INTO XREF MANAGER AND BINDED THE XREF FILE INTO THE CURRENT DRAWING. THEN I EXPLODED THE XREF (NOW PART OF THE CURRENT DRAWING) BOUND IT WITH A RECTANGLE AND TRIMMED IT. THE ONLY PROBLEM I SEE IS THAT IF YOU HAVE EXTENSIVE LINEWORK AND TEXT FROM OTHER XREFS IT MIGHT HINDER YOU FROM DELETING/IDENTIFYING REMAINS OF EXPLODED OBJECTS SO I WOULD RECOMEND TURNING OFF SOME LAYERS TO ENABLE YOU TO IDENTIFY AND DELETE UNNECESSARY OBJECTS.

-MC-

once you bind an xref it's now simply a block in your drawing...so any changes to the external file will not be reflected in this drawing...

in versions 2008 (2007?) the xclip command has an option to invert the clip so that the inside of the clip boundary masks the xrefs (as oppose to the traditional outside)...

in previous versions you will need to either use a combination of xclip with wipeouts, or create a boundary that loops back on itself--careful not to overlap/cross the boundary that you're drawing the pline with---or copy the xref and clip the two independantly to get the effect you're looking for...(see this thread http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15057&highlight=xclip)

if using wipeouts (which is basically what xclip does) make sure the xref is below it using draw order...

xclipframe does not need to be set at 1 to generate a pline from the boundary...

• 1 year later...

Sorry to wake up a slumbering.... whatever.

Essentially, what I would like to do is type a command that deletes all cropped or hidden information outside of xref clips.

That's exactly what I am looking for. When binding and archiving the sheet files, I want to remove invisible data. Because there are multiple copies of a single xref in a sheet each with different x-clip boundary; generating x-clip frame, exploding and trimming is not a viable solution. Does anyone have a solution?

Cheers,

Guite

lol. This might not help or it just might. I remember that MicroStation had a feature where you would fence the area you wanted and the under the menus you would find "clip" and it would get rid, delete, everything outside of the fence. In AutoCad the closest I found was "Xclip", but this command just hides everything outside of the selection. I still haven't found a command in AutoCad that will delete what's ouside of my selection.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
Anyone know if any headway has been made with this issue. It turns out I'm still plagued by this problem

Hello I had this issue with a drawing very recently, I'm working with 2013v, there is a way to permanently remove the xclip frame. So it does not depends of the settings in your computer.

Just type XCLIP command, select the block, enter and then type "D" or Delete, this will make the frame to go without any harm to your block.

I also went ahead and create a macro using the RECORD option in Manage menu, to select all blocks in the drawing and delete all frames in the file with just 1 click.

I hope this helps!

Anyone know if any headway has been made with this issue. It turns out I'm still plagued by this problem

Tested in 2013 - From a layout, create a viewport (or use an existing one), adjust to show the area you want left, use EXPORTLAYOUT command, continue from there.

• 11 months later...