OFFSET

Specify offset distance or [Through/Erase/Layer] : t

Select object to offset or [Exit/Undo] :

Specify through point or [Exit/Multiple/Undo] : m

Specify through point or [Exit/Undo] : .3

Specify through point or [Exit/Undo] : 3

Specify through point or [Exit/Undo] : 2.5

Specify through point or [Exit/Undo] : 3

OK, I see it it now. If I enter it that way, which I believe is how eldon also described, the offset distances do NOT correspond to the numbers I input, they seem to be completely random. :o The only way it works for me is not to use the "Through" option, or to combine the "Through" mode with polar tracking, which also wouldn't work if the line was at an angle.

Sorry, but I don't have an explanation, nor a solution other than what ReMark said, don't use "Through" mode unless you're picking the "Through point" with your mouse (OSNAPS)

I have seen nestly's vedio,I have asked to show examples for distances varying (changing)

Here's a video of how it could be done using "Through" mode, but I don't think it's very efficient.

This problem has vexed me all night, where the offset distance is not at a constant difference, and I think that I might have sorted out what is happening.

The Offset command has a Through option, but it is expecting a point in reply, by snapping to a point on an entity, or a picked point. It is not expecting for a distance to be entered, and this is what is giving the trouble. If you enter a distance from the keyboard in response to the Through point, AutoCAD is taking a line from somewhere on the object to wherever the cursor is. This line is not necessarily at right angles to the object, and then AutoCAD resolves this distance to a distance at right angles to the object, which is not the expected offset.

I think this picture shows clearly, that although the Through distance may be entered at the keyboard, the actual offset distance is different. And the different offsets are not consistent because the cursor moves.

Because AutoCAD is not expecting a keyboard entry, it does not set up the rubber banding to show in which direction the distance is being taken. The solution is to use AutoCAD as it was intended, and not to interpret the commands as you would wish them to be.

FalseThroughOffset.jpg

Thank you nestly.......... Finally I You have Understood my doubt and you have given perfect solution.

I tried I got perfect .3,.15..........:)

Well I have doubt related to blocks.........But I think it will be better I should not asked.........otherwise it will take again 2 to 3 pages just to understand my doubt and again 2 to 3 pages to understand solution by me .:sick:

And you thought it was going to be easy because....?

So you are going to use the language barrier excuse? And how then do you expect to get answers to your questions?

I'm not sure where you are from but if there was a good AutoCAD help site like this in your language you wouldn't be here right?

Glad you got it sorted MemberX, don't be shy about asking more questions, even though ReMark perhaps doesn't understand how much trouble and how frustrating it is not to grasp the language completely, he is right that you won't get answers unless you ask, and that is what this forum is here for. Start a new thread for each new question though.

I can only think of how frustrating it is from this end. Is it exactly as frustrating? Perhaps not but it is still frustrating just the same.

We do our best to work through language problems. It's up to the person asking the question as to whether or not they want to stick with it.

Hey, if you don't want to post any further questions then all I can suggest is that you search for an AutoCAD help forum in your own country/language or find someone within your country/city/town who can act as a mentor to you.

Good luck either way.

I'm an Indian.I can understand URDU and Hindi languages very well.Though I have studied in English after 10th standard but 1st to 10th standard from vernacular medium school.My basic english grammar is very weak ,I never paid attention to my English language,because it was not very important for me.I can understand English (technical things) as I'm an engineer ,but I cannot explain very well in english.Anyways thanks for your help.