Is AutoSketch 9 Stable on MS Windows 7 ??

Shepherd Jim

I'm a woodturner and farmer and infrequently use AutoSketch 9 to design barnyard equipment and and produce "art" for my paper and website product listings.

Since moving up to Windows 7 (from XP Pro) I think I'm noticing signs of instability. AutoSketch 9 appears to run perfectly. But, opening and closing seem a little shaky -- I almost am always being presented with the question about whether or not to open a recovered file generated when I last exited the program.

If the AutoDesk folks were not charging US$200+ for AutoSketch 10 I would most likely not be here asking the question -- just move up to 10.

Does anyone know anything about AS 9 on Win 7 -- one way or the other??

Thanks! Jim

Bristol, Maine USA

• 2 months later...
I'm a woodturner and farmer and infrequently use AutoSketch 9 to design barnyard equipment and and produce "art" for my paper and website product listings.

Since moving up to Windows 7 (from XP Pro) I think I'm noticing signs of instability. AutoSketch 9 appears to run perfectly. But, opening and closing seem a little shaky -- I almost am always being presented with the question about whether or not to open a recovered file generated when I last exited the program.

If the AutoDesk folks were not charging US$200+ for AutoSketch 10 I would most likely not be here asking the question -- just move up to 10.

Does anyone know anything about AS 9 on Win 7 -- one way or the other??

Thanks! Jim

Bristol, Maine USA

Hi Jim,

I have installed Autosketch on several Win7 Machines.

Currently I have at home Autosketch 9 on a windows 7 x64 and at work on 2 x32 machines. :)

Bests,

Franco

autosketch-cad-training.com

kaos: Did you experience any problems during the installation of AutoSketch on your Win7 computer or have any advice regarding getting the program to operate you could share with Jim? Or was this pretty much a straightforward install?

Hard to even think about AutoSketch anymore with free LT clones out there now. Jim have you looked at DraftSight, DoubleCAD XT and NanoCAD? All three are free LT clones that work very well.

Hey guys...we're all responding to a post made back in January by someone who appears to have only stopped in for a visit then vanished. Oops. LoL

Hey Guys!

Sorry about my silence. I am here and have been monitoring and reading along. It was impolite of me to not acknowledge your good thoughts and advice.

I had downloaded and installed DraftSight which seems very interesting but didn't have any time to really give it a try. Life got in the way! I think that was about when two of the hard drives in my Windows Home Server crapped out and I had to begin backing up to a Drobo. Since last posting, I've also moved into a new smart phone and now our ewes have started having their lambs.

At this point I have promised myself that, whatever happens, I am NOT going to lay out $200.00 for the newest AutoSketch. I'd have to say that AutoDesk's pricing is saying very clearly that they do not consider me a very important customer -- almost hoping I'll go away and stop bothering them.

I expect I'll become a more regular member here as I start stubbing my toes climbing DraftSight's learning curve.

Thanks! Jim

Hey Jim, I agree, $200 for AutoSketch is just silly. Well the good thing is that almost all of Draftsight's commands are almost the same as AutoCAD's. I am sure we all can figure it out. I had a copy of DraftSight installed on my PC but I removed it as I already had AutoCAD. It seemed very capable.

Ops sorry, it's my fault the reply to the old post. :)

In any case I had a clean install of both Autosketch 9 and 10 on Windows 7

bests,

Franco