steel shapes

onkelbob

I have a lisp that generates steel shapes. I am having trouble using it on autocad 2012. Can anyone tell me the way to put the program in autocad 2012. Also one of the forums told another user that that feature was already in 2012. ??? Where is it.

Maybe I just don't know how to invoke the program. I dropped the lisp file in the bag in the applications pop up, where do I put all the data folders that are with the lisp file. It is already shown in the list of applications (however it is listed in a light grey color).

The lisp program is a tip from cadylist. the first line to the lisp is:

" ;Tip1779: STL.LSP STEEL SHAPES OF ALL TYPES AND SIZES ©2002, Al Rogers $50 Bonus Winner

;STL.LSP Version 1.1 - Al's STEEL MILL "

I have been away from acad for a while and am wondering if I have to edit the ;Tip1779; from the lisp file or what do I do to it if anything. And where do I put all the data folders that are with the lisp file.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• onkelbob

• ReMark

• SLW210

• Jack_O'neill

I'm not much of a lisp programmer, but I can tell you that anything after a semicolon ";" is ignored by the software as a comment. I use 2010, so 2012 may be different, but I'm guessing you either didn't load the program correctly or put it in the wrong directory or something.

One of the 2012 users will show up in a bit and give you better instructions.

You will find some steel shapes in the form of Dynamic Blocks on one of the tool palettes. There are steel beams for use with both imperial and metric users so don't use the wrong one. I think it is the Structural palette if I am not mistaken however since I am not on my cad computer at the moment I cannot confirm that for you.

A jump from 2002 to 2012 is significant. It could be that a lisp command has been dropped or replaced that was used in the lisp routine you are trying to use.

You will find some steel shapes in the form of Dynamic Blocks on one of the tool palettes. There are steel beams for use with both imperial and metric users so don't use the wrong one. I think it is the Structural palette if I am not mistaken however since I am not on my cad computer at the moment I cannot confirm that for you.

A jump from 2002 to 2012 is significant. It could be that a lisp command has been dropped or replaced that was used in the lisp routine you are trying to use.

It is under the structural pallet. Lots of help here.

The Program is called Al's Steel Mill, and I've been using it for years. It works fine in 2012, just unzip the files, and make sure add the path to that folder to your AutoCAD2012 support paths

It was Sunday afternoon when you posted, after all. Not a lot of activity on here on weekends, and especially Sundays.

did you check to see if you'd added the program and it's files to the correct folder, or added a path to it as Nestly suggested?

Yes this is fine but there are steel angles also used in steel design, they are also a pain to draw every time. I still would like to load my lisp program

Yes this is fine but there are steel angles also used in steel design, they are also a pain to draw every time. I still would like to load my lisp program

I am not sure how to add paths. or configure autocad in 2012

You have only got to draw them once if you make them into a block!

I have been using the stl.lsp program for years and it works fine under 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2004....just about any version I've run in the past it works. You just need to make sure that all the files ( and there are at least a dozen or so of them in this package) are all in your Support path. It works great for me. I know the newer versions of ACAD come with a complete library of the AICS manual but this program which was written years ago is still one of my favorites.

You have only got to draw them once if you make them into a block!

there are inch and half inch sizes of angles up to 12 inches. That means each angle size may have a many unequal legs and various leg (web) thicknesses. I have no idea how many different sizes that would be.I know also that I can make blocks that stretch, but that turns into a lot of work too. The lisp program is still the best solution.

there are inch and half inch sizes of angles up to 12 inches. That means each angle size may have a many unequal legs and various leg (web) thicknesses. I have no idea how many different sizes that would be.....

To answer that question, there are 182 different L-Shapes in Al's Steel Mill just from 1/2" angle to 8" angle. But Steel Mill can generate an unlimited number of L-shapes because it has a feature that allows the the user to specify any flange thickness, and two flange lengths.... and that's just for L-Shapes. Additionally, dynamic blocks for steel cannot be "stretched" accurately as the fillets and radii on angles and beams are not proportional to either the thickness, or flange/web lengths. The only way a Dynamic block can accurately reflect a wide size range is via visibility states, or lookup tables. Furthermore, Steel Mill also generates any size or shape steel as a 3D Solid, or a Surface. IMO, the single advantage of using blocks for steel shapes is BOM.

... so onkelbob, did you get Steel Mill working?

• 3 months later...

For anybody looking for shapes that does not have Mechanical, you can find them here. I am in the process of exporting the entire steel shapes library and placing the content online.

For anybody looking for shapes that does not have Mechanical, you can find them here. I am in the process of exporting the entire steel shapes library and placing the content online.
Al's Steel Mill is a great add-on to vanilla AutoCAD and has been floating around for years.

http://cadtips.cadalyst.com/standard-blocks/steel-shapes-all-types-and-sizes

Also, all Autodesk "vertical products" have an extensive steel library that comes standard, with great functionality since they are "AEC Objects".