Quadro vs Geforce in terms of AutoCAD performance?

jitindhillon

I honestly don't understand, I consider the workstations at the office to be very powerfull, Dell servers with Core I7 cpu's, solid state drives, 16 gygs of ddr3 ram & Quadro 2000 video cards with a gyg of ram and yet you are telling me that your wife's laptop runs 80 megabyte files just as good. Something doesn't sound right, I use to thnk that Dell workstations were supose to be among the best and even the alienware computers here don't compare with our workstations, I guess I was wrong, what kind of super laptor is that, I want to replace our big workstations and laptops with that brand, lol.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tzframpton

• cjsilen

• f700es

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"lol" all you want. My wife's laptop is a C2D with an ATI Radeon 3600 class mobile GPU so it's not like it's a crappy machine. And I didn't mean to say it runs "just as good" I'm saying I don't have to wait literally ten whole minutes for a file to refresh. It's showing it's age for sure, but my wife's laptop can outperform ANY 7300GT that's for sure. Should be able to anyways. :)

Welcome to the forum.

a 40 megabyte 3D drawing can take up to 10 minutes or more to regen with a cheap gaming card as opposed to less than a minute with a quadro. That will basically sum it up.[/font][/size]

Are we comparing apples and oranges? A high end Quadro versus a cheap gaming card. Is that redundant, or do you actually mean a gaming card from the bottom end of the spectrum? Why not level the playing field a bit and look at representative samples from the same range of their respective spectrums?

OK the only way to really compare is to do some type of "real" comparison. I looked and found PassMark's video card comparison test - http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/.

They charge for this but they have a 30 day demo mode so I downloaded and installed on the 2 machines I have access to. My Lenovo workstation and my Dell 570. Here is the result..

combined results.jpg

• 4 months later...
OK the only way to really compare is to do some type of "real" comparison. I looked and found PassMark's video card comparison test - http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/.

They charge for this but they have a 30 day demo mode so I downloaded and installed on the 2 machines I have access to. My Lenovo workstation and my Dell 570. Here is the result..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34459[/ATTACH]

What is the measurement in your result? Is higher better or is lower better?

Hi guys, I believe that there are some areas that should be explained in a little more detail. I am a Heavy CAD user and know the reasons

Didn't really explain anything to me.

Norbert did, in this and several other (older) threads http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Direct3D-or-OpenGL/td-p/1621665/highlight/true/page/4

when the switch was being made from OpenGL to DirectX.

....gaming cards deal with triangular faces because it's lighter on games to create a hollow building than a solid one, Quadro cards deal with tessellations.....

Can you post links to technical documentation on this "difference"?

What is the measurement in your result? Is higher better or is lower better?

The way I understood it, higher was better. If so this is interesting indeed. This shows my 1-2 year newer "video game" card based system with better 3D marks than the quadro card based workstation. On the flip side the quadro did better on most of the 2D tasks. The Lenovo cost 3 times as much as my Dell ;) What a difference 1-2 years makes in computing technology.