Object Instance Calculator

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone can help me with my problem:

I have created a block which contains various part numbers, with a description and some other bla bla, with a total number box, I issue this to clients to make the specification of product much easier. My idea was for people to use the quick select command to find how many instances there is of an object within the drawing.

As you will appreciate this is a slightly tedious process, as you have to physically type the part number then mentally take one instance off as it counts the number in the legend block as well.

So my question is.....Is there an addition/summary of object instances command I could use to make this process more dynamic and straightforward for the recipient/user of the block I issue?

Thanks for the pointers in advance,

Best Regards,

Ian

I believe that you could do this using data extraction, which could also be used to generate a table in the drawing, or the information could be exported to a spreadsheet or as a file in a choice of file formats. Whoops, I now see that you are using 2007, and I am not sure if data extraction was in use in 2007!

Basically I have created a table already, with an image and a text object which refers to the image (the image is a picture of the product). So I simply copy the text object around the drawing where the product is required. Ideally I want the numbers column to automatically update as the text objects are copied........if this makes sense??

I will check the data extraction out.......but literally I want AutoCAD to total up all the text instances in the table which I have already drawn.

So we are not counting instances of a particular block in a drawing rather we are counting the number of times a particular text code is present (minus 1 for legend).

Exactly right, a list of parts is inserted in block form. Which would then be expolded to copy around the text and polyline as shown to how ever many is required. The total is then displayed -1 from the legend.......hope this makes sense.

Having looked at data extraction function I do not think this will achieve what I am looking to do, as I wanted an automatically updated custom table........

Any other ideas anyone?