Template for border and title block

ggodwin

I am very new to Autocad and I'm using LT2011 version. I am creating some basic drawings for small aluminum parts and need a border/title block to use. I assume there are already some saved as templates.

Any direction on this would be appreciated.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ggodwin

• ReMark

• Jack_O'neill

• Tankman

Top Posters In This Topic

AutoCAD ships with some pre-made template files. As you know, these end with the DWT file extension.

You should also know there are templates for imperial and metric units. Which do you use?

What sheet size will you be plotting to ultimately?

Edited by ReMark
corrected error

Uh...Remark ol' buddy...I hate to disagree, or maybe it changed in 2012 (I don't know) but in 2010 the drawing template file extension is .dwt, not tmp.

You're right Jack it is. I corrected it. That's what I get for jumping around between multiple threads. Lost.... in.... space.

Free metric drawing templates can be found here...http://www.autocadeverything.com/help/showthread.php/4380-METRIC-DRAWING-TEMPLATES

You can thank NukeCad.

AutoCAD ships with some pre-made template files. As you know, these end with the DWT file extension.

You should also know there are templates for imperial and metric units. Which do you use?

What sheet size will you be plotting to ultimately?

Imperial and 8.5x11 for most plots.

These are small parts and would just print to a printer.

Have you looked at any of the ones AutoCAD has available? Do any of them work for you or would you rather create your own?

Currently sitting in a hospital on an iPad. As soon as I get out, I will see what they have. I assume they have one that would be fine. Where can I find these?

Currently sitting in a hospital on an iPad. As soon as I get out, I will see what they have. I assume they have one that would be fine. Where can I find these?

Oh, bummer dude...hope you get well soon!

If you did a normal installation, all you should have to do is click the "new" button and a file dialog will open showing the options available.

That's one of the better excuses I've heard for not creating a template. I'm kidding.

When you start a new drawing you click on File > New and the Select Template dialog window should open. You should then be looking at a list of files that currently reside in the Template folder (they end in the DWT file extension). Choose one. Open it. Don't like it? Close it and open another one. AutoCAD will default to the last template you selected. Don't like any of them? Create your own either by starting with an existing template and revising it or start with a new blank template file (acadlt.dwt) and create your own. Just make sure you save it back as a DWT file not a DWG file.

Oh' date=' bummer dude...hope you get well soon!

If you did a normal installation, all you should have to do is click the "new" button and a file dialog will open showing the options available.[/quote']

Considering the situation it is pretty good. I have two ruptured disc in my neck. Sitting at a desk kills me. However, modern day medicine they can give me an epidural of steroids in the area and it may fix it. I had one in my lower back last spring and with in days I was 100% normal. I posted from the waiting room and already home.:shock:

I kinda in a bind with the Autocad templates. I have the license on two machines. #1) Hotrod Machine went in for an over haul yesterday and getting a new operating system and #2) Machine may of may not have the the templates installed.

If not, I may have to change this to "creating" a template....

Shouldn't be a problem then. Include all your usual linetypes, text styles, dimension styles and layering conventions in your template (amongst other things) and every time you start a new drawing and use your template you won't have to spend the first 10 minutes setting up your work environment.

I feel your pain man. Three slipped discs here (two in lower back and one in neck) due to a car accident and being stupid enough to pick up an oak table...the wrong way. Ouch!

Watch the steroids though. You don't want to become dependent on them because they can mask pain. Pain is nature's way of telling us to slow down.

Definitely now looking just to create my own....

Take any pre-existing template. From there you can change the style and dimstyle to whatever you like.

Yada, yada, yada in the block, whatever you like.

Have fun creating your personalized title blocks.

I feel your pain man. Three slipped discs here (two in lower back and one in neck) due to a car accident and being stupid enough to pick up an oak table...the wrong way. Ouch!

Watch the steroids though. You don't want to become dependent on them because they can mask pain. Pain is nature's way of telling us to slow down.

I hear ya there. This is my 4th rupture. I had a lower disc rupture in 1988'. It was a basketball injury and had surgery. Last year i was rear ended and ruptured another lower. I took a shot on that one on 5-3-11 and it is still doing well. Then the two in the neck today. I found a really good doctor in Cincy with Mayfield. Bottom line is i have to get in shape and start sitting at these computers the right way. This stuff will kill a man as bad as labor.

Never had a rupture, but have pulled the muscles in my lower back several times. I have learned to listen when it starts warning me and stop doing what ever it is that's making it mad.

There's really not much to making a template. Find a drawing you already have that's got everything pretty well set like you want it and then spruce it up. You can purge out any blocks, layers or dim or text styles you don't want, keep and or modify the ones you do, then do a saveas. Change the extension to dwt and name it whatever you want. I have a bunch of different ones for different clients.

There's really not much to making a template. Find a drawing you already have that's got everything pretty well set like you want it and then spruce it up. You can purge out any blocks' date=' layers or dim or text styles you don't want, keep and or modify the ones you do, then do a saveas. Change the extension to dwt and name it whatever you want. I have a bunch of different ones for different clients.[/quote']

I am very new to Autocad for the 2nd time. I have over 1300 hours on Autocad R13. That is before Windows for you younsters. I got the template done but there is only one issue I am dealing with. I am trying to add some text and every time I select enter I lose all I keyed in. I have use test several times since getting back into the game. But, never seen this issue.

What is the obvious issue?

I am very new to Autocad for the 2nd time. I have over 1300 hours on Autocad R13. That is before Windows for you younsters. I got the template done but there is only one issue I am dealing with. I am trying to add some text and every time I select enter I lose all I keyed in. I have use test several times since getting back into the game. But, never seen this issue.

What is the obvious issue?

yeah, those youngsters seem to think that DOS means "dinosaur operating system". I go all the way back to release 10 myself.

What sort of text are you using? Dtext or Mtext? Not sure what's happening to you there. Maybe post the drawing that's doing this to you? I'll see if I can recreate it.

I think R10 was what we trained on in the late 80's.

I am using Dtext. As i as enter in the text i can hit enter and go to the next line. However, when I click off to end it is starting a new text box. If I hit esc or enter it wipes both text boxes out.