Enhanced Attribute Editor Help Please

sam_dubya

Hello everyone,

I am extremelty new to Autocad need some help with the Enhanced Attribute Editor. I have a drawing frame block with existing notes that I can alter with the enhanced attribute editor. I want to add some new notes to it but am having some problems. I have added an attribute Definition (ATTDEF) but am not sure how to go from there. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Sam

You need to open the block in the block editor "Bedit" then add your notes (attributes) with the attdef command and save the block, or explode the block, add the new attributes and then redefine the block with the block command.

• 1 year later...

I'm guessing because to those that know how to do this, it is such a simple thing to do that it is difficult to explain to others because after all of the multiple searches I have done it was still extremely unclear to me how to create a block with editable text. I have copy pasted blocks already created for so long that I never learned how. I've read people explaining to open a block and use the ATTDEF command but whenever I do that, it creates the text but it is only visible IN the block editor (BEDIT). So I would like to put the solution I found out on the web as I can find it no where.

FIRST! Create your editable attributes (text) by typing ATTDEF. You'll get the ATTRIBUTE DEFINITION window. I typically uncheck any/all MODE options as I don't fully understand them. the important part is under Attribute you have TAG, PROMPT, DEFAULT. for TAG I would put the block name or some description. under PROMPT, I would put the description of the text (NAME, CFM, VLTG, etc). under DEFAULT I just put the actual text I would use. If you want to have multiple text items (editable attributes), just type in ATTDEF again and create another item (text).

SECOND! draw the item that you intend to make a block (technically you could do this first if you so choose.

THIRD! (this I have found MUST be done LAST!!! I cannot add editable text (attributes to a block once it is created) create the block by using the BLOCK command. Use the SELECT OBJECTS to include the dwg. you created and the text items you created. Use the PICK POINT to create a base point (or type it in or specify on screen if you so choose). Don't forget to give the blok a name. As others have said, I recommend putting all of the items of the block on Layer 0 so that when you insert the block on any given layer it will follow that layer's "rules". If you forget to do this you can always change using BEDIT (block editor) Now that you've created the block. Goto your layer of choice, choose INSERT and BLOCK and pick the block you created and insert it. Now you should be able to double click the item and you can edit the text and your day is complete. Now those of you MORE experienced can correct anything i've stated or simplify the process if you can do so clearly! thanks!

• 8 months later...

I have a block(enhanced attribute). I want to explode that. I already use BURST command,but its not exploding. please help me for that ............

did you try EXPLODE as well? why do you want to explode it? you can edit attributes without exploding the block.

After adding new attributes to an existing block you might want to explore the BATTMAN and ATTSYNC commands (outside of the block editor).

I've also found that often these new attributes are not visible when the block is copy / pasted but will show when the block is re-inserted into the drawing.

...I cannot add editable text attributes to a block once it is created...

This is not true. You can add or edit any amount of attributes you want after creating a block. All you have to do is use the command ATTSYNC once you exit the block editor. This will update all blocks.