Someone must have the symbol I'm looking for...

Big_D

So where do I go if I'm looking for a component symbol that isn't in AutoCAD Electrical? With all of the users out there, someone must have already drawn what I need. Is there a data base some where. Specifically I'm looking for a Yaskawa V1000 drive so if you can answer these questions in generallity and specifically, I would appreciate it. By the way, I'm a newbie to the AutoCAD Electical. Thanks.

Is there a generic symbol for a variable speed drive available?

Why not create a custom symbol based upon the drive standard connection diagram?

Edited by ReMark

I think I phrased my question incorrectly. Someone must have already created a symbol based on the drive connection diagram for the V1000 or any other drive or component out there in the world. Isn't there a compendium of this stuff so I don't have to take the time to do what has already been done?

If someone has taken the time to create a symbol based on the drive connection diagram for the Yaskawa V1000 variable speed drive he/she isn't hanging around here at the moment. Sorry. What can I say?

And who do you think would be responsible for maintaining this compendium?

Contact Yaskawa. Maybe they would be happy to share their CAD drawing file with you so you don't have to expend any time to draw it yourself.

You can also check the CAD Block library at the CADforum and stop by the CAD Block Exchange Network and see if anyone uploaded a suitable symbol you can use at their website.

One last option: post your question at the Electrical Discussion Groups on the AutoDesk website.

There are more than 2 dozen versions of that drive available. Here's an idea...how about a rectangle with a bit of text that says "YASKAWA V1000". Then you can bring numbered lines off of it anywhere convienient and put a table of to the side with the numbers and what that lead does. That is assuming you are drawing a schematic and not a 3d representation of the actual gizmo. Etiher way, you are probably going to have to draw one.

Were you looking under PLC/IO or Motor Control?

I take it Yaskawa is not a listed manufacturer right?

Did you check the Yaskawa website to see if they had symbology that be downloaded for use in AutoCAD Electrical?

I need specific information in the form of the following to help you further.

V1000 Frame 10 for CIMR-VUBx0010FAA

Update

I don't have all day to fool around with this. I did pay a visit to the Yaskawa website and they do have CAD drawings for some of the products that they sell. Interesting enough one can download a solid model (in .stp format) that can be imported into AutoCAD. I could not locate a 2D symbol to use in ACADE. If it is that important to you visit their website, get the contact information, and call.

I'm done with this thread. Have a sparkling day.

If at first you don't succeed, stop complaining and try a different approach.

Edited by ReMark

I would highly recommend learning how to create your own blocks.

Are you just starting to use ACADE at your company?

I was in the same spot as you are, and realized that instead of fighting to learn how to use the advanced features and limp ACADE along it would be best to embrace it and learn as much about it as I could to get the most out of the software. ACADE can be customized to do just about anything. (I'm actually creating my own utility that changes the way ACADE processes wire numbers as we speak). ACADE does have a steepish learning curve, but you might as well learn how to make blocks now.

http://www.cadalyst.com/manufacturing/creating-autocad-electrical-blocks-avatech-tricks-tutorial-5993

Check this out. It might get you headed in the right direction even though this is an old version of ACADE and the block editor is much different now.

Also poke around http://www.caddigest.com/ This site has overwhelming amounts of useful information.

• 2 weeks later...

In the end I created my own. I just think it would be a neat idea if there was a compendium of this stuff. Then the world would be universal. I didn't mean to create any fuss. Many years ago (1997) i worked with something called Adept-e (i think) and we (as a company) had every part we ever used in the CAD library (parent child and all). I was just thinking that just as AutoDesk has many vendors already installed, that there would be an external vendor list too for the ones AD didn't have. Thanks to all that helped. I'll check out the links now.

You would have to take that up with AutoDesk. Did you bother to check AutoDesk Seek? Probably wouldn't be there but who knows. I don't find much of their content very useful.

No software vendor could possibly add a symbol for every piece of hardware that every company in the world puts out. I know when it's something that you use every day, its easy to say "why isn't that in there?" but you have to keep in mind that what may be common to you, the company across the street may have never heard of. Some vendors will try to put drawings of their products on a website, but they may not always be current. Some fear that someone will somehow use that info against them so part drawings are a closely guarded secret.

I quite often use a specific brand of concrete anchor in my curtainwall drawings. The brand that is most popular has drawings you can download and even a lisp routine they will give you that will pop in the right one based on text box input. Works great, but there's not a single drawing in the hundreds of them that they give you that is drawn to actual size. They even put the dims on there so you'll know what size it is, but the actual drawings are screwy.

Generally, if the vendor's website or customer service line won't furnish the drawing, I find it takes less time to just draw one than to dig around on google or where ever trying to find it, only to have to draw it myself anyway. It never hurts to ask if someone has it, but if you don't get an answer pretty quick, you'll burn more labor looking for it than it's worth.