Changing from metric to imperial in an AutoCAD drawing

woodward007

Hi Guys,

Changing from metric to imperial in an AutoCAD drawing half way through. Can this be done-- i keep searching for dimension settings but can't find anything. Can you answer this? Or is the drawing defined from the start of the drawing when you 1st load?

Thanks

Chris W

First you have to change the units to imperial or "Architectural" and then you have to start scaling the drawing down by 0.039370079...(1/25.4). Then you will have to go through and change the dimension styles to the appropriate size.

If you're interested in just changing the dimensions and not the actual size have a look at this thread.

Mike

• 2 years later...

hi,

i've drawn in metric but an 'ye olde' client would like me to dim up his plans in feet and inches, not something i have had to do before. The recommended links to threads (see above) must have expired too, can someone point me in the right direction/ help,

thanks,

Steve

yes i guess i need dual measurments as this is just a one off excersize for someone who doesn't understand metric. It only need be approximate, they're not going to build from the imperial dims, its just a case of "you're bedroom is x feet by x feet".

that's easy then. On your dimension style dialogue box go to the Alternate Units tab and tick the box. Put in your conversion factor (1"=25,4mm) and all should be clear.

thanks for the help dave, however i am a bit simple (i'd rather confess that than use the word newbie).

in autoCAD 2006 i've gone: dim style> modify > alternate units > display alternate units >

unit format = architectural

precision= 0'-0"

muliplier for alt unit= ? (is this where i work your magic)

if you're going to continue with the drawings you should also change these variables, measureinit and measurement to zero as that will tell autocad to use acad.pat and acad.lin (instead of acadiso.pat and acadiso.lin) so that you're using the imperial version of the hatch patterns and linetypes...you may also need to reload some of the linetypes so that the lt scale will show up appropriately...

if you're going to continue with the drawings you should also change these variables, measureinit and measurement to zero as that will tell autocad to use acad.pat and acad.lin (instead of acadiso.pat and acadiso.lin) so that you're using the imperial version of the hatch patterns and linetypes...you may also need to reload some of the linetypes so that the lt scale will show up appropriately...
I disagree. Having added the dual dimesions with the base metric, the drawings are still metric "scale". If you were to scale the drawing and dimension exclusively imperial then I agree with what you suggest.

hey dbroada...i was thinking more then just dimensioning if you were to carry on with the drawing in imperial (after you rescale all the entities), ie add hatching, more lines etc...if all he wanted was imperial dimensions then yes only change the dimstyle to show alternate units :wink: