What is the best laptop for autocad 2012 under $1000?

Deneyeone

I am a new student this semester and want to purchase a laptop for all of my schoolwork. One of my instructors recommended a Toshiba but the laptops I looked at at best buy seem to all have small screens. I want a bigger screen, any ideas?

I am a new student this semester and want to purchase a laptop for all of my schoolwork. One of my instructors recommended a Toshiba but the laptops I looked at at best buy seem to all have small screens. I want a bigger screen, any ideas?

Start with printing off the system requirements as published by AutoDesk dot com for your program, and then look for a laptop with the specifications that will do the job in your price range. You can't cut corners on the system requirements without suffering for it later. If you drop a grand plus on a computer, you're gonna want to use it for a long while too.

Here's a Lenovo Thinkpad T520 selling for $1050 after an eCoupon.

The one downside is a 5400 rpm hard drive. Other than that you get a Win7 Pro 64-bit system with 4GB of 1333MHz DDR3 RAM and a 1GB graphics chip.

Thanks for the response. Due to a deluge of homework in Algebra and a writing class I do not want to spend much time looking. I really wanted to hear from people using autocad on a laptop. Autocad requires 2gb hard drive space and 2gb random . That is for indtallation and use . That being said, we will eventually be using 3d and inventor and do not know if I need to install all of it now and how many shared files they use. Would like the largest screen I can get withoput spending 3k on a mac.

Thinkpads are #1. Think 14" screen if you require longer battery life!

My older Thinkpads are both runnin' AutoCAD '07 and Solidworks, never any problems.

However, I'm not rendering. 2D and a little 3D from time to time.

• 2 months later...

Once again I come up with a question and there is already an answer. Just a quick add to this thread, my IT guys in the basement are telling me that I should get a laptop that has an independent graphics chips and something about Intel Core i7 if I can splurge on it. Any additional advice?

I just bought an HP Envy with very nice specs and it is running 2013 autocad and inventor very well. I don't work with large files so I don't know about performance on big files. it was $1250, so above your budget but you could lower some of the options.

I just bought an HP Envy with very nice specs and it is running 2013 autocad and inventor very well. I don't work with large files so I don't know about performance on big files. it was $1250, so above your budget but you could lower some of the options.

I am working on an HP as I write this, had another one before this.

In my company we have had less than stellar luck with HP longevity.

My latest laptop acquisition was a DELL XPS15 Z, which is pretty nice.

HP just released their new IVY BRIDGE lineup, and they do look interesting.

Just keep in mind on the task that you are trying to accomplish.

Heres a list of common tasks and the requirements

1. Large Drawing files - You need a Fast HDD or an SSD to load them up faster and easier

2. Manipulating Multiple drawings at once - You need a Fast CPU in order to handle all the calculations

3. Rendering - You need a muti-thread CPU at a decent clock rate to have optimal performance

4. 3D design - You need a good GPU that can handle the 3d manipulation and rendering

5. Simple 2D sketches - A good amount of RAM and CPU power is all that is needed

6. If your needs require more then one option of 1-6, then buy accordingly

I Built my PC with 2 purposes. 1. a Gaming PC 2. A mobile workstation and media center.

Once you build and acquire goal in mind, then you have something in which you wont be disapointed

I would not consider a laptop with less than 17 inch screen for CAD work.

You can get a 17" with 8Gig RAM for around $800 that will be fine for AutoCAD.

I Agree, the Best bang for your buck is 8 GB of RAM, though i find 16 over kill. and the 24 gbs i have at my job is surprisingly good enough....