Getting upper Management to listen ???

DANIEL

Anyone around here got any advice on getting upper management to listen. They consistently treat CAD as an easy button and even more angering, cut the rug out from under me occasionally on things such CAD upgrades, new software recommendations and drafting standards, even a few personnel decisions.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DANIEL

• BlackBox

• Jack_O'neill

• rkent

In many cases you (the CAD go-to-guy) are only as important as the next deadline. Unfortunate.

It's infuriating when you know things could be done much more efficiently and they ignore your advice. Yet, they have no problem with buying that new conference table and chairs.

In many cases you (the CAD go-to-guy) are only as important as the next deadline. Unfortunate.

It's infuriating when you know things could be done much more efficiently and they ignore your advice. Yet, they have no problem with buying that new conference table and chairs.

it's carpet shampooing around here .......

the one thats really vexing me is that I can hire but I can't fire, not anymore it seems, my last boss (who quit due to stress, just like the one before him lol) had no problems with this, the 'new guy' however has taken that control away from me, so now my power is limited to tattletale, which I'm sure you can see is inspiring my cad personel to do what I tell them.

I've read some great articles on this by Mark Kiker (and others) that may be of help... I'll see if I can't dig some up, and post back links.

FWIW - The overwhelming gist of what I've read, and the AU courses I've completed, is that it is our job to make management understand that CAD standards are not a one-time deal, that a document is printed, and never needs to be revisited. Instead, CAD Standards are always evolving, and should be revised a frequently as necessary to thoughtfully allow the company to produce the highest quality product possible, with as much accuracy, and little effort as required.

Decision making comes with management trusting you with additional leadership responsibility. It is incumbent upon you to demonstrate the leadership qualities, and sound judgement, that puts the company, the staff, and the bottom line in the forefront of you decision making process (DMP). If management is taking the reins, they either don't feel you're qualified, or don't care to delegate.

As for hardware... I've just gone through this recently. The best argument I've heard to date to the question of "How much will it cost?" is to ask "What is it going to cost us if we don't?" (

When my counterparts and I were asked to offer opinion on hardware upgrades, my counterparts were very frugal. I instead spec-ed out a monster... Dell Precision M6600 Notebooks, Intel (quad) Core i7 processor, 17" display, Windows 7 64-Bit, 2 GB Video card, 16 GB RAM... the initial feeling was that it was over the top (especially by one of my counterparts). Then I explained how the cost under our corporate purchase policy is not paid for upfront, but instead paid for quarterly, over the next four years, on top of our corporate discount (i.e., if the laptop is $2000 total, the payment is only $125 every three months).

What also helped was that I made it clear that given that the notebooks were more than what is required for our current CAD applications, that we could make one or more upgrades and still not need new hardware, or upgrades. More specifically, that the cost to upgrade computers after-the-fact was more expensive than just ordering them the way we want.

Now our new "standard CAD station" (at least for my group) is exactly what I spec-ed out... They even purchased my Logitech hardware, given my justification for the Macro enabled keys.

HTH

Looks like you have to train the new boss too.

What criteria do you use to evaluate when it is time for an upgrade? Is it age of equipment alone or are there other factors?

Looks like you have to train the new boss too.

What criteria do you use to evaluate when it is time for an upgrade? Is it age of equipment alone or are there other factors?

I gage it by its impedement to productivity or its inevitable impedement .....

If you can find some way to tie what you want to do into real, traceable data on cost saving and increases to the bottom line, you'll have a chance. Have all your ducks in a row, be prepared to answer any question thrown at you about how the change you want to make will impact the bottom line, and specifically how fast it will pay back any capital outlay. Management does not care about morale, comfort or making things easier on the slaves err....employees. What they care about is maximizing their performance bonuses and you are going to have to sell them on that to ever get them to stick their hiney out and take a chance on spending a single dollar.

Just my two cents on top of everything else. You'll do much better in dealing with management if you can put your case in financial terms. It helps to have a baseline, that is, a profit & loss statement for your department under current conditions, which you can compare to estimated expenses & revenues after a change.

At some point refusing to upgrade becomes a competitive disadvantage. Been there...

I gage it by its impedement to productivity or its inevitable impedement .....

Consider this situation from management's point of view for a moment...

Six months, a year, three years ago... presumably you went to management for 'this upgrade', or 'that purchase', on the basis of whatever buzzword you choose... efficiency, productivity, accuracy, profitability. Now again, from their point of view, you're coming to them asking for another upgrade, purchase, etc. on the basis that what was upgraded, or purchased last time is now an impediment...? You're confusing them, or worse, you're making it easy for them to identify what they may see as poor decision making, or lack of strategic & logistical planning.

It's not the goal that is the issue here IMO, it's how you're presenting it to them (presumably).

What you have is not the impediment, not having the new thing is... and it's 'going to cost you (your employer) even more, because other companies will now be more competitive'. Ergo, it is going to become more difficult to win work over your competitors if reasonable, recurring, planned upgrades are not performed on a regular basis (every other year?).

Enter the evolving nature I mentioned earlier. It's also important for you to clarify for them the differences, and commonalities between IT, and CAD... Specifically, where one begins, and the other ends, etc.. Every employer approaches this differently. Knowing your craft, as well as how the different departments work together shows not only initiative on your part, but also demonstrates that you're interested in the bigger picture... concepts at the strategic level.

Management does not understand the world of CAD, generally speaking. They're managers of personnel, and budgets, and sometimes sales(wo)men, or technical experts as well depending on the scope and scale of your employer. You've got to present your case to them in a context in which they understand, *and* more importantly, one in which they're persuaded by (remember that public speaking, or the creative writing course now? LoL).

A reasonable, well thought out, and well communicated plan will do more for you than anything else. You're selling them on your idea(s), and you've got to have the know how, to make things happen if they grant the request.

As you may well already know... Identifying the problem(s) isn't sufficient... Offer a solution for them to consider.

Case in point.... What does management have in common with a woman? What does a woman want more than anything?? Answer... Options, my friend. Lots, and lots of options to choose from LoL.

Levity aside, I think you get my point... providing management two or three thoughtful options will do wonders for your case. You may not always get the option you want, but you've gained ground by having input if nothing else. Establishing a history of solid input, leads to trust in judgement, and builds confidence in your decision making.

Daniel,

I've got a couple of articles on my blog (see my sig) that I wrote recently for AUGI. They might be helpful in formulating a plan. There is no quick fix for what you are going through but a well put together plan can't hurt.

Good luck.

If you can find some way to tie what you want to do into real' date=' traceable data on cost saving and increases to the bottom line, you'll have a chance. Have all your ducks in a row, be prepared to answer any question thrown at you about how the change you want to make will impact the bottom line, and specifically how fast it will pay back any capital outlay. Management does not care about morale, comfort or making things easier on the slaves err....employees. What they care about is maximizing their performance bonuses and you are going to have to sell them on that to ever get them to stick their hiney out and take a chance on spending a single dollar.[/quote']

it's an employee thats costing them money right now and there seems to be nothing I can say to get them to understand that his insobordination is costing them due to the fact that I have to go back and fix all his crap, I hired him to assist me, I had to fight to get them to understand that I needed help, I don't understand what they don't understand when I say he needs replaced because he's causing more work for me and on top of it ain't really been helping out all that much to begin with ..... I've had to let poeple go before, not very often, just a couple times, most of my hires have been spot on, I don't know why they won't let me keep that control.

Consider this situation from management's point of view for a moment...

Six months, a year, three years ago... presumably you went to management for 'this upgrade', or 'that purchase', on the basis of whatever buzzword you choose... efficiency, productivity, accuracy, profitability. Now again, from their point of view, you're coming to them asking for another upgrade, purchase, etc. on the basis that what was upgraded, or purchased last time is now an impediment...? You're confusing them, or worse, you're making it easy for them to identify what they may see as poor decision making, or lack of strategic & logistical planning.

It's not the goal that is the issue here IMO, it's how you're presenting it to them (presumably).

What you have is not the impediment, not having the new thing is... and it's 'going to cost you (your employer) even more, because other companies will now be more competitive'. Ergo, it is going to become more difficult to win work over your competitors if reasonable, recurring, planned upgrades are not performed on a regular basis (every other year?).

Enter the evolving nature I mentioned earlier. It's also important for you to clarify for them the differences, and commonalities between IT, and CAD... Specifically, where one begins, and the other ends, etc.. Every employer approaches this differently. Knowing your craft, as well as how the different departments work together shows not only initiative on your part, but also demonstrates that you're interested in the bigger picture... concepts at the strategic level.

Management does not understand the world of CAD, generally speaking. They're managers of personnel, and budgets, and sometimes sales(wo)men, or technical experts as well depending on the scope and scale of your employer. You've got to present your case to them in a context in which they understand, *and* more importantly, one in which they're persuaded by (remember that public speaking, or the creative writing course now? LoL).

A reasonable, well thought out, and well communicated plan will do more for you than anything else. You're selling them on your idea(s), and you've got to have the know how, to make things happen if they grant the request.

As you may well already know... Identifying the problem(s) isn't sufficient... Offer a solution for them to consider.

Case in point.... What does management have in common with a woman? What does a woman want more than anything?? Answer... Options, my friend. Lots, and lots of options to choose from LoL.

Levity aside, I think you get my point... providing management two or three thoughtful options will do wonders for your case. You may not always get the option you want, but you've gained ground by having input if nothing else. Establishing a history of solid input, leads to trust in judgement, and builds confidence in your decision making.

the upgrade battle was a 2 year process that both me and my employer lost, when I told them to upgrade and what to upgrade I got shot down in flames, despite explaining to them why it was time and how it was going to save them money, after being forced to by a client it cost them twice as much as it ould have, just like I told them it would .....

Daniel,

I've got a couple of articles on my blog (see my sig) that I wrote recently for AUGI. They might be helpful in formulating a plan. There is no quick fix for what you are going through but a well put together plan can't hurt.

Good luck.

thanks Patrick, I'll definitely take a look at it.

It is not simple to fire people these days.

You need WELL DOCUMENTED examples of poor performance AFTER, WELL DOCUMENTED training on what the job function entails and what is expected of the employee. Lots of liabilities involved.

You need to document his time and your time, reworking all he has done. He needs a verbal warning (with written evidence the verbal warning was administered :shock:) and at least one written warning. Get him to sign all paperwork involved.

That is why the company only wants certain individuals to do the firing and even hiring these days. You have to watch every word and action.

As far as upgrades etc., it really depends on how your company processes such requests as to the best approach. Some go by departments an some go by what equipment, etc. Anything I want here, we charge to engineering dept. to avoid convincing IT we need another software or upgrade.

As per your example, you claim "after being forced to by a client it cost them twice as much as it should have, just like I told them it would .....". But, did it really cost them anything at all to do it in that manner, might want to check with the bean counters what the cost to the company ACTUALLY was. Might have actually been a better deal.

:offtopic:

You need WELL DOCUMENTED examples of poor performance AFTER, WELL DOCUMENTED training on what the job function entails and what is expected of the employee. Lots of liabilities involved.

You need to document his time and your time, reworking all he has done. He needs a verbal warning (with written evidence the verbal warning was administered :shock:) and at least one written warning. Get him to sign all paperwork involved.

That is why the company only wants certain individuals to do the firing and even hiring these days. You have to watch every word and action.

Ha, ha - d@mn Gosh darned Vogons and their paperwork!

vogons-buena-vista1.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbr7NPsaSLIThc6PUVbibySwX9fzalFTK1lQVOc1J__vg3ZL02

As far as upgrades etc., it really depends on how your company processes such requests as to the best approach. Some go by departments an some go by what equipment, etc. Anything I want here, we charge to engineering dept. to avoid convincing IT we need another software or upgrade.

As per your example, you claim "after being forced to by a client it cost them twice as much as it should have, just like I told them it would .....". But, did it really cost them anything at all to do it in that manner, might want to check with the bean counters what the cost to the company ACTUALLY was. Might have actually been a better deal.

Texas is a right to work state so you'd be suprised at how easy it is to fire some one here, I suspect he's feeding someone lies but who knows for sure ... but I digress ... I definitely plan on starting some documentation as apperantly my word isnt good enough any more lol

as for what it actually cost the company to upgrade, they still had to get me to do it all for them so I saw everything, the price came out about the same actually do to a new corporate account with autodesk but we were short a copy of electrical and only got one subscription ...