Xrefs shown in Drawing, not in Manager..?

Farv Cad

Hey all,

I am new to this Forum, but have been using Cad since 2000.

I have been using this Forum as a reference for years and finally decided to join in and participate.

Thought I would start off with a current issue I have.

Simply, I have Xrefs showing up in my Drawing correctly, but they are not listed in my Xref Manager. ?

If it makes a difference, I did move the Host Job Folder into an Archive. So normally my XRef links are broken but still they show up in my Xref Manager and not in the Drawing until I re-path to the new location. This is because I didn't use Relative Paths, which I am starting to use now.

Am I overlooking something?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by Tiger
removed link

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Farv Cad

• RobDraw

• SLW210

• tzframpton

Are you sure they are not blocks or have been inserted with BIND? Select one and check properties.

Hey there,

I checked the Properties and it is listed as an External Reference.

How would I check if I Binded them? I might have done something like that when I moved it into the Archive Folder so that I could see the attached Xrefs without re-pathing them all.

I honestly can't remember, it was a while ago.

Thanks again.

If you did bind them, they would be blocks now. There are a few ways to get them back to XREFs. If there are multiple XREFs and you need to do this over many files, there are routines called "UNBIND", google it. If it's a one shot deal, you can reattach the XREFs but first you will need to erase the bound XREFs, which are now blocks, and purge the drawing before you can insert the XREFs. Make sure to note the insertion points of the blocks before erasing them.

If you did bind them, they would be blocks now. There are a few ways to get them back to XREFs. If there are multiple XREFs and you need to do this over many files, there are routines called "UNBIND", google it. If it's a one shot deal, you can reattach the XREFs but first you will need to erase the bound XREFs, which are now blocks, and purge the drawing before you can insert the XREFs. Make sure to note the insertion points of the blocks before erasing them.

I tried to convert from Block to Xref using my Express Menu, but it does not recognize the entities as blocks. Furthermore, when I highlight one of them, they are still labeled as External References in the Properties Panel, yet not listed in the Xref Manager...

Can you post one here for further examination?

What happens if you try to attach another XREF? Does it show up in the XREF manager?

I did that and it showed up in the Manager like normal.

Can you post a screen shot of your XREF manager?

See attached image.

It shows the Xref highlighted in the Drawing and listed in the Properties Box as an External Reference, but does not show in the Xref Manager.

This is just 1 of about 10 Xrefs in this Drawing.

Thanks.

XrefManager.jpg

What about when you type CLASSICXREF to bring up the old school XREF manager? Anything show in there?

Cool... They are shown there... Weird... I wonder why there and not in the regular Manager... Hmm..

I wonder if there is a way to now make them visible in the regular Manager...

I would simply reload all the Xrefs, but there are 16 and all have specific Layers on, off and frozen...

Anyway, I can see them now at the very least....

Thanks StykFacE...

I would simply reload all the Xrefs, but there are 16 and all have specific Layers on, off and frozen...

Would Layer States save your settings while you reinserted them?

I could never get Layer States to work well for me, so I stopped using it many versions ago...

I know that it can be a very good time saving tool, but I have done without...

Can you give me the Cliff's Notes on how I would use Layer States to save my Settings..?

Thanks...

I'll leave that for someone else as I only use them when I get drawings that require switching them and would have to fumble my way through setting them up.

I'll leave that for someone else as I only use them when I get drawings that require switching them and would have to fumble my way through setting them up.

Understood..

Thanks for the suggestion though..

Anyone able to tell me a quick way to use Layer States to save my weird Xref Settings whilst I re-insert the root Xrefs..?

Also, what is the difference between Bind and Insert when Binding?

Thanks.