How do I make AutoCAD load lisp files automatically?

TFerg

Hi, new here and looking for help.

Using AutoCAD 2000.

How do I make lisp routines "load" automatically when AutoCAD starts?

I remember back in the day it was a matter of pasting the routine (code) into the main Acad.lisp file ... is this still how?

Is there a way in the settings that I can just tell AutoCAD to open specific ones everytime so that I don't have to manually load them?

Have only been using a few the past few years so when I needed them I would load them manually, so I'm sort of "out of the loop" on this.

Also.... should I be aware of lisp code from maybe 8 years ago (ACAD 14) NOT working in autocad 2000? or will it read it just like it used to?

Thank you very much.

Am very glad I found this forum... been surfing thru it learning things.

• 10 years later...

Hello.

I notice there are a lot of potentially useful LISP's out there, but I can't seem to get my CAD to recognize them once I've loaded them. I assume one just pastes the text in to the Visual LE, and then save the file. Any clues?

Thank you.

No, you use the APPLOAD command or the Startup Suite or acad.lsp or acaddoc.lsp to load your lisp files. Once loaded you must use the command name the author of the lisp routine gave the program to actually run it.

No, you use the APPLOAD command or the Startup Suite or acad.lsp or acaddoc.lsp to load your lisp files. Once loaded you must use the command name the author of the lisp routine gave the program to actually run it.

Ahh, thank you. A lot of times, I don't see an actual assigned name to these routines, just "here, try this; text-code etc."

I don't want to bug people with n00b questions, but I'm trying to approximate what Blue Beam does as far as volume measurements. CAD has the simple "AA" command, and I can certainly do the conversion math and add text, but it would be nice to have some good volume-centric LISP's.

Any directions you can point me would be greatly appreciated.

I do takeoff/construction estimating now, I used to to shop drawings for stainless steel fabrication.

Two very different worlds.

Thanks!

Open notepad and copy and paste code from here / google etc and then give it a name and save, as a .lsp use appload to run it.

Be carefull a lot of sample code has c:test as the start to run you need to change to something more realistic, c:rccol "replace circle colour"

Also if you add say (c:rccol) as the last line of the code when you appload it will run the command for you as 1st time asked. Then you only type rccol to run again.

We have menus set up for the majority of our lisps or use appload for a once off run with the code made as a local defun (rccol).

Open notepad and copy and paste code from here / google etc and then give it a name and save, as a .lsp use appload to run it.

Be carefull a lot of sample code has c:test as the start to run you need to change to something more realistic, c:rccol "replace circle colour"

Also if you add say (c:rccol) as the last line of the code when you appload it will run the command for you as 1st time asked. Then you only type rccol to run again.

We have menus set up for the majority of our lisps or use appload for a once off run with the code made as a local defun (rccol).

Thank you!

Well...

that was awfully simple.

The startup suite is okay if you have 3 or 4 lisp files, but if you have dozens of lisp files, plan on working on multiple machines, and/or want to make life easier when upgrade time comes around annually, then you should consider loading your lisp files using the "acaddoc.lsp" file. This method is very portable and allows you to do much more than just load other lisp files too. Reply if you want more info.

My $.02

You could also consider the "Autoload" method.

LeeMac has a good explanation on his site.

Instead of loading individual files, or all .lsp files, it will only load the .lsp when the command is invoked.

Point to your autoload .lsp from your acaddoc file:

acaddoc.JPG

autoload example.jpg