What program is best for presenting a land layout in a 3D animation?

ProTmzn

I'm currently using Autocad 2012 to design a land layout consisting of contour lines, roads, a restaurant, 2 parking lots, 4 little shops, a common area, and a walking path. The thing is, for the class I need to present my ideas in a better fashion than just looking at a 2D schematic from Autocad. I'm looking for the best program to use to easily construct walls for the shops, have car models in the parking lots, make the grass green, etc, and be able to almost create an animation walking through the site. How would you guys go about doing this? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

I'm still questioning civil 3D. I tried using that program, and it was very similar to AutoCAD. Would AutoCAD 2012 and 3D studio Max work? What does Civil3D provide for this task?

I'm still questioning civil 3D. I tried using that program, and it was very similar to AutoCAD. Would AutoCAD 2012 and 3D studio Max work? What does Civil3D provide for this task?

It is interesting to me that you feel that vanilla AutoCAD is better suited for this task in lieu of Civil 3D which is purposefully designed for many of the tasks you specify needing to do.

From a professional standpoint, here's what Civil 3D does inherently, and does so far more effectively than attempting to do the same in vanilla AutoCAD, from your initial post:

I'm currently using Autocad 2012 to design a land layout consisting of contour lines, roads (read corridors), a restaurant (read parcels), 2 parking lots, 4 little shops (read more parcels), a common area (yet another parcel), and a walking path (simply another corridor assembly). The thing is, for the class I need to present my ideas in a better fashion than just looking at a 2D schematic from Autocad. I'm looking for the best program to use to easily construct walls (also another assembly) for the shops, have car models in the parking lots (3DSMax, or both?), make the grass green (both via textures), etc, and be able to almost create an animation walking through the site (yet again, both, but 3DSMax is better IMO).

Maybe I am crazy...but couldn't all of ProTmzn's needs be met by Civil3d? Even the 'walk through'/flyby animation?

You're not crazy; Civil 3D can do this alone... Just not to the same (higher) quality.

I only mentioned 3DSMax, as we use that for formal, client, corporate presentations, etc..

So everything seems to be built into Civil 3D. I know there's a few computers with licensed 3DSMax, however, can this "walk through" be done in 3DSMax AND 3DSMax Design? What's the difference?