How compatible is Draftsight with AutoCad

Dana W

Hey dudes, chiming in with a question of my own. Don't wanna hijack, but since we're all awake anyway...

How compatible is Draftsight with AutoCad as far as file format. Do they transport seamlessly?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dana W

• f700es

• ReMark

• Roger B

I've never had any issues. Even with 3D objects from DraftSight.

Cool. Thanks a bunch. I be gonna try it. Suddenly I need some rudemenary or better 3D. OK, you can have the thread back now.

Hey dudes, chiming in with a question of my own. Don't wanna hijack, but since we're all awake anyway...

How compatible is Draftsight with AutoCad as far as file format. Do they transport seamlessly?

I drew a couple of curtain wall jobs with draftsight and sent them to clients that were using Autocad...they never knew the difference, and all of the standard details I have for the various products I work with popped in with no issues. Same with Bricscad.

I drew a couple of curtain wall jobs with draftsight and sent them to clients that were using Autocad...they never knew the difference' date=' and all of the standard details I have for the various products I work with popped in with no issues. Same with Bricscad.[/quote']

S'good to know. I have had some really mucked up things happen trying to get Sketchup stuff into AutoCad.

Me quiet, now. My Draftsight install is in progress.

S'good to know. I have had some really mucked up things happen trying to get Sketchup stuff into AutoCad.

Me quiet, now. My Draftsight install is in progress.

Well that is to be expected as SU is really a different animal from Acad. To use SU and Acad together is to understand the differences between the 2 and work with what they can do and not try to make it do what you want. As for using Acad images in SU I always only use the CAD file as a reference and always draw on top of it and then delete the CAD data after I am finished with it. Same as using SU generated dwgs. Depending on how I use it I can sometimes "clean" it up but most of the time it is reference use only.

Anyway, I used Draftsight for about a week and no issues with it either. I would get the this is not a "real" dwg warning sometimes but I could not find any issues once it was in.

Well that is to be expected as SU is really a different animal from Acad. To use SU and Acad together is to understand the differences between the 2 and work with what they can do and not try to make it do what you want. As for using Acad images in SU I always only use the CAD file as a reference and always draw on top of it and then delete the CAD data after I am finished with it. Same as using SU generated dwgs. Depending on how I use it I can sometimes "clean" it up but most of the time it is reference use only.

Anyway, I used Draftsight for about a week and no issues with it either. I would get the this is not a "real" dwg warning sometimes but I could not find any issues once it was in.

Yep, I guess I expected too much of google's statement that Sk'up was compatible with the dwg file format.

By the way, Draftsight was updated as of last month. The version is now V1R1.4.

Well to be honest it is a DWG file but just not AutoCAD's dwg file. ;)

Yeah I saw the e-mail come thru about the update but I haven't installed it yet. We all expect a full report ;)

Well to be honest it is a DWG file but just not AutoCAD's dwg file. ;)

Yeah I saw the e-mail come thru about the update but I haven't installed it yet. We all expect a full report ;)

Full report.

Install went off without a hiccup.

Looks like AutoCad 2006.

No annotation scales, no ribbons, but they ain't gonna be missed that much.

I can't compare V1R1.4 to anything cuz I never downloaded it before.

End of Full Report.:P

You'll get that warning with any Autodesk product when opening a dwg that created with the so called "clones". It's thier way of being snobbish, I think.

There will probably be a few compatibility issues. Some of the special features might not come through like Mleaders but that happens between older versions of Autocad. Watch for text formatting issues...just because a filename is the same doesn't necessarily mean its the same font, but you have that issue between other programs too. Just common sense stuff. You'll have more issues with coming from Autocad to the clone than the other way round. I don't see any of them being major issues however. As I said, I drew two sets of shop drawings using standard details that were drawn in an assortment of Autocad releases in Draftsight, and have done several in Bricscad and sent them to the clients with no complaints. The only complaint I've ever had was between Autocad 2010 and 2004. One of my clients is still back there, and that's where I found out about the mleader thing.

I know a lot of folks like sketchup. I've only used the free version, so the pro one might be better, but I don't like it at all, and from what i've read, sometimes it will import to autocad, sometimes it won't. There's some ad on you have get or something....no thanks. Theres enough of that nonsense in autocad with stp and iges files and what have you. Too big a hassle for me.

You'll get that warning with any Autodesk product when opening a dwg that created with the so called "clones". It's thier way of being snobbish' date=' I think. [/quote']

It is but what ever they need to do ;)

I know a lot of folks like sketchup. I've only used the free version, so the pro one might be better, but I don't like it at all, and from what i've read, sometimes it will import to autocad, sometimes it won't. There's some ad on you have get or something....no thanks. Theres enough of that nonsense in autocad with stp and iges files and what have you. Too big a hassle for me.

No real difference in the Pro and Free versions except the ability to export other 3D and CAD file formats (dwg, dxf, 3ds and so on).

Full report.

Install went off without a hiccup.

Looks like AutoCad 2006.

No annotation scales, no ribbons, but they ain't gonna be missed that much.

I can't compare V1R1.4 to anything cuz I never downloaded it before.

End of Full Report.:P

Yay. I've learned how to type View and then Top, Front, left, Right, etc. to get my CCS x, y, and z (ucs) thingy straight again. Progress indeed!

• 1 month later...

I've got DraftSight on my Ubuntu machine at home. Runs pretty smooth with Unity disabled. Perhaps I should load it onto my Vista laptop and play with it some more.

Dana, after using it for the past month, how would rate its 3D capabilities?

• 6 months later...

Has anyone had issues with notes created in DraftSight not being visible when viewed with AutoCAD? I have someone doing some work for me and he is using DraftSight. When I open his drawing usign AutoCAD LT 2011, I can see everything except the sheet notes which are multi-line text. Is there a solution to this? I downloaded DraftSight and can see the notes fine when I open the drawings using it but there are plotting issues when plotting to PDF so I would like to be able to plot from AutoCAD LT.

Thanks for your help.

Hmmm? Maybe something in the way he created the text. I'm pretty sure he copied it from and AutoCAD drawing and pasted it into DraftSight. Maybe that is the problem. I'll try what you did and see what happens.

Okay, I created a note in DraftSight and was able to see it in AutoCAD. I did have one other issue however. In DraftSight I clicked the button for numbered notes. I typed a couple of lines so that the text would wrap and everything looked fine while I was typing but when I clicked OK, the indent of the second and third lines was way too large. I was able to correct this in AutoCAD using the ruler bar at the top but didn't see a way to correct it in DraftSight. Anyone know how to do this.

I see what you mean by the "gap". Can't figure out how to adjust it either. Strange.

Yes, it can be adjusted manually line by line but I haven't figured out a way to do all lines at once. Still, even if I could it would be a pain to have to do each time a numbered list was created.

OK...think I figured it out. After adjusting one of the lines manually click on the OK button.

Now go and create a batch of multiline, numbered text. Did the gap close up some? It did for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

have a questions about blocks and fields .. does draftsight handle them?.. for blocks, full support like dynamic blocks are also working?

just instalt the free version and does things aren't working..

greetz John

I believe that Draftsight does support the use of Fields but does not have a feature similar to Dynamic Blocks. Consult the User Guide for further information.