Invalid File

macishan

Hi,

I have a .dwg file that I believe is corrupt, because when I try to open it in Autocad it says that it is invalid. Is there any way to recover this file?

Thanks

Try using the recover command. Also make sure that the file wasn't created with a newer version of Autocad than the one you have. If it was, you'll need to go to the Autodesk website and download Trueview. It's free, and you can convert the file to one your version can read.

I did try to recover the file and it said "Unable to recover drawing file". It was created with the same version of AutoCAD as the one I am using.

It may be lost then. Look for a .bak with the same name. Hopefully that will save you at least some time in recreating it. If you want, you can zip the file and post it here. I'll take a look at it when I get back home.

I tried opening each with AutoCad, and with Draftsight.

AutoCad told me both were invalid, and of course I have no recovery files for them.

Draftsight told me they needed recovery, and asked me if I wanted to procede. I clicked Yes. Both of them came up blank, even though the preview icon showed drawing objects in them.

Have you tried locating the .bak version of the file, change the file extention to .dwg, and then open that file?

Yes, I only seem to have the .bak file for the one titled "Twinkle.dwg". I tried to change the extion to .dwg but nothing showed up... I must have lost both files :(

I also noticed that the preview file showed the drawings which is why I had hope that I would be able to recover them.

Yes, I only seem to have the .bak file for the one titled "Twinkle.dwg". I tried to change the extion to .dwg but nothing showed up... I must have lost both files :(

I also noticed that the preview file showed the drawings which is why I had hope that I would be able to recover them.

Well, don't lose hope yet. If you still have that drawing that shows content in the preview icon, somebody might have a clue as to what to do.

In the meantime do a windows search on the file name and see if you have any temporary file versions of them. There may be a way to get something out of the Autosave temp files, but I don't know how myself.

Copy any temporary versions you find no matter what the file extention and save them in a folder where you can get them even after your temp folders are emptied if you have to shut down or something.

Did someone delete the post with the files?

At any rate, the preview icon won't help. It's simply a bmp file that is essentially a screen shot of the drawing the last time it was saved.

Yes I got it to work in my Temp files. Thank you for all your help!

Good to hear, indeed. I had that happen to me at a past job about 3 years ago. I had to spend a week re-drawing the thing. The hardest part was never really being able to convince my knee jerking boss that I didn't just erase the drawing.

Don't forget to save it back to your drawing folder.

Did someone delete the post with the files?

At any rate' date=' the preview icon won't help. It's simply a bmp file that is essentially a screen shot of the drawing the last time it was saved.[/quote']

Dunno were went the dwgs.

Yeah, the icon is only a cached picture, but I was just trying to tell OP to hold onto those copies.

Speaking of icons, Daisy made me change my avatar. She heard about the missidentification as a horse, and is on the lookout for those who might persist in it.