subtracting

Emily

I am in the 3d modeling view, and have extruded closed polylines. when i go to subtract the object inside the other it won't subtract the command says

failure in face-face intersection merging algorithm>

I don't know how to fix it. any help at all would be appreciated.

Welcome to CadTutor.

Assuming the all of the objects in the operation are solids, you may try "Check" on the Solid Editing tab to see if AutoCAD can confirm them as valid solids.

Can you post the drawing?

unfortunately I am doing this project for a friend who still has a pending patent on it, so i cannot post the Dwg. I tried checking it, and got it says its a 3d object but its not acting like it. i was wondering if i could somehow reconvert it to a surface or a solid, but i have no idea how.

I got an warning that the drawing was not created in an Autodesk application, so I'm guessing AutoCAD is having trouble interpreting some of the geometry (ie the underlying spline) I exploded the solid into regions, then again into the splines, and zooming in reveals some inconsistencies, including a "loop" at the top of the object. I didn't have any luck modifying and extruding the splines... I still got an invalid solid, but using PEDIT to convert the splines to Polylines works, albeit not as smooth as a spline.

Edited by nestly

If you increase your scrolls extrusion height or reduce the plate height so the scroll passes completely through your subtracting object. It will work fine.

subtraction.jpg

KC

• 2 years later...

Hey Guys,

I too am having the same problem with not being able to subtract / getting the same error. Have attached my file. Just wanting to remove the centres of the letters. Letter vector text was created using Adobe Illustrators export to DXF function so is probably the cause of the problem.

Have tried making letter outline thin with inner tall which passes al the way thru but to no avail. (as per kencazs suggestion - although I downloaded the above file - 45.dwg -

Please help!

Thanks in advance

lancewood.dxf