Excel Table - Text Disappears for Second User

North9ON

We have Map 2011 and I created a drawing with several tables pasted from Excel. Also, we are currently restricting our file format to AutoCAD 2010.

The tables pasted from Excel initially worked great and I was able to perform several edits and plots without any problems. That is, until another user opened the drawing.

At that point, the table lines were still present but the text was missing.

Also, I see the text when I open the drawing but I find that I can only edit the text using find/replace. Double-clicking does not open the text for editing.

Is there a fix for this besides exploding the tables?

Thanks.

Brian.

Edited by North9ON
Refined the explanation

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• North9ON

• eldon

• SLW210

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't tried anything yet besides editing the tables and saving the drawing again. This is just one drawing so far.

I don't see any option for uploading a dwg file.

Are there not machine specific paths for the inserted tables? If someone else opens the drawing, these paths might be altered. Then you would have to re-establish the link path.

You may want to check on the version of Excel you are using to the version of Excel your co-worker is using. Is your file saved as a .xls or .xlsx?

Only reason I say that is it may differ in results if you or your co-worker open the files in different formats or versions of Excel(2007, 2010, etc.).

I have AutoTable loaded on my computer and it works well, regardless of the version.

Here's the link if you want to find out more - Good luck.

http://www.cadig.com/products/index.php

One thing I was wondering is if the upgrade to AutoCAD Map 2012 might solve the problem. I understand the support for Excel has improved from 2011 to 2012.

• 10 months later...

It does not sound like you verified that the path to the Excel files is the same for the second user as it is for you. You're both working off of a network server right?

Where would I find the path that AutoCAD is using to locate the tables?

If you open the drawing, is the table text missing for you too?

No Excel files included with your drawing from what I can see here.

Does your co-worker have access to the same network drive and folder that you do? Yes or no? We're talking about the one where the Excel file(s) reside.

Did you scan the spreadsheet and insert as a PDF?

You do know that AutoCAD was given the ability back in the 2008 version to create a Datalink between AutoCAD and Excel right?

Unfortunately, I don't think I can give you a yes or no answer.

When I originally did the drawing, I copied the table data from a temporary Excel file and pasted it into the drawing. I didn't intend to link the Excel file to the drawing because I was doing a one-time migration of the Excel data to an AutoCAD table to save manual copying. The other user probably doesn't have access to the original Excel file.

I have not kept track of the location of the Excel file because I did not intent to maintain a link to it.

Is AutoCAD somehow making reference to the Excel file anyway when I open the drawing? If so, where does AutoCAD maintain the link reference?

The drawing itself is on a SharePoint server. The other user can open the drawing from the server just like I can and see everything - except the text in the table. The file I attached to the forum post was created from the drawing on the SharePoint server using AutoCAD's File>Save As.

I think my reference to a pathing glitch was probably a red herring :oops:

I downloaded your file and opened it in Dwg TrueView. There were tables with text - nothing obviously missing. When I tried to list the table, I could not pick it, but could select it by windowing. Something is not quite right. Have you tried to run Audit?

Further, I converted it (in Dwg Trueview) to version 2004, which could see tables, but on trying to open the drawing, I got error messages and AutoCAD shut down. Something is not quite right. Have you tried to run Audit?