"Coordinate dimensions"

Tesjay

1. In autocad 8, how could I get the XYZ coodinates of a point, on the drawing. With ID or list command it is possible to get the coordinates of a point, but they would not appear on the drawing the way dimensions do.

If you create an Mtext. and insert a field in the right click menu to specify the object and location it will display the coordinates, per SLW210's suggestion.

You probably want to set a DDPTYPE for you point first, so you can see it, as I have.

set a DDPTYPE first.JPG

I am clueless as regards northing and easting, but if you assign geographic values to your drawing you could get it to display longitude and lattitude.

I made a simple Mtext, and couldn't get it to display better than this, but with a multiline text you could.

theoretically.JPG

Many state plane coordinate systems utilize northings and eastings not latitude and longitude. I was just curious. In my job I seldom encounter these types of situations and if I do I use a custom lisp routine that adds the "N" and the "E" designations to the front of the coordinate.

Once you get into Mtext with fields, don't be too greedy and get the position x, y and z all in one go. Format as desired. These are based on the Insertion Point (Top Left)

CoordsInMtext.jpg

Many state plane coordinate systems utilize northings and eastings not latitude and longitude. I was just curious. In my job I seldom encounter these types of situations and if I do I use a custom lisp routine that adds the "N" and the "E" designations to the front of the coordinate.

How about creating a block to display it and insert the blocks where you need the text/labels. :)

http://www.lazydrafter.com/autocad-tips/create-a-northing-easting-block-with-fields

Once you get into Mtext with fields, don't be too greedy and get the position x, y and z all in one go. Format as desired. These are based on the Insertion Point (Top Left)

......couldn't get it to display better than this, but with a multiline text you could.

That's more to the point Eldon, nicely done.

The first one I did was directed to the OP's inquiry, this plays beautifully to the Northing & Easting question. :beer: