View port won't show objects

pimpdad

I have got a large drawing with multiple viewports and some layers that are shown in model space won't show when I access model space from paper space (through the viewport). I have had a look at the layer manager through the viewport and everything is switched on, there is no viewport freeze activated but still I can't see the lines in the viewport in paper space (either in model or paperthrough the template).

Anybody got any ideas?

If it is just certain layers (and not entire viewports) that aren't displaying there aren't many options to consider. Layers can be off, frozen or frozen in certain viewports.

Have you tried closing the drawing down and reopening it? Maybe it is a momentary glitch.

If you have designated and saved nonstandard views in your views manager, those usually have layer properties saved in them. If you check on your view manager you could turn off those saved layer visibility settings (VIEW LAYER SNAPSHOT) in any particular view where you are having this problem.

Or you can use the UPDATE button to change the layer visibility to your current settings.

view manager visibility option.JPG

Also, a layer's colour might be set or overwritten in the VP - perhaps to something which is difficult to see on the ps tab (e.g. yellow on white). In the layer manager scroll to the right to see VP overrides. Or you could change the PS background. Or set the PS tab to display as plotted.

I had the same problem with some General Notes saved as a block.

When originally entered, the notes were entered on 0 layer, which I did not notice.

Of course when inserted in model space they would not show up in layout space

I started over with a new drawing created a new visible layer and reentered the notes.

Then saved the new notes as a block.

Just had another idea: You don't state what type of objects are on these "invisible" layers. If they're annotative objects (e.g. text, dim, block, etc.) they might be set to a scale other than the VP's scale - and thus they won't show. You can override this with the AnnoAllVisible variable, but that's actually going about it the wrong way. The AnnoAllVisible is usually turned on for the Model tab, but off for PS tabs (as it should be).

Sorry if this is not the case, it would be a lot simpler if we could see the problem drawing.

• 1 year later...
I have got a large drawing with multiple viewports and some layers that are shown in model space won't show when I access model space from paper space (through the viewport). I have had a look at the layer manager through the viewport and everything is switched on, there is no viewport freeze activated but still I can't see the lines in the viewport in paper space (either in model or paperthrough the template).

Anybody got any ideas?

pl. try to save the drawing , it will appear on the layout, or ensure the layout is on.

• 11 months later...

Type in and change VISRETAIN (0). Draw a new Viewport. Do a match properties, select the new Viewport first, then select the existing Viewport. Your objects should appear. If applicable, reload xrefs. And on your existing Viewport, change your scale back to the original setting. Change VISRETAIN back to (1). Save your work.