Very frustrated with trying to save a dwg as a dxf.

Treehugger

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Treehugger

• Jack_O'neill

• eldon

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If google can't find it, it don't exist. That's how I found the other one. apparently those are custom linetypes or something besides just fonts. I have my system set to substitute simplex.shx for any missing fonts, but it couldn't sub for markers.shx.

As it happened, I as also missing these fonts (clipped from the command line):

Opening an AutoCAD 2010 format file.

Substituting [simplex.shx] for [c:\acadr13\com\FONTS\ARCHQUIK.shx].

Substituting [simplex.shx] for [C:\Program Files\AutoCAD

R14\FONTS\Archquik.shx].

Substituting [simplex.shx] for [Gill Sans MT].

Substituting [simplex.shx] for [ARCHQUIK.SHX].

I don't know if it's the same thing or not, but did find a link to a file that our very own Tannar Frampton had put up on this very site that as one called "marker.shx" I would have no way to know if it's the same thing or not, but if someone else does, you could always use that one and rename it as "markers. shx". If it were my project, I'd get hold of who ever sent you the original drawing and ask them for it just to be sure.

This file could solve a lot of shape file problems: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?39712-762-SHX-AutoCAD-Fonts

It opened for me on 2010.

I still can't open the first one that we talked about before, but the second worked ok. Dunno what's up with that.

Thank you all for your assistance, especially you Jack.

I will go back to the architect and request the missing file as this will be the easiest solution.

Thanks

Now that we have managed to save the first drawing to DXF. I cannot upload it to pocket GIS until everything is exploded.

Can anyone tell me how to achieve this please?

Now that we have managed to save the first drawing to DXF. I cannot upload it to pocket GIS until all objects are exploded.

Can anyone tell me how to achieve this please?

I have tried selecting everything in the drawing and clicking explode and this is what I get:

Opening a Release 12 DXF file.

Regenerating model.

AutoCAD menu utilities loaded.

Command: COMMANDLINE

Command: DRAWINGRECOVERY

Command:

Command:

Command: _ai_selall Selecting objects...done.

Command:

Command:

Command: _explode 20647 found

20647 were not able to be exploded.

What 'types' of objects were selected (as listed by ACAD properties)? Were they all lines, text, etc. ('simple' objects)? or were there some other, more complex objects (dynamic blocks, MTEXT)? What are the specs that the pocket GIS is looking for?

You are quite welcome Treehugger, happy to help.

I saw your other thread, and I don't know what to do about that problem. I don't know anything about that Pocket GIS thing or why it can't use the dxf you created.

Hi bill

Here is a copy of the drawing. All I know is that the drawing has to be a R12 DXF with all objects exploded in order for it to load in the Pocket GIS package.

Try this file. I took your file and used a lisp on it to delete the reference to the Geocomp.shx file.

Or possibly you could copy the Geocomp.shx file to the PocketGIS.

Edited by eldon
deleted large file

I can't imagine what you are trying to do, because that file contained entities only - lines, circles, arcs and text. There was nothing left to explode :shock:

Looking more closely at the drawing, there are some features which I think are unusual.

For example, the contour lines are made up of individual lines 0.3 long :shock:

Look at the tree canopies. They are polylines made up of very short lengths.

There are 20779 entities in the drawing. My survey drawings are much less. Perhaps your pocket machine is being overloaded. I think you will have to contact the Pocket people, give them your file and see how they would do it, and then let us all know.

I spoke to the resellers of Pocket GIS and sent them a copy of the drawing.

They used a free CAD package to open the drawing, explode all the objects and save as a R12 dxf file. They were then able to load it.

I asked them to send me the file to see if I could do it. It uploaded fine to my own Pocket GIS package. So out of curiosity I opened it in AutoCAD 2010 and then did a SAVE AS and renamed the file and chose AUTOCAD R12/L2 DXF from the "files of type" drop down box. I noticed that the file size had increased from around 3MB to 5MB! The file would not load to Pocket GIS. So it would appear that it is AutoCAD that is creating the problem.

Any ideas?

This is a follow up thread to: Very frustrated with trying to save a dwg as a dxf.

AutoCAD appears to be corrupting the file somehow

I spoke to the resellers of Pocket GIS and sent them a copy of the drawing.

They used a free CAD package to open the drawing, explode all the objects and save as a R12 dxf file. They were then able to load it.

I asked them to send me the file to see if I could do it. It uploaded fine to my own Pocket GIS package. So out of curiosity I opened it in AutoCAD 2010 and then did a SAVE AS and renamed the file and chose AUTOCAD R12/L2 DXF from the "files of type" drop down box. I noticed that the file size had increased from around 3MB to 5MB! The file would not load to Pocket GIS. So it would appear that it is AutoCAD that is creating the problem.

Any ideas?

The GIS package I am trying to load the file into cannot handle objects so they have to be exploded. It would appear that AutoCAD will not allow me to explode the tree canopies and text in the drawing. Is there any way around this?