+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    Forum Deity
    Using
    AutoCAD 2002

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Perhaps an alternative would be to discover exactly why your attempts to create a DXF file from your own AutoCAD went awry. How adept are you with AutoCAD

P.S. pretty please do not start any more threads. I am getting quite confused as some answers are not to the latest Update of the latest Update. The whole thread could just as successfully been all in one, and the way the forum is set up, the latest replies are easily arrived at.

Computer Details
    SLW210's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 PRO 64-bit
    Computer:
    IBM Lenovo
    Motherboard:
    ACPI x64
    CPU:
    Pentium(R) i5 4570 @ 3.2GHz
    RAM:
    8 GB RAM
    Graphics:
    Nvidia Quadro 600 1GB
    Primary Storage:
    300 GB
    Secondary Storage:
    650GB
    Monitor:
    2x ThinkVision 24"
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    SLW210's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Design Draftsman
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    Details
    Mostly do drafting related to manufacturing. From doing site layouts with proposed updates, additions and renovations to be budgeted and submitted for bid, to updating and changing existing drawings to reflect maintenance and repair/revision work done on site.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

I merged all your threads into this one.
    “A narrow mind and a fat head invariably come on the same person” Zig Zigler

Using
    AutoCAD 2007

Murph
    No I suppose that I don't really need the clients plans in the map. Its purely a security blanket for me as I like to be able to see if the tree positions surveyed on site appear in the correct place.
    To be honest my problem is that I don't know how to merge the survey data with the clients drawing. Unless the client's drawing is already aligned to the National Grid - won't my tree positions be way out? Also I often get drawings from clients that are not oriented to the North (often because they want the site plan to fit a certain size of paper). Any advice and assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

eldon - yes you are correct here! I tried downloading DraftSight and changing my drawing to a R12 DXF. When loading the file I get asked for LTypeshp.shx if I opt for cancel and save the drawing as an R12 DXF, PocketGIS is still unable to recognise the file.
    Sorry for the threads thing - I obviously need to study forum etiquette!

SLW210 - Thanks for merging and sorry.

Everyone - Thank you for your patience and assistance thus far.

Forum Deity
    Using
    AutoCAD 2002

I expect that you cheer when the drawing is set to OS grid. Your posted drawing seems to be SE of Inverness.

When drawings are not aligned to OS but to paper, you will have to take readings to features which appear on the ground, and then in the office, you can align their drawing to your measured features - a simple procedure.

Now, have you tried, in your AutoCAD, to explode everything? You may have to do the Explode more than once to get it in a format suitable for PocketGIS. Then when you make the DXF file, try to use the Option to select Objects, rather than to do an overall DXF, which may pick up various inedible drawing set-up factors.

Computer Details
    Murph_map's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Win 7, Win 8
    Computer:
    HP something or other and the laptop is an HP too
    RAM:
    2 gigs or 6 gigs in Laptop
    Discipline
    Utilities
    Murph_map's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Boats and campers renting and repairs
    Discipline
    Utilities
    Details
    GIS and Map making.
    Using
    Map 3D 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Treehugger View Post
    Murph
    No I suppose that I don't really need the clients plans in the map. Its purely a security blanket for me as I like to be able to see if the tree positions surveyed on site appear in the correct place.
    To be honest my problem is that I don't know how to merge the survey data with the clients drawing. Unless the client's drawing is already aligned to the National Grid - won't my tree positions be way out? Also I often get drawings from clients that are not oriented to the North (often because they want the site plan to fit a certain size of paper). Any advice and assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.
    This is were using a Civil application pays off, if plan on do very much of this type of work you need to plan on paying for Civil3D or MAP3D or you'll pay with the headaches and lost clients.
    Now to help solve your issue with out DXFing that you can not get to work. When you're out there getting the trees also get 2 or three points that are on the dwg that you can later ID when you get back in the office. Points like the property corners or edges/centerline of the road, or anything that may be in the site plan. Then when you bring in the points move/rotate/align/scale the site plan to match. Then you should be able to save the points info from the GPS/survey to text format and use the X,Y, location to plot the points in the dwg.
    Murph

Need a boat or camper for the weekend?

Using
    AutoCAD 2007

Quote Originally Posted by eldon View Post
    Then when you make the DXF file, try to use the Option to select Objects, rather than to do an overall DXF, which may pick up various inedible drawing set-up factors.
    How do I do this please?

Using
    AutoCAD 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Murph_map View Post
    This is were using a Civil application pays off, if plan on do very much of this type of work you need to plan on paying for Civil3D or MAP3D or you'll pay with the headaches and lost clients.
    What do these applications do that AutoCAD Doesn't?
    Can they be used as standalone applications or do they require AutoCAD to function?

Forum Deity
    Using
    AutoCAD 2002

How do I do this please?
    When you hit the SaveAS button and a dialogue box comes up. (I have an earlier version than you, so perhaps the picture isn't exact). At the bottom you select Files of type - AutoCAD R12 DXF. At the top of the box at the right hand end is Tools. Select that and choose Options (at the bottom of the list). Then select DXF Options and select the "Select objects". Then press OK and you will be invited to select objects. Window the whole drawing, and there you are
    Attached Images

Computer Details
    Murph_map's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Win 7, Win 8
    Computer:
    HP something or other and the laptop is an HP too
    RAM:
    2 gigs or 6 gigs in Laptop
    Discipline
    Utilities
    Murph_map's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Boats and campers renting and repairs
    Discipline
    Utilities
    Details
    GIS and Map making.
    Using
    Map 3D 2016

What do these applications do that AutoCAD Doesn't?
    Can they be used as standalone applications or do they require AutoCAD to function?
    They allow you for one to use a coordinate system NAD83 (Lat/Lon) or State Plane or create your own to use. They also allow you to work most survey units out there, pick in points from the survey unit and draw them for you in the dwg. They make better use of aerial images and Google Earth, work with a number of GIS format files out there for free. Depending on what part of the world you're working in there's ton of free stuff out there for mapping and locating features in the real world.
    AutoCAD Civil 3D is build on top of AutoCAD Map3D which is build on top of AutoCAD so with Civil 3D you have 3 programs in one, autocad, Map3D a GIS program and Civil3D a civil design program.
    Murph

Need a boat or camper for the weekend?

Using
    AutoCAD 2006

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

has anyone found a solution to this error? my office mate is having the same error message. Shes trying to save a drawing made from Autocad Map 3d to Autocad 2011.