Which is best???

Greendamo

Hi im a AutoCad user and have been for many years 3D and 2D. I want to make the move in to a more modern 3D software but im stuck between 2 choices, Inventor or Solidworks! Which is going to benefit me more and kinda more future proof?

I work in the woodwork industry.

Thanks

Damian

I will make a bet; those that started with and use Solid Works will recommend Solid Works. Those that started with and use Inventor will recommend Inventor. :wink:

I will recommend Inventor simply because if you are used to AutoCAD, you will recognize the structure of Inventor. That said, I started with Inventor and have never seen more than demos of Solid Work.

See, I won my bet! :D

Inventor, reason: *see above* :) Also, I like to go with the Autodesk 'version' of a package everytime, just because certain symbols/icons etc are the same so it makes it easier to learn. Sounds lazy, it probably is.

The bonus is that if you get AutoCAD free when you buy Inventor. The last time I had to purchase it for a company was Inv2009 (I think) and that was the case anyways.

Thanks! I also kinda think that Inventor is the way to go, mainly because of the look of inventor looks similar and the commands are the same, or some of them.

my local collage only does classes in solidworks though so it makes me think.. is this going to be the industry standard in a few years???

That said, I hope not because im a great lover of Autodesk! no:

My personal opinion is that the DWG-format will be the industry standard (depending on the industry ofc) for many more years to come.

Which of Inventor or Solid Works will be strongest in the future - I think we can mind as well speculate about the weather.

Autodesk is a very strong player in the field, but as always with big dogs in the arena - there will always be smaller dogs waiting to bite them in the... foot :)

Go to any one of the major web-based job posting sites and search for positions that require knowledge of Inventor versus those that require knowledge of SolidWorks and compare the two. Or...learn both. That way you should never be out of a job.

Not a huge difference between Inventor, Solidworks, Solid Edge and Pro E (now CREO). I have used all four in the past. Most companies would only be concerned if you have experience with any of the four, no matter which they use.

I believe the latest was Inventor then Solidworks in order of popularity.

Edited by SLW210

I think Inventor has more compatibility with AutoCAD. If I were to choose either, I would choose Inventor, and that's coming from someone who's never used either program.

Of the job postings I have looked at over the past year I have seen many asking for Solidworks experience and not one looking for Inventor experience (and very few looking for AutoCAD, btw). Certainly not scientific by any means, just an observation.

Thanks ppl

You're most welcome, be sure to let us know which you go for.

Should you go for Inventor I can send you some training materials I have (as .pdf files).

Thanks Santo.

I am going to go with Inventor (Staying loyal to Autodesk!)

Oh and yes please send me the training material you have it will be very helpful thanks:thumbsup:

I've self-taught both SolidWorks and Inventor.

I burned my Inventor disc at home. The only reason I don't burn the one at work is because it's not mine to burn.

For me, SolidWorks was leaps and bounds above Inventor.

--BUT--

I learned SolidWorks first. :)

Yeah I'm with Lee Roy on this one. I found Inventor VERY cumbersome and a productivity killer. Solidworks was easier to use and the rendering is photo real. The analysis programs it can be used with besides it's own flow motion control and FEA was also unbeatable. Using it with TEDS and ANSYS was a snap, unlike Inventor. There are way more jobs here in Australia for Solidworks and very few for Inventor. Just my 2 cents...