beernuts's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Structural Drafting Techician
    Discipline
    Structural
    Using
    AutoCAD 2011

Default Layer Properties Manager glitch

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Hey everyone,
    I'm having a problem with my Layer Properties Manager that I didn't have a problem with before. For some reason, when i'm in paper space with a viewport open/active, I can change my VP linetype, but not my VP color.

My job makes extensive use of external references and i use the VP color and linetype override to manipulate the appearance of the drawing, but for some reason in the last month the VP color won't change. Is there a setting somewhere that got turned off?

Any help would be grateful.

Beernuts

Forum Deity
    Computer Details
    nestly's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro (64bit)
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

Check VPLAYEROVERRIDESMODE ... however it that was it, the other overrides, such as linetype should be suppressed as well.

Discipline
    Structural
    Occupation
    Discipline
    Structural
    Using
    AutoCAD 2011

Hm.. I just tried that and it only effected the display of the override, however you could still make the change in the Layer Properties Manager, it just won't change the display to reflect the override.

For some reason when I am in the Layer Properties Manager when I try and select a different color from the color window and hit ok and the color window closes it doesn't make the selected change, like the selection was completely ignored.

Computer Details
    rickh's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    W7 x64
    RAM:
    8G
    Graphics:
    1G
    Discipline
    Structural
    rickh's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Designer
    Discipline
    Structural
    Using
    Civil 3D 2011

Are you saying the vp color in the layer manager won't change, or just that the objects in the drawing do not apply the vp color chosen?

If layer manager is displaying/working as normal, but just the objects won't change color in the viewport, check the object properties to ensure the colors are set to "by layer". If it is an xref, you'll need to check them in the xref file.

If it's the layer manager that is not working right, could you post the drawing?

Discipline
    Structural
    Occupation
    Discipline
    Structural
    Using
    AutoCAD 2011

31590s-scbrdg.dwg

pier.dwg is what i'm working in that is having the problems, the 31590s-scbrdg.dwg is my external reference. While you are in the layer manager and you try and change the selected VP color, you get the color selection window pop up. I change my color from green to red. I hit ok, the window closes so i only see the layer manager, but the color stayed green instead of the selected red.
    Attached Files

Computer Details
    SLW210's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 PRO
    Computer:
    IBM Lenovo
    Motherboard:
    ACPI x86
    CPU:
    Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5500 @ 2.80GHz
    RAM:
    4 GB RAM
    Graphics:
    Nvidia Quadro 600 1GB
    Primary Storage:
    300 GB
    Secondary Storage:
    650GB
    Monitor:
    ThinkVision 24"
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    SLW210's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Design Draftsman
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    Details
    Mostly do drafting related to manufacturing. From doing site layouts with proposed updates, additions and renovations to be budgeted and submitted for bid, to updating and changing existing drawings to reflect maintenance and repair/revision work done on site.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2011

What object are you trying to change the color? If it is the Green "TEXT", well that is a block reference, you will need to explode it or change the color or place on layer "0" in the block editor.
    “A narrow mind and a fat head invariably come on the same person” Zig Zigler

Forum Deity
    Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro (64bit)
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

Yeah, if you assign property overrides to objects inside blocks, that's what you're stuck with regardless of layer settings. If however they are on Layer 0 and "ByLayer, then they inherit the properties of the layer the block is on.

Also, VP overrides apply to Viewports, but they also apply to Paperspace layouts independently.

Try activating the viewport (make it current) before applying the VP override in the Layer Manager.

Computer Details
    rickh's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    W7 x64
    RAM:
    8G
    Graphics:
    1G
    Discipline
    Structural
    rickh's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Designer
    Discipline
    Structural
    Using
    Civil 3D 2011

Just to add to others....you can keep that block, but use layers inside the block so you can still have bylayer properties.

ie. (trying to follow your layer names somewhat) inside the block - put the title on layer Z-ANNO-TTL, with the scale on layer Z-ANNO-SCALE, and bring in the whole block on layer Z-ANNO-TTLB. With everything bylayer you can control the properties in layer manager. You can then have multiple colors in the block that you can override....you just have to know the layers are there - overriding Z-ANNO-TTLB would have no effect using this method, but it would control the on/off freeze/thaw of the block. (works the same as an xref really).

Other than that block, everything else applied the overrides just fine for me.

Discipline
    Structural
    Occupation
    Discipline
    Structural
    Using
    AutoCAD 2011

K, everything in my external reference (31590s-scbrdg.dwg) is bylayer, and there are no blocks.

rickh
    ie. (trying to follow your layer names somewhat) inside the block - put the title on layer Z-ANNO-TTL, with the scale on layer Z-ANNO-SCALE, and bring in the whole block on layer Z-ANNO-TTLB. With everything bylayer you can control the properties in layer manager. You can then have multiple colors in the block that you can override....you just have to know the layers are there - overriding Z-ANNO-TTLB would have no effect using this method, but it would control the on/off freeze/thaw of the block. (works the same as an xref really).
    The layers starting in 'Z' are for titleblock information and never has its layers manipulated the way I am atempting to do now.

nestly
    If however they are on Layer 0 and "ByLayer, then they inherit the properties of the layer the block is on.

Also, VP overrides apply to Viewports, but they also apply to Paperspace layouts independently.

Try activating the viewport (make it current) before applying the VP override in the Layer Manager
    You and I are on the same page, I don't think I did a suffient job of explaining my situtation clearly enough I'm hoping the explaination below makes more sense.

Now working in the pier.dwg, in paperspace, I access my viewport. While in the active viewport, i should be able to change the VP Colors and VP Linetypes in the layer manager. Specifically, i'm trying to change the xref layer "31590s-scbrdg|s-conc-pier" from color 152 and change it to 9 (ie, when i go into model space the layer will be color 152, where as when you look at it in paperspace it appears 9). Now while in the layer manager and while working in that veiwport, i can change the VP Linetype from continous to Hidden2, but I can not change VP color from 152 to 9. You'll notice that in this viewport, the layer "31590s-scbrdg|s-conc-pier" Linetype is continous but the VP Linetype is Hidden2.

Now I want to change the color on this layer so that the layer stays 152, but make the VP Color 9. Now when I do this and click on the VP Color (which is currently the same as the Color) and the color selection window appears i change the Index Color from 152 to 9, when I click ok, the window closes but the selection didn't take and i'm left with the 152 color even though i selected 9 and it was ok'd.

I'm hoping I have laid out this problem clearly.

I've been able to do this simple appearance change many times before but for some reason in this drawing I can't and it has me baffled.

Forum Deity
    Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro (64bit)
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Yeah, it sounds like you're changing the VP color while Paperspace is active, rather than when the Modelspace Viewport is active.

It will take a little while to process a HQ version, but here's a video... watch it in full screen

Last edited by nestly; 22nd Feb 2012 at 12:20 am.