Layer Properties Manager glitch

beernuts

Hey everyone,

I'm having a problem with my Layer Properties Manager that I didn't have a problem with before. For some reason, when i'm in paper space with a viewport open/active, I can change my VP linetype, but not my VP color. :?

My job makes extensive use of external references and i use the VP color and linetype override to manipulate the appearance of the drawing, but for some reason in the last month the VP color won't change. Is there a setting somewhere that got turned off? :unsure:

Any help would be grateful.

Beernuts

Hm.. I just tried that and it only effected the display of the override, however you could still make the change in the Layer Properties Manager, it just won't change the display to reflect the override.

For some reason when I am in the Layer Properties Manager when I try and select a different color from the color window and hit ok and the color window closes it doesn't make the selected change, like the selection was completely ignored.

Are you saying the vp color in the layer manager won't change, or just that the objects in the drawing do not apply the vp color chosen?

If layer manager is displaying/working as normal, but just the objects won't change color in the viewport, check the object properties to ensure the colors are set to "by layer". If it is an xref, you'll need to check them in the xref file.

If it's the layer manager that is not working right, could you post the drawing?

31590s-scbrdg.dwg

pier.dwg is what i'm working in that is having the problems, the 31590s-scbrdg.dwg is my external reference. While you are in the layer manager and you try and change the selected VP color, you get the color selection window pop up. I change my color from green to red. I hit ok, the window closes so i only see the layer manager, but the color stayed green instead of the selected red. :?

pier.dwg

What object are you trying to change the color? If it is the Green "TEXT", well that is a block reference, you will need to explode it or change the color or place on layer "0" in the block editor.

Yeah, if you assign property overrides to objects inside blocks, that's what you're stuck with regardless of layer settings. If however they are on Layer 0 and "ByLayer, then they inherit the properties of the layer the block is on.

Also, VP overrides apply to Viewports, but they also apply to Paperspace layouts independently.

Try activating the viewport (make it current) before applying the VP override in the Layer Manager.

Just to add to others....you can keep that block, but use layers inside the block so you can still have bylayer properties.

ie. (trying to follow your layer names somewhat) inside the block - put the title on layer Z-ANNO-TTL, with the scale on layer Z-ANNO-SCALE, and bring in the whole block on layer Z-ANNO-TTLB. With everything bylayer you can control the properties in layer manager. You can then have multiple colors in the block that you can override....you just have to know the layers are there - overriding Z-ANNO-TTLB would have no effect using this method, but it would control the on/off freeze/thaw of the block. (works the same as an xref really).

Other than that block, everything else applied the overrides just fine for me.

K, everything in my external reference (31590s-scbrdg.dwg) is bylayer, and there are no blocks.

rickh

ie. (trying to follow your layer names somewhat) inside the block - put the title on layer Z-ANNO-TTL, with the scale on layer Z-ANNO-SCALE, and bring in the whole block on layer Z-ANNO-TTLB. With everything bylayer you can control the properties in layer manager. You can then have multiple colors in the block that you can override....you just have to know the layers are there - overriding Z-ANNO-TTLB would have no effect using this method, but it would control the on/off freeze/thaw of the block. (works the same as an xref really).
The layers starting in 'Z' are for titleblock information and never has its layers manipulated the way I am atempting to do now.

nestly

If however they are on Layer 0 and "ByLayer, then they inherit the properties of the layer the block is on.

Also, VP overrides apply to Viewports, but they also apply to Paperspace layouts independently.

Try activating the viewport (make it current) before applying the VP override in the Layer Manager

You and I are on the same page, I don't think I did a suffient job of explaining my situtation clearly enough I'm hoping the explaination below makes more sense.

Now working in the pier.dwg, in paperspace, I access my viewport. While in the active viewport, i should be able to change the VP Colors and VP Linetypes in the layer manager. Specifically, i'm trying to change the xref layer "31590s-scbrdg|s-conc-pier" from color 152 and change it to 9 (ie, when i go into model space the layer will be color 152, where as when you look at it in paperspace it appears 9). Now while in the layer manager and while working in that veiwport, i can change the VP Linetype from continous to Hidden2, but I can not change VP color from 152 to 9. You'll notice that in this viewport, the layer "31590s-scbrdg|s-conc-pier" Linetype is continous but the VP Linetype is Hidden2.

Now I want to change the color on this layer so that the layer stays 152, but make the VP Color 9. Now when I do this and click on the VP Color (which is currently the same as the Color) and the color selection window appears i change the Index Color from 152 to 9, when I click ok, the window closes but the selection didn't take and i'm left with the 152 color even though i selected 9 and it was ok'd.

I'm hoping I have laid out this problem clearly.

I've been able to do this simple appearance change many times before but for some reason in this drawing I can't and it has me baffled.

Yeah, it sounds like you're changing the VP color while Paperspace is active, rather than when the Modelspace Viewport is active.

It will take a little while to process a HQ version, but here's a video... watch it in full screen

Edited by nestly

Hmmm, that reminds me of an issue when Layer0 or Defpoints is off, or locked, or frozen or something like that. There's nothing like that in the Pier drawing as far as I can tell, but in the Xref drawing Layer0 and Defpoints both have non-default colors. Perhaps try changing both of those back to "white"

• 11 months later...

We got new W7-x64 machines last month.

We are using the same setup and settings that we had on our old XP-x86 machines.

I tried the layer override on my old XP-x86 machine and it works, but not on the W7-x64 machine.

Both machines have the same version of AutoCAD G.114.0.0 AutoCAD 2013 SP1.1.

The layer overrides do not work on any of the W7-x64 machines that we’ve tried it on.

I suspect it’s something to do with either W7 or x64.

On the XP machines, every vp override works.

On the W7 machines, only the Linetype override works, Color, Lineweight and Transparency do not. We don’t use plotstyles, and they are greyed out on both machines, so I can’t test that.