Having a problem with mouse pointer

Charlie M

I recently deactivated my AutoCAD 2008 program from my old computer running XP and reinstalled on a new computer running Windows 7 Pro. The Windows 7 is a 64-bit environment so in order to use the 32-bit AutoCAD 2008 I downloaded Windows Virtual PC and I am running the AutoCAD program in Windows XP Mode.

Instead of just seeing the normal cross-hair I am also seeing the windows mouse pointer in both model space and paper space.

Does anyone have any suggestions for eliminating the pointer and only displaying the cross-hair?

Thanks for your interest in my problem.

The specs are -

- Computer - HP Z210 Workstation

- Operating System - Windows 7, 64-bit, Driver Version 6.1.7600.16385

- CPU - Intel Xeon E31240 @ 3.3Ghz

- RAM - 16Gb

- Display Adaptor #1 - ATI FirePro V4800 in PCI Slot 4

- Graphics Memory - 1Gb

- Driver Version 8.850.7.2000

- Display Adaptor #2 - NVIDIA Quandro 2000 in PCI Slot 2

- Graphics Memory - 1Gb

- Driver Version 8.17.12.7652

Device Manager reports "No conflicts" for both Dispay Adaptors

Let me know if you need additional information.

I tried to run 64bit AutoCAD in XP mode on 64-bit Win7, and had the same issue. I couldn't find a solution at the time, only many others with the same issue.

A current search revealed one guy that said he resolved it by changing the Windows cursor to a crosshair. I have my doubts if that would work all time, particularly when views are rotated, and/or when AutoCAD expects a pick point.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=autocad+windows+cursor+xp+mode&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGLL_enUS416US417&ie=UTF-8&aq=3&oq=autocad+windows+cursor+xp+mode

That's pretty discouraging! I've been doing some research on using AutoCAD versions that were made for 32-bit systems and keep running into references to Longbow Software Converter which allows you to run AutoCAD 2008 (and other versions) in the 64-bit environment with as much as 4GB of memory available. I think I'm going to try this approach and report back my results.

No, I assumed that 32-bit programs wouldn't run properly in a 64-bit environment. Im not running any add-ons just AutoCAD. Do you think it will run properly?

Wouldn't hurt to try. Some will, some won't.

Most programs designed for the 32-bit version of Windows will work on the 64-bit version of Windows. Notable exceptions are many antivirus programs.

Device drivers designed for 32-bit versions of Windows won't work on computers running a 64-bit version of Windows. If you're trying to install a printer or other device that only has 32-bit drivers available, it won't work correctly on a 64-bit version of Windows.

I unloaded AutoCAD from the Virtual XP environment, eliminated the Virtual Environment entirely and reloaded AutoCAD into the 64-bit enviroment. It seems to work fine (despite what Autodesk says)!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Charlie

• 3 months later...

I kept seeing same references to Longbow, but no reviews. My install on Virtual PC WinXP has never worked well -- I get really slow redraws (i.e. when I copy something it takes forever for the aperture to move across the screen to the location I think I've moved my mouse to). I suppose this might be fixed if I figured out how to allocate more memory to the graphics in XP mode? But I also have the cursor issue. Anyway I'm going to try an install of 2007 in Win7. Thanks for the report on your experience Charlie M. If anyone else has any ideas on fixing the XP install of 2004 or ways to install 2007 I'd be much obliged.

I kept seeing same references to Longbow, but no reviews. My install on Virtual PC WinXP has never worked well -- I get really slow redraws (i.e. when I copy something it takes forever for the aperture to move across the screen to the location I think I've moved my mouse to). I suppose this might be fixed if I figured out how to allocate more memory to the graphics in XP mode? But I also have the cursor issue. Anyway I'm going to try an install of 2007 in Win7. Thanks for the report on your experience Charlie M. If anyone else has any ideas on fixing the XP install of 2004 or ways to install 2007 I'd be much obliged.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Is your WHIPTHREAD set to 3?

If not try it, should speed you up a bit.

Raye, I hope your copy of 2007 came with a 64-bit and a 32-bit version like my 2008 did otherwise you may be forced to give Longbow a closer look. Good Luck!

The WHIPTHREAD variable controls the way AutoCAD uses the second processor (or core) in a multi-processor computer for display operations.

• 0 - use only a single processor (default)
  • 1 - regen done on multiple CPUs
  • 2 - redraw done on multiple CPUs
  • 3 - both regens and redraws done on multiple CPUs