Layer names

mathew21

I was just wondering if there is a proper or standardized format to the layer names you should use or if i should just use what works best to discribe what im drawing on the layer?

ive gotten bunch of drawings from engineers lately and they have all had differnt names for the layers

Each company is free to develop and use their own layer naming conventions. However, if two or more firms are working together on a project someone should have had the presence of mind to bring the subject up at one of the early planning meetings so everyone is literally on the same page.

I am also not aware of any industry standard for layer naming...sometimes the client will dictate or a company SHOULD have standards. When working on multi-discipline teams, I have found it easiest/cleanest to have each discipline have a prefix (C=civil, A=architect, S=structural, LS=landscape, etc.). I have also seen where different firms are assigned prefixes. As ReMark posted, it the standards should be laid out at the beginning of the project.

Honestly, the only real reason for a good layer standard is not only to just organize the drawing, but to utilize Layer Filters. This is where a good standard actually becomes useful and far worth the time put into it.