Can you guys judge our work?

AutoCadGenius

Here are some of our samples. We are just starting out. Please help us improve with your constructive comments.

we would like to know if these would be considered professional enough? we aren't using global illumination because our computer can't handle that setting.

Also, see the wood texture? Anyone know how to improve the wood texture? i think it looks great, we just need to make the grain more subtle.

gears no contact.jpg

dummy r5.jpg

salt and pepper shaker no contact.jpg

machined parts one no contact.jpg

Looking good to me. Are you doing this rendering in Autocad 2012? The wood grain just needs texture mapping co-ordinates applied to it and it should be fine. What audience and market are you trying to corner? Just starting out you say, doing what exactly?

Yes, AutoCad 2012.

my friend is just trying to get a job. they know 2D very well and now their trying to learn 3D.

we scaled the texture of the wood to try and make it look real for each board. but theres some grey tone in the wood that gives it too much contrast.

1. May I ask, do you think my friend did a good enough job to secure a position doing this type of work? we don't care what market, she would prefer to work from home.

2. We would love to find out how to secure autocad jobs where she could freelance but we aren't sure where to look, how to approach them, or what industries would need her. being female, she would love interior design or something of that nature rather than a manufacturing, but she will take any autocad job right now.

3. one more question, if we want more realistic renders do we need to use 3D Max?

4. Do you know a good tutorial on applying materials and editing them?

Yes I render everything in 3D Max. Autocad is not really that equipped for rendering. It can be done, but not as well as 3D Max. Now as far as learning how to apply materials and rendering is not rocket science, but it will take a little patience and time to learn it to good effect. As for tutorials, My 3D Max comes with some awesome tutorials and videos to follow and use. Buy some good books from a bookshop on 3D Max and rendering techniques or do a search here for rendering tutorials. Be patient, it is really hard at first, but you will catch on quickly if you persist.

Thank you, i appreciate you taking the time.

I will look for mapping textures by coordinates. I think thats different than choosing Materials Mapping in AutoCad.

Usually we just choose "Materials Mapping" then select the object and a 3D control comes up which allows use to Move/Scale/Rotate the texture to fit the object.

I'll look into your method of Mapping by Coordinates. Im assuming I can do this in AutoCad. We don't have 3D Max yet.

Thank you very much.

Yes you can do mapping co-ordinates in Autocad, it can be found in the materials toolbar and you can specify x, y, and z lengths to force the display of the material.

yeah, i think thats the same as selecting "Material Mapping" then selecting the object. Once you do that, AutoCad displays a 3D controller which you can then scale the texture, rotate the texture or move the texture.

does it look like our textures are messed up?

I think they look ok, maybe the wood texture just needs a little tweaking or a different map applied. Rotation of the map might just be the trick. I like the reflection you achieved in Autocad,.Nice job.

my god i feel like such a noob.

ok, 3DS Max or 3DS Design Max? Can 3DS Max do everything 3DS Design can do? we don't want to limit ourselves to just Architect work. we would like to take on other jobs that might be graphic design or other 3D projects. but we definitely want the "Design" features as well. I think 3DS Max covers everything the "Design" version does.

i really wish we could just use Cinema 4D, the app is nice, easy and fun

Got to say, have never used Cinema 4D before so can not comment on that one. If you find it easier to use and can get the same results, then sure why not use it. Vray materials, lights and cameras do a magnificent job rendering and that is why I use 3d Max. I will have to have a look at Cinema 4D and see what it can do.

Thanks, Khama.

I was just thinking it would be best to follow what the industry uses.

So what about:

3DS Max

or

3DS Max Design?

The lady at AutoDesk said 3DS Max Design is more for autocad professionals and the 3DS Max is geared towards character and animation. So I would want the design package? Does that mean that i can't do simple animation with 3DS Max Design?

I know this sounds simple but the answer isn't clear.