HVAC installations 3D

myself

A desktop computer with an Intel i5 or i7 (2nd generation) CPU would be a good choice.

Maybe you could bump the RAM (just thinking ahead) to 6 or even 8GB and then add a mid-range graphics card rather than going with an onboard graphics chip.

It might be nice to know what kind of budget you have to work with so you can play around with the configuration if you need to.

I'd also look into a 21" LCD widescreen monitor.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tzframpton

• myself

• ReMark

• SLW210

Since you told me how towork with constructs, things have been good, i feel like the computer answers all what i ask it, however when i open the general view that i've created with all the spaces, i can barely walk through the model to see how things work together. And the building is not even half of what has to be in the end. Do you have any tip of how to manage with big models?

And about the computer,your right, my machine is nice…. And i really like to work on my laptop, this way i can take everything home with me and even look at it on weekends or show to some friends to discuss what i am doing right or wrong.

Laptops are much easier to 1) lose, 2) steal, 3) spill a drink on and 4) knock off the table and onto the floor too.

You'll also have to shell out more money for a laptop with a dedicated graphics card and 16GB of RAM.

Since you told me how towork with constructs, things have been good, i feel like the computer answers all what i ask it, however when i open the general view that i've created with all the spaces, i can barely walk through the model to see how things work together. And the building is not even half of what has to be in the end. Do you have any tip of how to manage with big models?

Best thing to do is to not use AutoCAD MEP to "walk through" the model.

What I do is export the model as a 3D DWFx file, and use Design Review to view the model. So much better in performance and looks. :)

I suspect that RAM, like anything else, is going to be much higher over in Portugal.

I'd been helping a former CADTutor member who lives in the Philippines get parts for his computer and in some cases it is cheaper for me to buy the parts here and mail them to him than it is to buy them there. Also, you wouldn't believe the cheap stuff they get from China by companies I never heard of. If you want anything of "quality" you end up either not being able to find it or if you do it costs an arm and a leg.

• 3 weeks later...

Here I am again with some questions about Autocad MEP with the perspective of accomplish with success my model.

By the way,I already got my new computer, pretty impressive machine, with 16GB of memory,120GB of hard disk, though a new generation of hard disks, much faster than the old ones according to the guy that brought the computer, and i3-2130 CPU3.40GHz processor. The only problem was the graphic card which is on board, not exactly what I expected, but they asked me to try for some days and then we would talk about it. Their point is that the computer has a lot of memory and it can perfectly shared for graphic purpose.

Anyway, the real reason than brings me here, is that “StykFacE” mention that to make it easier watch their models, he exports the model to 3d DWF, I’ve done that and it worked pretty nice, however my question is if can change the presentation mode just like I do on Autocad, from Hidden to Realistic, Shaded and so on.

Don’t be mad with just because I make this questions, i am really excited with this model and I feel comfortable to come here and ask about everything.

With Autodesk Design Review 2012, under the Home Tab > View Panel, there's an option to switch view modes from Shaded, Edges Only, and Shaded with Edges.

Another one... i have to install one of those grilles specific for round ducts, do you know which kind of connector should i use? the truth is that there's no specific connector, but the grille itself is attached to the duct. Do you know what i mean?

I wouldn't worry about the actual connector unless you're trying to produce 100% fabrication drawings, scheduled and all. Are you using a standard louvered lay-in ceiling diffuser with a round neck? If so, usually low pressure duct runs use "flex duct" for the last 5 feet of tie-in.

My model is going pretty well, and i am impressed with how much we can do on Autocad MEP,opening again the discussion about the development of Revit and AutoCAD MEP,both programs seem to be offering the exact same things, is there many tasks that you couldn’t do with one of them? And now with IFC file formats is possible to export information between both platforms.

My idea is always until each point is necessary to spend loads of money training people on Revit MEP, when just after some minutes they could be already making huge progress on AutoCAD MEP, plus more comfortable creating mvparts and other components right away.

I know this has been discussed before, but i like to have my fundaments to defend one or other positions. You know, the issue here is that when I talk in programs like this,the answer i receive from the people who decide which way to go, is that we have some companies asking us for 2004 dwg formats, so we could not think too much ahead in times of crises like this.

whats your opinion about all this? 8)

both programs seem to be offering the exact same things
One thing needs to be clear, these programs do not offer the exact same thing. Revit is a whole other beast altogether. It is not AutoCAD MEP, nor does it work like AutoCAD MEP. The only similarities is they are geared toward the MEP specific market. The way you design, even the approach of your design, is completely different in each program. Unless you are working with a Revit Architectural model, I wouldn't move to Revit MEP at all as the "program of choice". Definitely use it if you want, it'll only gain you better experience and understanding when a Revit job finally comes your way but I wouldn't make the switch just yet in my opinion.

Another question to the table.I’ve committed a terrible mistake by setting the flange extension for every “duct”and “duct fitting” to 50mm, the issue now is that I wanna change them all to 25mm. I’ve tried to change it through “quickselect”, where I could even find an option for flange extension, but it just doesn’t work, it doesn’t select any part through there. i guess that its because they are on different systems, but i'm not sure. I’ve notice also that if I select all the elements and then filter them just for ducts, the flange extension field doesn’t appear as an option to change in all of them…. Anyone there to help me with this one?:geek:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again, just going back to Project Navigator, does anyone knows if it's possible to connect a duct that crosses from one construct to another maintaining for instance, the flow rate from the previous construct file?

Not that this is predominant for my work right now, but it may be important in the future to make the duct calculations.

This is where AutoCAD MEP has its downfall and Revit MEP has its advantage. You cannot "blend" objects from one Construct to another. It has to all reside in one Construct if you want to take advantage of the analysis and load tools.

• 4 weeks later...

hello there, i'm facing a terrible problem creating the 3D DWF, the process runs smoothly with no problem, but then when i open, an error occurs and the design review shuts down. i'm afraid this may be happen because there's to much information and it blocks the program, i mean this because when creating a the same file with less "construct files" the prblem does not happen....

Does anyone knows about other program that could be better to open and visualize this kind of file?

I can open the file perfectly on autocad mep, the issue is that i cant travel through, is to heavy....

final thought, has this ever happen to anyone here?

Use Navisworks Freedom instead. It can open DWF/DWFx files too. As for your error, I wouldn't know. Just try different options, different files, etc to narrow down the problem.

FYI, please start new threads for things like this. This thread has went long enough. :)