"Meandering" Groove

hrsnblm

Hello,

I've done several 3D modeling and prefer to build a model first before laying out parts for construction. Right now I am working on a cylindrical insert the has chambers internally and o-ring grooves on the exterior. So far all has gone well. However, now I need to create an o-ring groove that runs around the cylinder and has "bends" in a couple of positions to route the o-ring around ports. I can not figure out how to create these "bent o-rings" and make them such that I can subtract them from the cylinder and have the proper grooves.

I would appreciate any and all assistance. Thanks

Hopefully I did this right, but I attached a drawing of the cyclinder for information.

cyl ex.dwg

Maybe you're looking for something more complicated, but in my mind, I'm thinking the following steps can get the desired effect:

1. You create side view of your o-ring with the bend in it, extrude it.

2. Then in plan, draw a circe (or donut) with the desired internal and external radius of your o-ring, extrude that so that it intersects your side view.

3. Follow up with INTERSECT to get your finished ring. Then place it on your part and subtract it to get the desired groove?

20120229001.gif

Edited by Denimoth

hrsnblm: I don't suppose you could indicate where this o-ring groove is going to be located and what shape it is going to be could you?

No response. I guess he got it all figured out. Good for him. :)

Edited by ReMark

I tried that but I was unable to be successful in creating a path that I could sweep. I keep getting errors when I try to create a single object out of the pieces that I made to be the path. I can do fairly well in a lot of areas but there are still some ideas I have trouble with.

Thanks for the info. I will give it a try and see if I can be successful

Have you had any luck getting your groove back?