Block size is driving me nuts

King Stevo

1:2.5 sounds more like a Metric scale than an Imperial Scale, but aside from that, if it's too small, change it's scale in Properties.

Graphic Scale.gif

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• King Stevo

• nestly

• kapureef

• bill_borec

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

Thanks for the hi-tech response. Sorry I should have been a little clearer. I didn't mean that the scale itself was too small, I meant the actual size of the bar (once inserted) was tiny. i.e. say for example I was putting the scale bar under a door measuring 3'0" in width. The scale bar was about 1/100th of the size of the door.

I know how to increase the size of the scale bar to make it visible on the page (i.e. scale X or scale Y), but I wasn't sure that if I did this - I was mucking up the actual reference scale? Does that make sense? Sorry - hard to explain when you're talking abot two scales at the same time.

BTW - what screen capture program did you use to show me that aid? Looks like it could be very handy if I had another question.

Thanks again for you time and your help.

Do you mean you're trying to use a scale bar to show the dimension of a door? You should use a dimension for that. Scale bars typically go in a corner and are just a visual reference of the scale, they're not intended for precise measurements.

The animated gif above was made with Camtasia Studio, (not free) but the same company (Techsmith) offers a simple and free video screen capture program called Jing that works very well. They also give you free storage space to upload your screen captures/videos

http://www.techsmith.com/products.html

No I get that, thanks. I'm not using the scale bar for any dimensions, I was just using the door reference as an example that when I first insert the scale bar to the page it's tiny - i.e. a fraction of the 3'0" door.

Thanks for the tip on the screen capture. I've always been looking for a good one (everytime I look at a YouTube video of a PC screen capture) I've always wondered what they use. I've tried a few before, (mainly for capturing flash video which I know is different) - but none of them ever worked properly for me.)

An Imperial scale bar from the Tool Palette should come in at 2" long. If it's actually "100x" smaller than your door opening, then either the door isn't really 36" wide, or the INSUNITS aren't inches.

Cheers for that - yeah that's the problem alright. The drawing is in feet and anything throughout the course of draughting the plan (that I've tried to inserty) has been in inches. I've gone into the properties of the item and seen that it was in inches, but it doesn't allow you to change this measurement/scale setting in properties? When I type the command INSUNITS, it only allows me to enter a vaule (i.e. 1, 2, etc.) not change the measurement setting.

My only problem now is - I have changed the scale factor of X, Y of the scale bar to 25, so it's a decent size to see on the layout page. Then from the little blue drop-down arrow (on the scale bar), I can change the scale from 1:1, to 1:10 or whatever. Final question is: let's say I leave the scale as 1" = 2'0", how do I know for sure that 4'0" on the scale bar really is 4'0" on my drawing?

When I type the command INSUNITS, it only allows me to enter a vaule (i.e. 1, 2, etc.) not change the measurement setting.

"1" is inches, "2" is feet, "3" is miles, "4" is millimeters etc etc.... but that's too cryptic, instead use the dialog box for UNITS, where you can set INSUNITS from a dropdown list. For Imperial Architectural drawings, always use Inches. In fact, if you try to use anything else, AutoCAD will warn you....

Regarding the size of the Scale Bar. If you insert it with the proper INSUNITS, it will be right, ie it will correct for 1" = 1'-0" If you change the scale with the blue arrow to 1" = 2'-0" then you have to make the scalebar twice as large, which you do by changing it's scale with the properties palette. If want the scalebar to represent 1" = 10'-0" with the blue arrow, then you have to make the scalebar 12x larger, again done with the properties palette. If in doubt, measure or dimension the scalebar to verify that it's display matches it's actual measurement.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the door block! Well done. I've been looking for something like this but have not learned how to make a dynamic block. If you ever make a double door, I would love to get my hands on it. Thanks - Ed

• 1 year later...
Hi all,

Ok, so I am a newbie here (and to AutoCAD). I did attend a beginners 4-day course a few months ago (before I got CAD in work) and I've forgotten half of it.

I started on a new template - changed 'units' to architectural as this project needs to be measured in feet & inches. I started a general floor plan (mainly by using straight lines to mark out rooms etc.) All fairly simply. Then I came to putting in doors and went straight to 'blocks' only to find that there obviously wasn't any there.

Through the help of online tutorials, I've drafted a new block called 'door' designed it (straight line & arc etc.) and edited the block to apply 'stretch' and 'flip' commands. All ok.

I set up a new layer called 'Doors' (just in case I want to hide them at some point) and set it as 'current'. When I inserted a block of the door - the scale of it is totally wrong?

I went back in to block editor and the door is set up properly. The properties say all measurements are correct, but the inserted door is tiny. (I can obviously adjust it on screen to look right, but when I use the measure tool to check - what should be a 3'6" door it only measures 1'10" - even though it looks right?)

I've tried block editor a million times - and tool palettes too, but I can't figure out why the door is not inserting into the drawing to scale?

Please help - I'm hitting my head off a brick wall here...

Thanks in advance.

Try these commands for sizing blocks

INSUNITS - Specifies a drawing units value for blocks or images inserted from DesignCenter

0 Unspecified (No units)

1 Inches

2 Feet

INSUNITSDEFSOURCE - Sets source content units value

0 Unspecified (No units)

1 Inches

2 Feet

INSUNITSDEFTARGET - Sets target drawing units value

0 Unspecified (No units)

1 Inches

2 Feet

INSUNITS - Specifies a drawing units value for blocks or images inserted from DesignCenter

0 Unspecified (No units)

1 Inches

2 Feet

0 Unspecified (No units)

1 Inches

2 Feet

0 Unspecified (No units)

1 Inches

2 Feet

Try these commands.

To Start-Set to zero for both source dwg and target dwg.

If that does not work. It may be your block is not drawn to scale.

Good Luck

INSUNITS - Specifies a drawing units value for blocks or images inserted from

0 Unspecified (No units)

1 Inches

2 Feet

0 Unspecified (No units)

1 Inches

2 Feet

0 Unspecified (No units)

1 Inches