proxy graphics

Sid0201

Next question!! What are proxy graphics and why cant I view them?!....trying to view a site layout drawing and half of it is missing, the person who sent me it uses draftsight rather than AutoCAD has that got anything to do with it?

Those are drawing entities created by either (1) superior versions of AutoCAD, (2) dedicated packs based on AutoCAD, (3) third-part applications running on AutoCAD or (4) drawings made in other CAD software; those aren't recognized / fully recognized by your current version of AutoCAD. For some cases you may find enabler tools.

Regards,

Mircea

Ok so it cant view them because its been done on draftsight is there anyway of viewing them? like saving as a different file type? or copy & pasting in to CAD?

I think the correct term is "proxy objects".

If you were sharing files with someone who was using an AutoCAD vertical product (ex. - AutoCAD MEP) it would be possible to download and install an object enabler that would give you the ability to view those unique objects that were created with the other program. Since you are sharing files with a person using an AutoCAD clone, Draftsight, there are no such enablers.

Proxy Graphics are objects with properties that are not native to AutoCAD. AutoCAD attempts to display them as best it can, but the proxy objects cannot be directly modified by AutoCAD unless an Object Enabler is available for that particular type of object.

I'm not familar with Draftsite, but I certainly would not be surprised if some Draftsite objects are not entirely compatible with AutoCAD. Some 3rd party software does have their own Object Enablers to make it compatible with AutoCAD.

http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocad/enu/online-help/search#WS1a9193826455f5ffa23ce210c4a30acaf-59c5.htm

When you open the drawing will see a report on Proxy object (may enable/disable it in Option). You will need to investigate each case for solution.

Regards,

Mircea

AFAIK Draftsight does not create anything that would be a proxy object in AutoCAD. Most likely it was originally something created as mentioned by msasu, then passed on by your friend.

Do you have OBJECT ENABLERS installed?

See if THIS helps your problem.

I think the correct term is "proxy objects".

I haven't seen them for a long time because I have all the necessary OE's installed, but I distinctly recall them being referred to as "proxy graphics" in the Info box that popped up in AutoCAD2005.

**edit*** found an old post of mine with a screencap of the proxy graphics popup from AC2011

No I dont have any enablers installed but export to autoCAD seems to have worked thanks SLW, however in line with what is said in your link

"You can create a new version of a drawing file with all proxy AEC objects exploded into basic AutoCAD objects. The new version of the drawing loses the intelligence of the custom AEC objects, but the resulting basic objects can be displayed and accessed in earlier versions of AutoCAD when object enablers are not available for those versions."

the drawing is basic and has no blocks etc. so I will have to look in to getting enablers installed.

Thanks for the help!

So a proxy object is not the same as a proxy graphic is what you are saying?

I'm not sure what I'm saying....

The pop-up Info box does/did only reference proxy graphics, not proxy objects. I think that proxy graphics are what AutoCAD uses to display proxy objects. :? OK, I'll stop guessing now..

If you open the drawing, you should be able to use FILTER, and perhaps QSELECT to find the proxy objects/graphics. They'll behave similar to blocks or xrefs, in that you'll be able to select them, but they won't have grips on them except perhaps one at the insertion point. Or post the drawing and someone here can figure out how to have AutoCAD show them directly.

"Proxy Objects" are blocks made of "Proxy Graphics".

That makes sense... I pretty much just had it backwards.

• 5 months later...

I have a 3d model dwg that originates from a scanning program. I've tryed to import it into Rhino but nothing shows. There is a message that there might be a problem with proxy graphics. I've tried AECTOACAD and I've also tried to EXPLODE everything in Acad 2010 before I try to import it into Rhino, still no result. Does anyone know how to solve this?

• 3 years later...

Hi,

I have been using AutoCAD 2012 for a few years now (only just today upgraded to 2016) but for the past 6 months or so, any drawings that I create in AutoCAD cause this "proxy graphics" window to come up for my colleague.

We have both been using AutoCAD 2012 LT and as I said, it has only been happening in the past 6 months or so. Before that it was fine which makes it unusual. Also, there is nothing on the drawing which is missing when he opens it and it has all entirely been created on the same program on a different PC (drawing border, logo & all). This happens for every single drawing that I create!

The other weird thing is, I created our drawing borders & it happens when he opens the CAD blank template drawing too, but it never used to happen!

Does anybody have any ideas?

Please help,

Liam

There is nothing wrong. AutoCAD is letting you know that there are proxy graphics and wants to know how you would them handled. If you would like more specific information about your issues, please start another thread.

But is there anything that we could do to prevent this happening? I know it takes a second to click the box & away you go in the drawing, but he may go into 30+ drawings per day of mine & it is just annoyingly repetitive.

If there isn't anything available then I suppose he will have to just grin & bear it (at the end of the day it doesn't affect me so I'm alright) but I just thought it would be worth checking on just in case it was something wrong or something which could be fixed.

Also, thanks for the quick reply, very unexpected in such an old thread.