How can I run Revit 2012 32-bits version in Windows 7 64-bit?

FL1992

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FL1992

• ReMark

• RobDraw

• Lee Roy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dagdag, isn't Longbow Converter just for Autocad?

Seems that you are correct, sorry I've never used it, just checked it out after ReMark posted the link to it, but it looks like a great tool for Autocad compatibility issues.

If you have Revit 2011 64-bit running on this computer what was the point of trying to install Revit 2012 32-bit?

My sentiments exactly. If 2011 is running okay, 2012 will more than likely be fine as I suggested before. You may run into a slow responce, if your models get intense.

Do you have an iso image of your original setup as it came from the factory or wherever you bought it? I don't know what went wrong with the install for Revit 2012 32-bit but it sounds like it was so corrupted it would take some serious tinkering to rid your system of all the associated files that were installed as well as cleaning out your Registry. It might be better in the long run to wipe the drive and reinstall your OS. That's one reason why I asked about what other programs you went and installed. Seems like you went "all in" when you got this new system instead of taking it slowly. Been there...done that..suffered as well for my lack of experience.

In the future, whenever you install a new program first create a system restore point as a form of insurance so you can get back to your previous setup in case of a disaster.

As much as it pains me, I have to say ReMark has some good advise there. Been there, done that, too. As drastic as it may seem, it is probably the easiest way to fix the issue.

BTW, just to make sure we are clear. The original problem was with installing the 64 bit version. The OP thought he could fix that by installing the 32 bit version, instead.

I wanted to install the 32 bit version because the 64 won't work. Since Revit's install setup ¨detects¨ if the computer works on 32 or 64 bit I can't choose the 32 bit version.

I know it sounds stupid to install Revit 2012 32-bit, but I wanted to do so because when I installed the 64-bit version I couldn't make it work.

I will resintall the OS and take your advice, ReMark.

Thank you very much for your help!

As much as it pains me, I have to say ReMark has some good advise there. Been there, done that, too. As drastic as it may seem, it is probably the easiest way to fix the issue.

BTW, just to make sure we are clear. The original problem was with installing the 64 bit version. The OP thought he could fix that by installing the 32 bit version, instead.

Right, I thought so.

Well how good are you at delving into the inner workings of the Windows Registry? Do you think you could find and delete all the necessary entries pertinent to Revit? Do we have any idea what else Revit gets its hooks into? You would have to literally do a "hunt and destroy". That could take a fair amount of time then you would have to ask yourself "How sure am I that I got everything?"

I've followed this thread. After hearing that the OP delved into the Registry and deleted files...reformat it.

I like to think of myself as pretty techy, but even I don't screw with the Registry without first creating a backup on a thumb drive. Also, as ReMark said, always make a System Restore Point before installing software.

Reformat the computer. Yeah, you'll have downtime while backing up files and doing the reformat, but it will save you a lot of "hunt and destroy" headache.

There's no reason your computer shouldn't run Revit Arch 2012, my Dell XPS M1330 runs it just fine (wish I had a better GPU, though). I think you missed something in the install, then botched the uninstall. It takes a while; it may look like it's doing nothing, but just let it sit.

At the risk of sounding like a total *&%^$, as I read the OP the guy said the file he had was a .rar file. This is not the way AutoDesk distributes it's products, either by download or by purchase of direct media.

On the other hand, many bit torrent and pirate sites store iillegal copies of software in rar files. The other thing these files contain are viruses, trojan horses and all kinds of spyware. I'm kind of surprised no one mentioned this in the thread.

I'm also still amazed at how many people think you cannot run 32 bit software on a 64 bit OS. You can run 32 bit software on a 64 bit OS. Notice I say OS, because until only recently, many vendors sold 64 bit machines with 32 bit OS on them.

There's all kinds of things that could be wrong with this guy's setup and the first thing I would suspect is that the rar file he started with was not a pure AutoDesk copy and there is no telling what it comtains.

At the risk of sounding like a total *&%^$

As soon as you say that, it's too late.:lol:

I'd like to add one thing to what you say about running 32 bit software. That is that not all software designed to run on a 32 bit OS will run on a 64 bit OS.

"That is that not all software designed to run on a 32 bit OS will run on a 64 bit OS."

Is it because some 32-bit software also contains 16-bit code?

"That is that not all software designed to run on a 32 bit OS will run on a 64 bit OS."

Is it because some 32-bit software also contains 16-bit code?

I don't know why. I just know from personal experience and Microsoft.com also says that "most", not all, software designed for 32 bit OS will run on a 64 bit OS.

the guy said the file he had was a .rar file. This is not the way AutoDesk distributes it's products, either by download or by purchase of direct media.

I completely missed that part.

Hacker.

:P

Hacker? The OP has a chronic lung disease too? I feel bad for the poor guy.

I dunno about him, but I have pneumonia, again.

*hack*