How can I run Revit 2012 32-bits version in Windows 7 64-bit?

FL1992

Last week I downloaded Revit Architecture 2012 from the Autodesk webpage into my computer. The file I downloaded is a 32/64 bit .rar. I started to run the installer and an error (Error 1722) appeared.

After some research and investigation in the web I founded out that I can't run the 64bit version in my Notebook because it requires an i5 2300 quad-core and my computer has an i5 2430 dual core. Moreover I have 4GB in my RAM memory and the program requires 8GB.

So, when I tried to install once more the Revit 2012, the installer tells me I have installed the Revit but not the Desgin Review and the Material Library. When I tried to run the Autodesk Revit Architecture 2012 it won't work and when I tried to uninstall the file from my control panel I just couldn't.

I followed the steps in this link: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=16828836&linkID=9243099 but the problem is I can do everything except the uninstall.

Anyway, I wanted to know if it is possible to run just the 32bit version installer and therefore be able to use Revit Architecture 2012. Does anyone know how to do that?

And on the other hand, does anyone know how can I uninstall the 64bits version I have in my Pc?

I hope I could make myself clear.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FL1992

• ReMark

• RobDraw

• Lee Roy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What version of Windows 7 are you running on this laptop?

Either you would have to run the program in XP Mode or you would have to use a 3rd-party program like Longbow Converter to run it.

Did you follow the recommended advice for installing any new piece of software and create a RESTORE point prior to loading Revit?

I have the Windows 7 Home Premium version.

I tried to run in it in XP mode and it won't work.

I'm sorry, but what do you mean by a RESTORE point?

I think that my problems would be solved if I could run the setup and install the 32bits version. Do you know if there is anyway in which I can do that?

It won't run in XP Mode in Home Premium. You would need to be using either the Pro, Ultimate and Enterprise versions.

Per Microsoft: System Restore uses restore points to return your system files and settings to an earlier point in time, without affecting personal files.

Win7 might have created one automatically when you installed Revit. Why don't you check.

I was curious about this. A quick search revealed that the system specifications are actually recommended not required. I think that your system can run Revit 2012 64 bit as long as your models aren't too intense.

Error 1722 looks like it has to do with the Windows Installer and not Revit.

Here's something to look at:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/error-1722-with-windows-7/3b7278c4-5fd8-49b4-96f2-52ddcdbc7436

I think that my problems would be solved if I could run the setup and install the 32bits version. Do you know if there is anyway in which I can do that?

This tidbit is from Tips & Tricks on the LONGBOW CONVERTER website, which ReMark suggested......

lonbow converter tip.JPG

After some research and investigation I found out that the Error 1722 had to do, as you say, with the Windows Installer.

I made all the Windows updates AFTER installing Revit to see if I could solve the problem. But still I can't uninstall Revit and therefore I'm unable to reinstall it. I tried by eliminating all the data in the Regedit, all temp files, etc. but I can't uninstall it. I also tried to uninstall it with CCleaner and TuneUp Utilities but the result is the same: The uninstaller doesn't appear on the screen. Any idea of how I could solve the problem?

Have you actually tried to reinstall Revit without uninstalling it? It sounds like because the first install failed, even though files were copied and there were registry changes, it might not have actually been fully installed.

Is there a repair option for Revit, instead of reinstall?

Did you look into System Restore as ReMark suggested? It's in System Tools. You may be doing more harm than good trying to eliminate it manually.

I did Restore the system but I couldn't find a solution to the problem.

According to the installer, the install actually failed, but when I run the installer once more it gives me the option to just install Desing Review and the Material Library, marking Revit as if it was already installed. Unfortunately, as other Autodesk products, the reinstall option just appears when you run the uninstall option in the control panel.

That is my problem, I can't open the uninstall option.

I go to Control Panel>uninstall a program and when I click uninstall on Autodesk Revit Architecture 2012 the uninstall won't run.

I'm sorry but this is beyond my scope of knowledge. It appears that you have missed something during your brute force cleanup. Revit puts stuff in a lot of places and more manual deletions may help or they mare cause more harm. You should concider contacting your Autodesk reseller or Autodesk directly.

Please let us know what you come up with.

ReMark, when you told me to use the System Restore I went to the Control Panel and in System I selected ¨Restore files [...] from a Restore Point¨. I believe you referred to that when you told me to Restore the System, isn't it?

Anyway, when I run the restore I had one restore point created on March 5th and the other on March 4th. Nonetheless I have the computer since march 3rd (same day I installed Revit).

So, if I restored from the restore point created on march 4th wouldn't I still have the same problem?

Any restore point, to be effective, would have had to have a date previous to the one Revit was installed on.

Is this a new computer?

If so, what else, besides Revit did you load after purchase?

Yes it is.

Well, I loaded archicad to check if a similar program would cause the same problem. I also have artlantis, dropbox, adobe reader, etc. but Revit was the first one I loaded and the only file which I have had trouble with.