Lost DWG icon association in 2012

MichaelJ07

Using Windows 7, suddenly (and without my permission I might add), the icon associated with drawing files has changed and I no longer see that nice DWG icon.

Don't mind who took it, but I want it back (unharmed and no charges will be filed.) I find no way to re-associate a drawing file with that icon (unlike in XP.)

Any suggestions from this group?

Thank you,

Mike

Using Windows Explorer find a DWG file, right-click on it then select the Open with option. Choose from the available appropriate programs. I would think that would re-establish the file association.

Hi, when you right click on a dwg file and say "open with" do you not have an option there to define whether it uses "Autocad application" or "Autocad dwg Laucher" or "Select Standard software". Based on this association it should display the correct icon i believe.

If the text above inside the quotes is not 100% correct it is because I am using a german version of win7.

let us know if that helps

Another option.

Click on Start, DeFault Programs, and at next window click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

Thanks for the speedy replies. I have done all of them and nothing yet. I will continue to try. I just like the DWG icon. Silly thing I know, but it's these small silly things that make a bigger picture (although sometimes leaning a bit to the left. :D

Windows does allow for the changing of icons by the user but if you made the correct association there should be no need to make a change. What association did you make?

moz-screenshot.pngmoz-screenshot-1.pngWell, it's a red A with a folded upper right corner. Looks ugly. Don't know how to send a pic of it here. If you google and image serach for DWG icon, you will see what I used to have and want back. For all I know, I probably never had it in the first place. Probably remembering my XP days (which were the best in my opinion.)

I have associated the dwg extension with the Autocad.exe as opposed to the Autocad Launcher. Was only given these two options in windows 7.

Life is in details, isn't it? :cry:

Thanks for all your assistance. I really do appreciate it.

Mike

PS: I donn't know if that print screen worked or not. Apparently, if I can't see it, neither can you......but you might.

That's what I thought. I have the same Icon.

If you don't mind, which one does your system show? The DWG one or the "A" one?

I could always reinstall and get the DWG one back ( I guess) and lose, in the process, all my custom settings (certainly) which I forgot to write down as I did them. Nice! :oops:

You needed replacing anyway. :|

There's my little lost icon!! I loved that thing like a son! I'll still keep searching for it. Heading out to nail up fliers on the local telephone poles.....

Thanks.

Hi, when you right click on a dwg file and say "open with" do you not have an option there to define whether it uses "Autocad application" or "Autocad dwg Laucher" or "Select Standard software". Based on this association it should display the correct icon i believe.

If the text above inside the quotes is not 100% correct it is because I am using a german version of win7.

let us know if that helps

I believe that feargt has properly identified the source of the problem. You have the file association property set to open .dwg files with Autocad, instead of Autocad DWG Launcher.

Change it to DWG Launcher and I think you will be a happy camper. :)

I believe that feargt has properly identified the source of the problem. You have the file association property set to open .dwg files with Autocad, instead of Autocad DWG Launcher.

Change it to DWG Launcher and I think you will be a happy camper. :)

No, that will not fix it. It is a Windows 7/Autodesk registry problem. And unlike XP Windows 7 has no option to adjust file type Icons.

I had to use THIS to fix mine. You will need to change the icon, then change it back.

Windows 7 Default AutoCAD Icon

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33529[/ATTACH]

Now I have this Icon

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33530[/ATTACH]

I have moved this to the AutoCAD Bugs, Error Messages & Quirks forum.